Anyone able to play WoW on high/ultra @ 3440x1440? High end build struggles

FPS in Valdrakken is aboslutely trash. Same with some dungeons / raids at high and ultra without getting 30-40 FPS.

My specs are pretty good:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900XT
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090
RAM: 2x 16gb DDR4’s G.Skill

Wondering if I should just give up my ultra wide 3440x1440p monitor and get an 27" OLED or something. Not being able to get max consistently in cities/bg’s/raids is pretty annoying.

amd cpu maybe? I have a “worse” GPU and have zero problems anywhere with frames or lag on a 13th gen i7.

I have no problems.

CPU AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
GPU AMD 6800XT
RAM 32G 3600 DDR4
Game Storage (4)SATA SSDs in a Raid 0

I cannot do 10/10 settings maxed out at that res in Valdrakken and get 60fps. Can anyone? Turning view distance down to 5/10 (not even noticible difference) makes me get 60fps steady tho.

I guess not. I average 50 FPS in Valdrakken with everything maxed

What do you get in Valdrakken on 10/10?

Keep in mind that resolution is like a multiplier for every other graphical option. 4k is about 4 times the size of 1080p, so that means 4 times the amount of anti-aliasing, lighting, anti-screen-tearing, shadows, water effects, sun-shafts, etc. And 8k is 4 times the size of 4k, or 16 times the size of 1080p. So these days, if you are running 4k, you really do need a top of the line card and no bottle-necks.

3440x1440p isn’t 4k.

3 Likes

I have a 3090, which was top of the line a year ago lol. My GPU ititliazation doesn’t even tough 50%, neither does my CPU, which is confusing me.

The biggest drag on WoW performance is, weirdly, the hard drive and RAM in my experience. Some games need a lot of CPU power, some games need a really good graphics card, but the shambling Howl’s Moving Castle of WoW, built up from a 20 year old engine, mostly needs RAM and a good hard drive.

What kind of hard drive do you have? HDD or SSD? SATA or PCI-E?

It could also be an internet thing. WoW doesn’t depend on a lot of data transfer (since most of the info is on your hard drive) but a slow connection can give you lag in weird places. Some areas of the world can get really slow also when something is going on in the zone that takes more hamsters than usual, like world boss fights and the cooking event.

I have an SSD, not the issue :frowning: Also not internet

It might be worth it to try the Tech Support forum. If I only run one game client at a time (almost never the case) I can run Ultra everything with no problems and my specs are:

• Onboard 1TB SSD
  • AMD Ryzen 7 3800x 8-core
  • GeForce RTX 3080 10gb
  • 32 gigs of DDR4 RAM
  • Windows 11

Really? So if you go into Valdrakken w/ max 10/10 settings, during peak when players are playing, how many frames do you get?

Yes.
Intel Core i9-13900K
ROG STRIX Z790-E GAMING WIFI
G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB (2x16GB)
EVGA 3080ti
Nvme m.2 Samsung drive

Ditch your mac and get a real machine.

1 Like

Honestly, 10/10 is a silly goal to reach for anyway.
You can drop some of your settings and you won’t notice a difference in fidelity.

I’m not a computer guru by any stretch, but my understanding is MMOs tend to be much more sensitive to the CPU than the GPU.

For reference in case it helps I play using what is probably a mid tier at best computer. I5 9600K, 32 gigs of ram, RTX 2070 and samsung 850 evo ssd.

I play at 3440x1440 with most settings on high except particles, shadows and water. I also turn off anti-aliasing since it doesn’t seem to do much at high resolutions. I generally get 60ish fps in raids and dungeons.

I’m gonna have to check that tomorrow - it’s late enough that the population is lower now, and I don’t run with a FPS meter on (running two clients at a time, it would just make me the sadge). I just know that I don’t seem to have noticeable stuttering, slowing, jerkiness or lack of responsiveness.

That’s not the point.

Some people, such as myself, want to max out visuals, even with Ray Tracing.

Even if the result is “Negligible” it’s still worth pursuing.

Makes sense, if you pay for max, then you should get max.

Funnily enough, my M1 Macbook Pro runs this game just fine. No at 1440p ultrawide of course, but regular 1440p runs great.

2 Likes