Any numbers yet?

Just curious if there are any numbers available as to how many people are playing classic vs retail. I know it’s early on but just looking at Twitch right now the top retail streamer right now is 36th of all the WoW streams at 800 viewers. The top 35 are all streaming Classic. I think that’s pretty telling.

2 Likes

I would love the ratio of these servers we’re going to be able to transfer to. It’s like going into an abyss not knowing what the outcome will be.

Do you really need to know these numbers?

What’s wrong with asking?

5 Likes

Yes. This is a war between opposing game design philosophies. It would be nice for everyone to see who’s winning.

But we’ll never get them. BFA cost many times more than Classic to develop. It would be embarrassing to Blizzard if Classic had more players than the modern version with all it’s supposed “improvements.”

12 Likes

That’s what makes life exciting.

or completely ruins your classic experience :frowning:

Blizzard doesn’t release player numbers.

I say right now that Classic has more people playing than retail, but I think that is going to even out in a couple months from now, once people quit who played solely to see what all the hype was about. All the Classic lovers will stay, some will fall in love with the game who didn’t play any WoW before this, and others will play retail. Really doesn’t matter at the end of the day, just play the one you enjoy the most, or both.

1 Like

ROFL, you really think Blizz will ever release sub numbers… ROFL

You sure about that?

Because they used to release player numbers, when player numbers kept going up.

I think what you mean to say is, Blizzard doesn’t release player numbers that show a decline.

If Classic bring a few million players back to WoW, you better believe they’re going to release those numbers. It benefits them to do so, it’s about the best marketing money can’t buy.

Yes, if they go up significantly, because that’s literally what they used to do. In fact, they did it just a few years ago.

Where in the world are some of you guys getting the idea that Blizzard doesn’t do this? Because, good lord, they did it a LOT.

3 Likes

many years ago, no chance today

Many years ago?

You mean just before legion? Because that was the last time. Not many years ago, a little over 3 years ago.

They release numbers whenever they show a marked increase in players, because it’s great marketing to do so.

1 Like

Man, I’m very curious too. I’ll remain being curious forever, however. :frowning:

Minus the fact Blizzard said they don’t release sub numbers anymore like others have said, but from a business standpoint it would be a risky move for their investors.

investors, do not give a &^*^. They only care about the total Revenue/Net income of Activision is.
the sub numbers became an embarrassment to Blizz, so they quit publishing.

1 Like

Speaking of numbers, I noticed CensusPlus Classic avail on Twitch. (Tracks and reports no. of chars on your server) But it needs manual upload to its website (wowclassicpopulation) and afaics, that has been down for several days. Or it falls over every day. Or maybe was so popular that it exhausted its bandwidth for the month already… :thinking: [Ed. On Oceanic PvE concurrent logins seen during peak time was about 3.8k, compare from memory to 1.2k post WotLK and to a heavy NA realm of 2.4k for same time]

I would say if you want a rough estimate, count the servers in both retail and classic and compare the level of “fullness” then you’d have a rough estimate. Of course you’d have to take these measurements often and at peak/off peak times.

Where do you get that nonsense?

Subscription numbers do very much matter to the investors. They have a direct correlation to revenue, and they show growth.

They stopped giving the numbers to the public because dwindling numbers is bad marketing. If the numbers show a marked increase, they will release those, because that’s really good marketing.

1 Like

Jesus, pull it back man.

Thanks for posting that. I was about to make the same counter argument.