Anyone Here Play with a Disability

When I was younger I used to do everything. My parents raised me to be independent so I can do a lot on my own. As I am older I am more limited but I do not let that stop me. I have always been that person who goes after what I want even though it will be hard. I will always try things and will not give up.

8 Likes

ablegamers org

Here is a site to check out and I know there are other sites to help get ways to over come any disability

2 Likes

I want to hear more about this amazing device!

@OPā€¦ You are extremely lucky to be alive! I had a distant cousin, on my motherā€™s side of the family, whom I was in preschool with, and he had Cerebral Palsy as well. It eventually killed him a few years ago, when he was only 25 years old.

Iā€™m on the mild side of the Autism Spectrum. Asperger Syndrome, specifically. It doesnā€™t make really have any impact gameplay wise, but socially, I need to put a bit more effort when Iā€™m talking with another person.

4 Likes

ANYONE HERE PLAY WITH A DISABILITY
If bad luck and/or poor judgement are considered disabilities, then yes.

Always been curious as to whether I might have something like that. Because Iā€™ve been playing MMOs for 20+ years, since the early days of EQ, and since Vanilla WoW and the social aspect of these games has always been literally the most challenging part of it. I enjoyed the worlds and its lore so always tried to push through but it was always frustrating not having a great network of people to help out with the various stuff in these games. Always felt left behind while close-knit groups and guilds rode by me on the way to challenge their epic content.

I am trying to get in touch with some professional help though so weā€™ll see if I have something or if I just suck, lol.

3 Likes

Technically yes, although it isnā€™t anything that impacts my gaming performance. Iā€™ve got something called aphantasia, which basically means I donā€™t have a mindā€™s eye. Honestly, I thought that was something everyone had; any time I was asked to picture something in my head, I would just kinda pretend to do it, and I thought everyone else did too.

3 Likes

So you canā€™t imagine anything in your mind? Is that what that means?

Holy crap I had no idea that was a thing, or that I had it, until just now.

Iā€™m not kidding about that.

Iā€™ve heard people say all their lives to ā€œvisualizeā€ something but I thought that ws just metaphor.

1 Like

Yes, exactly. If you tell me to imagine an apple, I will think of all the apple-related facts I know, but will always stop short of actually visualizing an apple. Itā€™s simply not possible for me.

Yeah! This is exactly what I thought too.

1 Like

Everyday. Whenever I log in I keep running into stupid people.

Migraine light sensitivity & Asthma

Youā€™re not alone:)

1 Like

The top raiding guild on my realm in classic had a deaf main tank. He was awesome. Everyone learned to type really REALLY fast back then.

One time I got invited to their Onyxia fight so we were all sitting around inside buffing and talking on Vent. The tank runs in, past us and keeps going to Ony. People are yelling in vent, people are typing stuff like, ā€œsttoop sop sttppā€ lmao. Of course he body pulled, chaos and somehow whelps and panic and Wipe. Big Wipe.

He was on autorun, not looking at his screen. Funniest wipe ever.

Not sure if that helps the OP but deaf tank pull is better than another guild raid later in Icecrown when the big busty healer girl leaned over her keyboard and pulled one of those fugly bosses. That was also hilarious Vent times.

2 Likes

I have slower reactions, older fingers limiting speedy moves. I use an older Nostromo N52. It works beautifully. I donā€™t raid or dungeon, avoiding grouping as I donā€™t feel I measure up to a lot of people. BUT I do have fun and thatā€™s really all that matters.

6 Likes

Disabled? No. Mediocre at the game? You betcha. And I have a few current level mythic raid kills haha.

All joking aside, I have probably worse than age level aches and pains. But the worst it causes is me. To fidget when j play. Sometimes I have to walk away, even in a raid it can hurt so bad.

But nothing I would call a disavlbility. Glad you are finding your fun in the game though. I challenge you to push yourself. Get some foot pedals a great gaming mouse and go ham.

Even if others already have, on behalf of all veterans, you have our thanks for helping one of our injured brothers in arms. /salute

Semper Fi! :us:

2 Likes

I got a question, would people call Autism a Disability or just Mental Health issues?

I mean, I have Anxiety and Depression, and I know they donā€™t fall under as a Disability, but Iā€™m also Autistic and wondering if autism actually falls under as a disability or not.

I mean, I donā€™t know, I havenā€™t seen the fight live.

But what does a mic require that canā€™t be done with, perhaps, some keyboard macros and a RAID ALERT?

From several places that I have read, Autism is considered a disability. Iā€™m sure it would be dependent on the severity of the autism.

1 Like