Any way to request a name get released?

armory is pretty useless for checking this sort of stuff.
characters under level 10 don’t show up.

there are also names which could once be used, and are no longer available to new characters.

check at random intervals.
…i managed to snag a few good ones a couple of months back.
they don’t announce name releases

1 Like

I probably don’t check often enough.

I have a toon I would like to move to Draka but I only checked when I thought about moving it. I would have saved it here so I would have it when I was ready to move it.

I’ll say again what I have many times before. I think 15 years out from WoW, it’s time to consider Surnames for Characters. I mean after 15 years, finding a good character name is downright daunting and I find myself re-using the same names again and again.

4 Likes

Yes, this needs to happen.

1 Like

I would hate that myself. It would look and feel so so stupid.
It should just work like bnet names where it has numbers after it but you never see them

1 Like

One thing I’ve wondered about is people who’ve stopped playing but have perhaps forgotten to cancel their sub (I’ve done that with another game).

The problem with that is, for example, a player who gets deployed. They leave their sub active even though they can’t play to keep their names, so they don’t come home and find they’ve lost their names. That would suck.

So while this may be the case sometimes, I don’t advocate them doing a “Well, you haven’t logged in since X date, so even thoug you’re paying, we’re releasing your name” as that might screw over people who haven’t truly quit, but are away for other reasons.

Another way is to rename all your other toons. OCD is hard.

As someone who has had well over a dozen placeholder characters for names i like since MoP I have to say no to this.

Just because the character isn’t active or something doesn’t mean the person doesn’t want the name. It could just be they are waiting for the right Alt to use it on.

1 Like

Howdy!
:rabbit:

1 Like

thats rather selfish isn’t it?
Keeping a name for 6+ years on the off chance you’ll consider an alt using it one day maybe, when there could be a player out there would wants that name for their main.

5 Likes

Then they can use alternative characters or different spellings then.

There are PLENTY of names that I wanted instead of “Thereden” but i had to settle on this one because all the other names I wanted were taken. Others can do the same. It’s not fair to arbitrarily decide that someone doesn’t “want the name as much” as someone else and take it from them.

I connect with my name so much that I can’t play on a realm without it.
This has actually stopped me being on a realm with friends that I have made in the game.

The person who has the name? Non existent.
But i’m sure they value it much more than I could have ever done.

Then use a different name. A different spelling.

Literally nothing is stopping you from doing that other than your own stubbornness.

https://www.wikihow.com/Empathize
You might find this useful

7 Likes

I’m not going empathize with someone who refuses to play on a server just because they didn’t get the exact name with the exact spelling they wanted. That’s ridiculous. You can use alternative spellings. You can use different characters. Or you could even try to invent a name that you may like better.

Stamping your feet and demanding Blizzard take names from other people just because you want it like super bad is childish and is not worthy of empathy.

1 Like

I didn’t say take names.
I called it selfish to reserve every name under the sun you might like so that many years down the line an alt you might use twice can have it.
Now THAT is worse than childish because children get taught how to share.

And if you actually meant what you said about different spellings then you wouldn’t go through all that effort to make sure you get the spelling you wanted.

4 Likes

OCD is a disease, it has nothing to do with lack of maturity.

1 Like

You are just trying to twist my words now. I am saying you can use alternative spellings and characters in order to get the name you want IF YOU DON’T ALREADY HAVE IT. Why would I need to use alternative measures if I already have the name reserved for myself?

You can’t honestly expect everyone to just get rid of all the characters they aren’t currently using just so those names can be available to others. That’s ridiculous.

I DIDN’T SAY THAT!
I DID NOT TELL ANYONE TO DO ANYTHING!

I said it is selfish of you to take names you have no intention of using outside of a vague plan to one day maybe if you feel like it.
The act of reserving it in the first place was selfish.
I never said to do a single thing.

2 Likes

I sympathize with people who have actual medical diagnosed OCD who cannot get the names they want. I know that must be hard on them.

But that’s not what appears to be going on here. Its people not getting what they want and then suggesting that Blizzard should be able to step in and do something about it. Which is obviously ridiculous.