An unreliable narrator should have a purpose

Hello, everyone! First of all, sorry for the delay. I got invited to the Council on the very first day, and it’s my first thread and second comment here. A mix of being ill, depressed and just having a lack of good faith in anything. But I’m getting a little better, the news regarding Microsoft and cross-faction play also feel promising. So expect me to write more threads (both lore-related and not) and comments.

What’s an unreliable narrator?

An unreliable narrator is a very interesting storytelling tool that’s been reintroduced to the Warcraft franchise in Battle for Azeroth and Shadowlands. With this tool, the story is told from a character’s point of view or via folklore and legends. By nature, information from such sources can be inaccurate. Warcraft had its moments of PoV-based lore before, but usually, it was done to make a so-called “soft retcon” of a previously canon fact. For example, in vanilla WoW the Twisting Nether wasn’t just a demon realm, it was also the afterlife for mortal souls. It was softly retconned around TBC and WotLK, and now the Classic era mentions of the Twisting Nether as the afterlife simply serve as someone’s incorrect PoV.

Yet, there are entire fantasy settings completely rooted in the unreliable narrator system. In The Elder Scrolls, the majority of mythological lore is told with various contradicting legends, and a lot of the events are intentionally left obscured from the player’s eyes. In Dragon Age series, the unreliable narrator serves as the main engine of the story: each new game reveals another part of ancient history and debunks false legends of the past, all of which are essential for the main plot. In Dark Souls, the story is the puzzle that you solve by taking notes from the “visual lore” (like prop art) and the unreliable narrator system: but half of this puzzle exists only in the creator’s mind, so you can’t quite build the true Dark Souls lore. But that’s the idea: you are expected to create your own interpretation.

The Word of God

Warcraft has never been anything like that. Traditionally, Warcraft lore was always told via a different instrument called “the Word of God”. The Word of God and the unreliable narrator aren’t mutually exclusive per se, but they are very different. When something is told from the Word of God’s perspective, it’s always the absolute truth. It’s as if the author themselves have given you the notes of what’s real and not. This was the way for the Warcraft lore for the longest time. To be honest, Warcraft’s fixation on such style was always pretty unique, because the Word of God technically isn’t even a narrative tool, it’s more of a term to describe something like a TV-series producer’s statement on a spin-off comic-book canonicity.

World of Warcraft: Chronicle

The best example of the old Warcraft’s adherence to the Word of God style is the Chronicle trilogy (2016-2018), which was introduced as the lore bible, the “definitive history of Warcraft” (as per Cate Gary in vol.2 trailer). But during Blizzcon 2019 it was stated by Steve Danuser, the narrative lead on WoW, that the series is actually written from the titans’ servants’ point of view, just as any other lore source is written from someone’s PoV. Don’t quote me on that, but if I remember correctly, in one of the interviews on twitch he even said if you are to read the Chronicle, you would actually notice how it’s written from the Titanic PoV.

Treating such big reveals as something that’s supposedly was like that all along opens its own can of worms. It reminds me of the latest interview of Ion Hazzikostas for IGN, where he said that Warcraft isn’t about the Alliance vs. the Horde, it’s about adventure, exploration, and fighting for your home: and it’s been like that since Warcraft III. Which is, of course, true. But it clashes with his and other developers’ quotes during Battle for Azeroth. As always, I won’t assume ill intent, and it’s been a few years since BfA now, and some of those previous developers aren’t even in Blizzard anymore. But a better wording would’ve changed everything: something as simple as “we changed our mind since then” instead of “actually, it’s been like that since 2002”.

But back to the topic. There are two major issues with the Chronicle getting retcon-but-not-really treatment (remember, it’s still said to be canon despite being PoV-based). The first is that it breaks the trust of players in the lore. They had spent money on these books, some foreign speakers I know even bought the whole collection twice: in their native language and in English. Why? Because this series was very much about details and Chekov’s guns sprinkled all over the text. So even small errors in translation were treated as a tragedy. This was the Chronicle’s biggest worth: the depth of how it was written. Which is now lost.

The backlash

Why is it bad? Because there’s nothing that shows a story’s worth better than the audience’s suspension of disbelief. Lots of people all over the various story forums and social media have visibly less investment in the story, the threads appear less often, and on top of that, these people no longer assume a story reason for a weird plot twist or assumed inconsistency. They will immediately brush it away as a flop by the devs.

