Another massive hero talent tuning in latest Beta build

Some pretty nice changes overall. Full Mage patch notes below:

🧙‍♂️Mage Changes🧙‍♂️

MAGE

• Hero Talents
    • Spellslinger (Frost/Arcane)
      • Splintering Orbs updated for Arcane only – The first enemy damaged by your Arcane Orb conjures 4 Arcane Splinters.
      • Spellfrost Teachings updated for Arcane only – Spellfrost Teachings now automatically launches an Arcane Orb when it procs, rather than resetting the cooldown of Arcane Orb.
        • Developer’s note: The difference in effectiveness between Arcane Orb and Frozen Orb in single target versus AOE is stark. These changes should help Arcane Mages to feel as though they’re still getting full benefit out of their Hero Talents in single target relative to Frost Mages, who can much more easily get full benefit.
    • Sunfury (Arcane/Fire)
      • Lessons in Debilitation no longer casts a crowd-controlled spell when you summon your Phoenix.
        • Developer’s note: Mages having access to a free, off global cooldown crowd-controlled spell every time they use their cooldowns was proving to be too problematic in all forms of content.
      • Gravity Lapse now benefits from Time Manipulation in the Mage Class Tree.
        • Fixed an issue that was causing Spellfire Spheres to be removed from players upon starting an encounter.
      • Meteorites will now properly benefit from damage amplification effects and proc on-damage effects.
      • Codex of the Sunstriders has been redesigned – Over its duration, your Arcane Phoenix will consume each of your Spellfire Spheres to cast an exceptional spell. Upon consuming a Spellfire Sphere, your Arcane Phoenix will grant you Lingering Embers, increasing your spell damage by 2%. Stacks up to 5 times.
      • Spellfire Spheres now properly increase periodic spell damage.
      • Arcane
        • Glorious Incandescence has been redesigned – Consuming Burden of Power causes your next cast of Arcane Barrage to grant 4 Arcane Charges and call down a storm of 4 Meteorites on its target.
        • Mana Cascade has been redesigned – Casting Arcane Blast or Arcane Barrage grants you 1% Haste. Stacks up to 10 times. Multiple instances may overlap.
        • Spellfire Spheres are now generated by casting 6 Arcane Blasts or Arcane Barrages (was consuming Clearcasting).

I am kind of perplexed about some of the Arcane changes though. It almost seems like they want us to just endlessly spam ABarr?

1 Like

thats what i was thinking

The way I read it, for Sunfury you could just spam ABarr 6 times to generate a Spellfire Orb, gaining the Burden of Power buff, and consume it with a 7th cast that would then not only cause that instance of ABarr to deal more damage but also drop the 4 Glorious Incandescence meteorites AND generate 4 Arcane Charges.

I mean that could be your entire rotation right there, just a one button spec with an instant cast no cooldown ability, lol! Well not really because ABarr without any charges (or even with) doesn’t do enough damage but theoretically you could do it and in fact in might even be optimal to do so in certain niche scenarios or when questing out in the open world.

I am not even necessarily opposed to it (I actually kinda like it even) but it just seems to come out of left field.

I think it’s good to give us more reasons to cast Barrage outside of AoE or when applying Touch.