Animal compantion should not be mandatory

Animal companion is a great talent while in a group, but this isn’t the case when you’re solo.

When you’re solo, your main pet is the one tanking everything you pull. Because of the passives each pet spec gives, ferocity pets are the best tank pets, as they can heal based on the damage they deal. But because animal companion makes your main pet weaker, it also makes them heal less, making them more fragile and making me spend more time using mend pet or even reviving it. This is even worse when I run delves solo.

On DF i could avoid this by not picking the animal companion talent, but now I can’t do that because it’s the only way to pick multi-shot and all the AoE damange talents related to this, which is annoying.

Solution: add a link to multi-shot from either aspect of the beast or war orders. It will help solo hunters by not having to heal their pets so often and it won’t affect group content as you either don’t take multi-shot for single target situation or you always take animal companion anyway.

7 Likes

+1 for a fix/rework on this please!

1 Like

Animal Companion should be on a choice node with a talent that buffs your primary pet by X%, calculated to be the same as the extra % you get from 2 pets.

4 Likes

Continuing the discussion from 20th Anniversary Update PTR Development Notes:

I find it odd your pet is dying in solo delves though, have you tried wilderness medicine + den recovery?

2 Likes

thanks for that ptr info.

I run both talents and my pet still dies.

I do t8 pretty comfortable on my SV hunter, are you using a clefthoof? properly kicking the really hard hitting spells?

i use a core hound and yes i am kicking.

Beast tree should have animal companion as standard.

Can you just go to a stable and remove the companion pet from the slot?

You can, but it still nerfs your pet

best tank pet is a clefthoof, if you really want the most survivability of your pet. higher armor and healing taken percentage plus they have a triggered defense when they drop to like 35% hp.

Agreed. I really dislike having more than one pet out (I never used stampede back in the day).

I have always worked to have stellar control over my pet, adding a second one just creates confusion, not to mention I don’t like that it can be CC’d.