So, when such players see PoV-based lore in Warcraft, their reaction is rather sour. They feel like WoW tries to use the Dark Souls approach on the unreliable narrator: not to create a brooding atmosphere, but to brew an illusion of a deep story.

Obviously, Warcraft isn’t just about the lore. In a way, the lore is actually one of the less important aspects of the franchise: let’s not forget the classic “gameplay first” Blizzard motto. But there’s still a substantial amount of people who play the game mostly because of the lore: and when they see just how little it matters, they lack the investment to follow the game. To a noticeably lesser extent, it’s also true for the role-playing community.

There’s an air of lost potential with Warcraft books. Warhammer sells novels like cookies, and most of their lore books are of better quality than even the Chronicle both in terms of writing and artwork (things like Age of Sigmar core books). Not utilizing printed media like that is lost profit for Blizzard: maybe an insignificant amount in the long run, but still.

So, what stops Blizzard (well, stopped them before the scandals) from hiring a company like Cubicle 7 to write a tabletop D&D-like game about Azeroth? I assume the reason is simple: it would constrain the devs creative freedom. Hence why places like Kul Tiras had no lore up until BfA: over the years, they could’ve created something that would ultimately clash with the idea of the zones in the actual Kul Tiras expansion. Then again, the new “everything is PoV” stance can actually work wonders with that! Because an inconsistency would be revealed as some character’s mistake.

What really stops Warcraft from becoming an actual setting instead of… a TV show? A weird comparison, but, well, bear it with me.

In terms of story progression, Warcraft’s closest look-alikes are long-running TV series like the Supernatural or Xena and Hercules series from the 90-s. We start with killing boars and end up saving the machine of Death in the afterlife, all with a very small cast of characters. The material gets burned up so fast, most of the villains die in the expansion they are introduced: Warcraft could’ve as well been a series about Thrall, Jaina, Anduin, and Co without any deep lore.

But wait, there’s also a different perspective!

That said, I must also provide a different perspective. Sooner or later, the Chronicle would’ve gotten outdated. Actually, its “titan souls” lore got outdated in patch 7.3 a mere year after the release of Vol. 1. If Chris Metzen was still at Blizzard, I assume that he would’ve tried to keep at least some semblance of continuity with the Chronicle, which was his dream project since MoP. But he’s at Warchief studios now. Steve Danuser is our new lore lead dev now, and, I assume, his decision to shift the lore into PoV-mode came from a desire to help his fellow devs. Remember, the lore team works on books, they usually don’t work on games directly. The game team writes the in-game story, and they don’t want to feel shackled by some book. Not that it really shackles them that much in my opinion, but once again we have examples of things happening just like that: Antorus and titan souls.

It’s somewhat positive for the players as well: because now everyone can homebrew their roleplay with greater freedom. I can also give Steve Danuser a credit for not outright removing the Chronicle from canon.

So, yes, in the long run, the Chronicle became a… mistake. Well, at least, written with the Word of God narrative. But the way it was handled can’t be praised either. Who exactly wrote the Chronicle lorewise? What makes their stance titan-based when the cosmology there was nowhere near Order/Arcane-centric, and the titans themselves were murdered by Sargeras all alone?

It’s also fair to mention that the lore-centered issue of this thread doesn’t really influence the way how the plot and narrative progress in-game. So, in a way, it shows that the problem is rather minor for the game at large. But I hope you will forgive me for talking about it at such lengths, even if the text really lacks focus. @_@

All recent non-novels books are also written as someone’s PoV. Let’s list them real quick.

• Exploring Azeroth: Eastern Kingdoms by Christie Golden (October 2020):

There’s not much to say about this one. The book serves mostly as a recap of known info and confirms various Alliance victories from the BfA mission table. Much of the space is dedicated to the fates of in-game items, but these bits feel more like filler than anything else. Same for tier sets descriptions, instead of lore regarding their origins you mostly read references to their old set procs (which is cool) and Shaw’s opinions about how spooky the warlocks are. I feel like the fixation on the in-game items stems from Christie Golden’s old habit of describing the world of Azeroth as it’s seen in-game as opposed to a more realistic scale (the Traveler series is a good example of the latter).

In terms of production, it’s pretty bizarre. The book uses the same format as Starcraft and Diablo bestiaries (even with the same comments written as scribbles), but instead of a bestiary, it’s just a travelog. The artwork is mostly decent black-and-white sketches. There’s not much value for a longtime Warcraft reader, but it’s also a pretty confusing intro to the franchise for a newcomer.

