Any potential for free character transfers?

Hello!
I was wondering if there would be a chance for Blizzard to reenact the Free Character Transfer system due to this new expansion bringing back a substantial amount of players? I just recently decided to come back during Shadowlands and am having to wait in 4k+ player ques that take 3-5 hours any time I want to log in. Was just curious if maybe Blizzard would bring back the ability for those that wish to leave an over-populated server for one that’s not as crowded, so we don’t have to wait as long to get into the game. They’ve done this during past expansion releases, and it would be great if they would be able to bring it back so I can jump into the game and not have to wait potentially several hours.

1 Like

Not by posting here. Customer Support isn’t able to make that decision, but it’s possibly something they’re already considering. Feel free to add your voice to one of the many threads in General Discussion!

3 Likes

I most certainly do not want to say it could never happen. I do, however strongly suspect it will not happen.

Same thing happened with launch of BFA. The queues died down in short order.

2 Likes

Just to kind of add on to this.

When free transfers were offered in the past, everyone had the mindset that everyone else had to transfer, not them. Maybe a handful of players will take the offer, but the majority won’t.

So while free transfers may be an option, it’s probably not going to work in the way most are hoping it would. The only guaranteed solution here would be if Blizzard forced realm transfers on players. That’s a whole other can of worms though.

How would those players be chosen for transfer? Would it be the most recent characters created? In that case, what if they are alts to be invited to a guild? In any event, it would cause extreme backlash at Blizzard, even more than what’s going on now.

It’s not as cut and dry as people seem to think it is. It’s a balancing act between what would be effective, but not inconvenience a large amount of players.

At the end of the day, the expansion launched a little over 24 hours ago. The hype is still going strong, but it will stabilize in time.

3 Likes

It is entirely possible, Druseph, but Customer Support doesn’t have any involvement with that decision. It would be announced by our Community Management team at behest of the Devs.

They recently did put out a statement here:

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/service-update-300-pm-pst-november-25/737575

3 Likes