Anti Necro Posting

The “front page” is infinite then.

it’s based on the replies since your last visit.
unless we both visited at exactly the same time, what we see is different according to your “front page” theory.

how far back?
i’ve got 15 or more threads with over 100 replies in the last couple of hours… but somehow you seem to be not seeing those?

1 Like

Why do you force me to hand-hold you? Can you not infer context? Front-page of the forum is a common phrase. You can use your brain to think “huh, probably the threads he sees when he comes to the page and scrolls a bit.”

Instead, you want to be technical for no other reason than to say “LOL GOTCHA!”

No it’s not… It’s based on the latest replies period. Based on time.

I scrolled to see 2 days. But it doesn’t matter.

15 threads out of how many? Because again, you’re talking about a majority. 15 threads out of 100 threads is not a majority. I’m certainly not claiming there are no threads that have a lot of replies. Just not “most,” as you claim. Most don’t have many replies at all. It doesn’t matter how far you scroll. “Most” threads die under 50 replies.

I just want to make sure we’re all on the same page here since “front page” is a vague term.

We don’t have a “front page” anymore since they implemented infinite scrolling.

Define “scrolls a bit” with some sort of objective definition.

1 Like

Yeah but sometimes you need that 1+1 because your database only have 1 and 1, and you can’t restructure your database fields.

What I meant is, if the generic “how to get 2” topic got locked and you have to create a new topic regarding your very specific question (1+1), then the whole forum would be filled with a bunch of “how to get 2” topics which isn’t really helpful because people would need to read all of those topic one by one to find the answer they’re looking for.

Yes, I’m aware there’s technically no front page. As I said, it’s a common term on the internet though. Use your brain, I have faith in you.

I can’t tell, but it sounds like we agree here. I don’t want a bunch of “how to get 2” topics either. Consolidation helps everyone.

1 Like

Yeah, and using my brain, I realize that the WoW forums don’t have a front page.

Also? How about you dump that condescending attitude. If you can’t communicate without insulting other players, then perhaps you should take a break.

when you navigate away from the forum, there is a section which is highlighted to show responses which have happened since your last visit.
the number of threads shown, is different for everyone, based on their last visit.

there’s even a blue line which runs across the screen, saying “Last Visit”.

chronology is a given… but my “last visit” is not the same as your “last visit”.

1 Like

Which is irrelevant since you still physically see the rest of the threads too.

…they’re there, but i don’t look at them, because they were there last time too.
they have no relevance other than to exist… which is why i don’t understand your thing of “front page”, when we have infinite scrolling.

regardless, GD is mostly just chit-chat, speculation, requests, and rage-posting.
if people want to ask legit questions without being trolled, they tend to ask in the much slower moving forums, which are targeted to their specific needs.

what valuable information would be lost if auto-locks were applied after a specified amount of time?

…what you personally do is of no consequence when we’re talking about what people can see when they join a page. Have you forgot what you’re even arguing at this point?

Nothing valuable would be lost on GD. This is a forum-wide issue though that happens to be posted on GD to be discussed.

I personally love seeing GD blow up with multiple threads on contentious subjects. Mega-threads are a quarantine measure and nothing more. It’s much easier to ignore them.

I do support closing out threads after 60-90 days though, makes it cleaner to read and keeps me from making a stupid oopsie when I reply to a necro.

Id say 90 days Im not against “necro” threads. Sometimes people ask legit questions and it prevents new topics from being opened with the exact same content.

However topics that apply to previous content patches or even expansions shpuldnt be revived as it contains old outdated content.

And 90 days seems like a good cut of point.

there’s no need for anyone to scroll back to the beginning of time when they enter each sub-forum.

nothing would be lost anywhere…
until the next iteration of the forum.

…but things change with every patch, with every hotfix, with every addon which borks out, with driver updates, with every connection issue, etc.
…to the point where even a thread from yesterday, can be outdated and misleading.

If people have the ability to link to threads which they have questions about, it’s no problem for them to create a thread referencing a discussion on the same topic
… and if people have updated information about the question/issue, the thread with the correct information will be more brief, and more current.

1 Like

So my thoughts are we should tune this definitely by forum: Feedback forums that are likely to see longer spikes should probably be a much longer window (or just get mass closed at the end of a patch, they can always get referenced in a new thread; note in this case per patch threads should be archived to a per patch subforum). GD… I have no idea here, it’s complete chaos and mods could literally spend days closing threads or combining them as almost all are in some way dupes. Other quieter forums I’d leave be unless there is a serious and painful necro issue. Just my two cents.

I re-read threads all the time. Again, what you personally do is not what everybody does.

Just because it can be outdated doesn’t mean it automatically is.

You’re just repeating things I’ve already countered at this point, so if you want to know why these are wrong re-read what I’ve typed above. If not, have a good day.

And with this being a game that is updated roughly every 6 months, odds are pretty good that older threads are outdated.

1 Like

Odds are also good people won’t search for and necro issues that are outdated as well.

You really don’t visit the forums very often, do you?

IF blizz didn’t have a documented track record of shooting themselves in the foot in the same boring and predictable ways over and over again, I might buy that.