The series also serves as a canon answer to the old Warcraft RPG books starring Brann Bronzebeard: Lands of Mystery and Lands of Conflict. The older books have their own share of issues, but there was a better sense of scale and a feeling of Brann actually adventuring and exploring.

The second book of the series, Kalimdor, is admittedly worse on many levels, but it doesn’t necessarily put this one on a pedestal.

• Folk & Fairy Tales of Azeroth (May 2021):

A surprisingly solid read. What’s even more impressive is that in terms of production value this book is a collector’s artbook tier. Especially worth the praise when you are to remember the Grimoire. In terms of lore and story, it’s just as the description says: a collection of fairy tales. Most of the stories were written by authors who previously had never worked with Blizzard or even played Warcraft games (also without much restraint put on the authors by Blizzard), but all of them are still pretty genuine and fun.

• Grimoire of the Shadowlands and Beyond by Sean Copeland and Steve Danuser (July 2021):

This one is wild. Many expected the Grimoire to be the new Warcraft’s version of the Chronicle, but it turned out to be a lesser Exploring Azeroth. The artwork is cheap (with lots and lots of reused illustrations), there’s not much text overall given the number of pages, and it’s all just a sassy Broker’s diary with our player character adventures for reference. So, except for the Destiny-esque cosmology part, in the end, it’s a patch 9.0 recap.

The Broker-narrator was a rather questionable choice. Not just because by the nature of his sources (the players) the character usually can’t introduce the reader to a new perspective, but when the new perspective is shown… It’s the Broker making fun of the Azerothian races’ beliefs and the Chronicle cosmology. On one hand, that was almost the highlight of the Grimoire: you can clearly feel that the author had fun writing that. On the other, it shows a lack of restraint. Warcraft’s audience spent years upon years in the Word of God mode, and when this was thrown at them, they read such bits as open disrespect for the older lore and Azerothian races. The Grimoire is written by an arrogant Broker, who views non-Death entities as self-absorbed and biased, but in truth, embodies such ill qualities to a far greater extent. Great concept on paper. But the writers should’ve expected the backlash from such a choice of words.

• Exploring Azeroth: Kalimdor by Sean Copeland (December 2021):

I assume that most of the fellows here are familiar with the criticism of this book, so I’ll cut to the chase. Outside of all the things discussed by the fandom, there are two big differences between the first and the second book in the series. This one does a better job at making Azeroth feel like a big world, and there’s no “list all the loot table” subplot. But it falls short because the narrative bends to an unbelievable degree in order to… return various subzones to their Cataclysm status-quo. When the EK book had the Southshore cleansed by the paladins, the Kalimdor one got the Alliance rebuilding Proudmoore’s keep in Durotar. So much for peace! Zekhan’s comments on such reverse developments are also somewhat bloodthirsty, which clashes with the peace treaty narrative.

I will leave a further talk about the better-known debate regarding this book for another time, instead, I’ll use one page of the book to illustrate many of the issues with it: the Shatterspear tribe.

Long story short: in vanilla WoW, the Shatterspear was a peaceful troll tribe. In Cataclysm they joined the Horde to destroy the night elves, but they lost and their tribe was no more: survivors fled with the Horde. In BfA, the tribe got itself back together… to murder the night elves yet again.

The book portrays the tribe as its peace-loving iteration from Classic and uses some impressive mental gymnastics to achieve this goal. The deceased chieftain from Cata is mentioned: but neither the cause of his death nor his title… the Soulripper. It’s mentioned how the tribe does everything to honor agreements with both the Horde and the kaldorei: then how did they end up trying to genocide the elves two times in a row?

There’s nothing wrong with trying to reintroduce the original portrayal of the Shatterspear from 2004, and it’s indeed sad that they were turned into such monsters without any explanation. But changing them back without any explanation is not a solution either. Now their lore is even more confusing. The original tribe lore now exists only in web archives, while the new one is actually in-game. I guess the better solution would be to tie in both takes together: what if the tribe had different subgroups, some inner conflict, something that provoked them?

Instead, now, on paper, we have a peaceful tribe that loves their home, while in-game, we have a bunch of crazy lunatics… whose shamans tried to burn Darkshore.

And here’s where the unreliable narrator might kick in. In a frustrating way. What if Zekhan was fooled? Then we were forced to read a page of lies fed to him. But you can’t fix all the pages with this magic trick. It would also completely destroy the book’s value.

