Another Group Loot Fail - Shamans can't roll on offhands?

We can USE offhands. We can USE shields too. But I guess because we can use shields, we cannot “need” on an offhand.

What kind of dumb rule is this?

We can use a staff which doesn’t give us the armor we’d get from a shield

So why can’t I need roll on an offhand?

Imagine my Pikachu face when an offhand dropped, and I couldn’t hit “need”. I have a higher ilvl main hand in my bag, but no offhand or shield so I can’t use it. I would have liked to need on the offhand, but game decided I can’t roll on an item I can use. Group Loot just looks like a more and more dumb system as time goes on.

I’m crafting a staff today anyway.

It’s just not worth it to worry about 1H/OH when a 2H has zero disadvantages and only takes 1 slot.

Not to mention if I wanted to craft a 1H/OH It’d take twice the dungeon spam to get the currency for it, since the key currency involved isn’t reduced for 1H vs 2H.

Anyway, yes, you’re right, it’s dumb. Nothing about Shamans is tuned around the little bit of armor bonus you can get from a shield.

Hey man. GL and PL are the same. There is no difference. But GL is better… But they are the same. PL sucks worse but is the same as GL.

Jokes aside. The fact that Blizzard implemented GL. Then had all these issues. And now have to spend time to fix some of these issues, is a massive failure. They could have spent that time Buffing BrewMonks. Or tuning content.

It looks like they are fixing this in 10.0.5

• Players can no longer unconditionally roll Need on 1H weapons (or 2H for a Warrior in Fury loot spec).

For that last one, in 10.0.5, the system will now thoroughly identify if you can dual-wield the weapon in question, based on your loot spec.

Source: Group Loot in Raids - #39 by Kaivax

That seems to address classes like Warriors - not Shamans.

Except I am pretty sure I used to get offhands with PL. Yet now I can’t need them because reasons???

It has the disadvantage of less control over secondaries compared to 1h/oh, but shields are generally better for ele/resto anyway because of how squishy shaman is

“generally better” but since we CAN use an offhand, it still doesn’t make sense why I cannot NEED on one.

It would be a big stat upgrade if I had an offhand so I could use the main hand in my bag. So far in raid I haven’t seen shields drop, just offhands.

1 Like

I agree, it was just worth saying.

Doesn’t really matter since the tank is… the tank.
And World Content isn’t dangerous so that’s irrelevant.

Maybe in PvP, but that has a different gearing system altogether.

1 Like

warriors can use staves… let them need.

Big difference. There isn’t a strength staff.

These offhands are intellect, and I am elemental. I use those stats. So not only can I equip them, but the stats benefit me.

Don’t compare apples to oranges.

actually, this is apples to apples. you’re just mad your small, green, sour apple isn’t as good as my massive, juicy red apple…

1 Like

The shield gives more than just block.

Yeah you can but you don’t use off hand as main specs. You use a SHIELD off-hand. Not the same tihng.

Excuse me? Please tell me the difference between shield or offhand besides some armor? Because it’s a VERY minor thing that doesn’t matter that much. the intellect and increased secondary stats are what matters.

If Shammies weren’t meant to use offhands, then why can we?

And also why did we used to loot them with PL??

Red apples are nasty

You don’t know the history of shamans then. In vanilla wow, shamans were made to be off-tanks but failed miserably. Afterwards, they changed their skills to remove aggro, but that’s the reason they prioritize a weapon/shield to this day - because of their old days in failed tanking. A normal “offhand” belongs to casters, true casters, not the half-remade shaman tanks turned casters.

Shields are made more for defensive-means. Off-hands are made for offensive means with little defense value.