Anyone else having issues with Cox?

Anytime I want to play WoW the internet will drop and it takes a while to try to reset it. Could be the modem being bad could also be that Cox is horrible. But being in Arizona, I’ve got two options, Cox and CenturyLink and CL isn’t much better?

Anyone else having issues with Cox when they play WoW?

1 Like

I disconnected a couple times yesterday.

I’m on the cheapest plan, might upgrade it.

Ironically I don’t think we’re on the cheapest plan. And it’s still beong horrible. Even with friends in the area. I’d like to play longer than two minutes.

Or at the very least be able to do homework. But on the otherhand I’ve been playing my Switch more.

ISPs having a monopoly and providing terrible service to customers because they can?

Government: I sleep

Microsoft buying Blizzard

Government: Real Sh**

4 Likes

Do you use the wifi router they provide?

I have a netgear “Orbi” mesh wifi system and I suspect it could also be causing issues. I’m going to try connecting direct to modem for a bit to rule it out. But it’s so random its hard to tell when it will happen.

I don’t think so. Our router’s a Linksys. We used to have problems when it rained during monsoon season too. Though this is getting dumb.

Noticed the same thing during monsoons. I used to have CenturyLink and didn’t have any problems with WoW but in my area they only offer 50mbs which isn’t good enough.

I didn’t know what cox was here I thought this thread was seeking medical support glad I was wrong.

I was going to say they make a pill for that

Lmao no. It’s a bad ISP.

Getting disconnected every couple of minutes sounds like a signal attenuation problem. Probably caused by a bad drop.

Basically your modem is set to connect at a certain speed and if the signal isn’t strong enough to allow for that speed it’ll time out after a bit and try once again to connect at the speed it cannot maintain.

Just some useless knowledge to ponder while you try to get the cable company to come out and check your signal strength.

Could be. Though it could be that theyre just god awful. Anytime i look at isitdown there’s multiple people complaining of the same thing. This has been going on for the past month.

Yes, very tiny ones in M+ groups

upgrading from 50 to 500 was the best thing ive experienced since going from spinning disk to SSD.

small isp in canadia :wink:

1000 was available also but the value didnt seem as good. probably more suitable for a business or a streamer i guess.

Check to see you have 5g home internet available in your area.

Cox was quite good to me from 2005-2011, despite me living in an (signal PoG) Army barracks where everyone else was probably torrenting if not playing other online games as well

I’m sure some people do. They make pills for it.

That indicates a cable modem signal that’s on the edge. Since Cox doesn’t block it on most modems, what do you get when you go to http://192.168.100.1 (this is the most common address for cable modems)? You should see a page listing the cable modem signal strengths. They should ideally be between -7 and +7 for all channels, preferrably as close to 0 as possible. -7 to -10 and +7 to +10 are still in spec but can cause issues when weather changes since temperature and/or moisture changes can alter the signal by as much as 3 dB in either direction.

If you get a login page and are using an Arris modem or gateway, you may have to enter the following credentials: admin / Last 8 characters of the modem’s serial number.

If your signal strengths are borderline you’ll get lots of disconnects when the modem tries to use poorly signaled channels. If this is the case you need to have a tech come out and assess where the problem lies, whether it’s too many splitters or if your line is too “hot” and needs attenuation.

Just told my husband that I think we’re having an issue with AT&T Fiber. Our speeds are pretty low in comparison to normal. We’re chalking it up to everyone being off for the holiday.