Another issue with Sharding

So. What are we discussing here exactly? Problems with a BG? Boralus? By the way, Boralus is sharded so I’m not sure what’s your point here either.

2 Likes

This right here is what I’m attempting to educate you on because it’s not true.

Again. Open the task manager. When I play WoW, CPU is way below 50% (not across the cores but specifically the ones used by WoW itself) while GPU is close to 70-80% specifically in Boralus. I got enourmous perfomance boost when I switched from GTX 780 to 970. Oh and I play at max settings.

1 Like

Alright, so. You don’t understand how CPU processing works, now answer my question.

Why does someone with a GTX 1080 and an i5-8400 get 30 FPS in Boralus. What is preventing them from having 60 FPS? The GPU or the CPU?

You’re the one who don’t understand it. If the CPU core specifically taken by WoW is not even 100% taxed, not even 50%, while GPU is way above 50% it makes the game GPU intensive.

No idea. I have no clue what kind of software they run in their system and with what settings. Considering that people like you clearly think that FPS is affected by network performance, I can’t even begin to imagine what you people do with your PCs.

You remind me of people who used to run “latency boosters” during vanilla time as they thought that software can improve latency to WoW servers.

It has NOTHING TO DO WITH NETWORK. CPU DRAW CALLS ARE NOT “NETWORK CALLS”, as you called them. Stop trying to put words in my mouth.

You don’t know what you’re talking about and you’re trying to spread misinformation. WoW is still, even with DX-12 (secure MMO’s can’t rely on asynchronous compute) limited by single thread IPC.

Bringing up a GPU API while talking about

Do you even understand what you’re talking about? What does DX12 have to do with IPC or WoW security? GPUs by the way, don’t work in a synchronous manner, at all, unless we talk about concurrent CUDA execution, but its neither here nor there and bears no relevance on the topic at hand. But regardless, processing kernels return control to the CPU the moment they’re created. You don’t wait until GPU is done with calculating or outputing whatever you want it to do.

The fact that WoW engine was designed with a single core CPU in mind is because it was designed when there were no other CPUs on the market. Single-core processing doensn’t mean single threaded though, so again you have no idea what you’re talking. Not to mention that if you open the bloody task manager, as I’ve suggested to do many time already, you’ll see that WoW is in fact running in a multi CPU and multi processes mode.

If you have any other modern MMO such as TESO, GW2, FFXIV, they all leverage multi core processing fully, because these were designed in the multi-core era, unlike WoW. It has nothing to do with security. Where did you read this nonsense about synchronous=secure anyway?

1 Like

The CPU cycles billions of times a second, WoW will make use of multiple cores. The draw calls must be received by a single thread and cannot be farmed out to multiple cores.

Go look up processor affinity, how multi-core scheduling works at the OS level, and read up on how the task manager displays the information. Now, let’s go back to this statement and I want you to actually answer my freaking question:

If a person has a GTX 1060 and an i5-8400, they’re playing at 1080p and they want to increase their FPS in WoW; should they upgrade their GPU or CPU? They’re sitting at 35 FPS in Boralus, what should they upgrade to increase FPS? Answer it.

Can you guys chill and take your discussion somewhere else?

Make a thread about it if you want, call it “CPU VS GPU – THE FINAL BATTLE” for all I care.

This is about sharding.

Ty

2 Likes

I already told you. I have no idea. I sit on i5-2550 and GTX 970, 1080p and rarely drop below 55-60 fps in Boralus on all max except shadows that are on High. And 60 is my v-sync cap. Neither GPU nor CPU is maxed out when I play, ever.

1 Like

My bad, I let a troll bait me into an off-topic argument with his excessive lying.

Well ok then, WoW is the super demanding game. Requires the hi-end rig to play, probably an NV Link of at least 2 RTX 2070 and the i9 to support more than 5 people on the screen.

Seriously though. Are you sure you’re playing WoW at all? It’s one of the less demanding semi-current MMORPGs on the market, it runs on a toaster.

Really, if you can’t get more than 30 FPS in WoW with 1060 then there is something terribly wrong with your system.

Necro 10 characters