What puzzles me the most is that the book was written by Blizzard’s lead historian, their lore librarian. I remember Sean’s lore tweets from the MoP and WoD era, and he always gave an impression of a person very invested and knowledgeable in his job. So, when you open up his book that has the Well of Eternity called the Dark Portal instead, and there’s either a lore issue or a strange narrative every single chapter, you just can’t help but wonder what was going on there. Honestly, I don’t know…

Also, for what it’s worth, the art in this one is very pretty and it’s a nice step forward from the first book and, well, the Grimoire.

FIN

So, what’s the verdict? I do love some good PoV-style lore, and maybe this tool does have its place in Warcraft as well. But to make it work the writers need to show more creativity and finesse (Warhammer’s Liber Chaotica/Necris are a good example here: partially because the authors’ identities are important for the narrative). The audience can’t change their habits that fast too if it’s even possible at all: so maybe the core narrative should still be written in stone. Last but not least: being open with the player base. Too many bridges have been burnt, so if anything it’s time to get the trust back.

149 Likes

Great post, one less thing I have to write about when I get around to writing about lore myself :>

I don’t really have the time and energy to write a more detailled comment at the moment, but I’ll compose a proper response at some point.

I would just like to point out that there might be some inconsistencies in your analysis on the Shatterspear tribe, though I would have to do some research to confirm or dispel my suspicions - but either way, it’s not really relevant to your point as a whole and is just me being a little nitpicky, sorry :>

6 Likes

I think many people would like the whole lore thing more especially if it wasnt so obvious that its directly pretending like we and also everyone playing are the only way X goal could be accomplished. I think in Wotlk it felt like I was just another dude fighting for horde to get the lich king but to even be in his presence alone was a basic death sentence. I think everytime I got called champion or hero in the current and past expansions after MoP you could power a roomba with how fast my eyes would roll

13 Likes

I’ve had some time to digest this and to compose my own take on the topic. I do a lot of worldbuilding and build lore outside of warcraft, and I know how difficult it is to write lore, so I thought I’d throw my worldbuilder cap into the ring.

I think it is worth asking, why did Warcraft choose to go the Word of God approach in the first place. The simple answer is probably that it fit the philosophy of “gameplay first” quite well; the real answer is likely a whole lot more complicated. Lore has, in Warcraft anyway, always been secondary to the story - and the story is an important part of the games. In other words, the story isn’t built on the lore, the lore is built by the story - and that’s kind of backwards and leads to a lot of retcons down the line. Given that Warcraft grew from being a simple narrative about orcs vs humans, into what it has become today, it was likely always easier to give players the context in the form of the word of God: this is how things are, and that’s all you really need to understand.

Some of the lore we used to get was often very conceptual, flimsy, vague, simplistic, and I don’t think we can just say that they were being lazy when they wrote it like that. When many of these topics were later going to be explored further, such as the Twisting Nether, the same writers that wrote the original text likely had better ideas for them, and so altered, rewrote or elaborated on many of these. It is particularly true when the lore isn’t being written by one person, but by a collective of people that are not only influenced by game design, but also by producers. The word of God becomes somewhat malleable, as it should be. The problems mostly arise when the word of God is too malleable.

I do agree with this, but it has always been using these techniques, it’s not particularly new to the more recent years. Much of the lore we now have was once a simple mention in a quest-text, an item description, a line of dialogue - even something as simple as an in-game object. Which shouldn’t be the primary way to tell a story or explore the lore, but is a good tool to have when you do.

Ouch :> But yes, I wanted to throw in the RP point of view.

Roleplayers use the lore very differently to most other people. Those who just play the game typically view the lore as the background of the story they’re experiencing, those who enjoy the lore for its own sake find joy in seeking it out and putting it together, see a cohesive story form. Roleplayers sort of fit into both of these camps, but also use the lore as the base of a new creation. It’s a form of fan fiction (but also not what you would usually call fan fiction) and does, to an extent, at least require you to do some reading. To roleplayers, the unreliable narrator is usually preferable to the word of God - because it gives us more creative freedom to cook up our own interpretations of it, and thus allow us to write more stories. That isn’t to say the word of God style is bad for roleplay. Actually, it is often very helpful to have definitive sources that we can go off to base our own stories on, so that we are all in agreement. Much of the frustration in the RP communities about lore come when they have their foundations shaken, and need to rewrite their stories as a result.

I don’t think it’s 100% a mistake, but I think calling it a definitive lore bible has been a mistake - and kind of always was. Chronicle was just too short to be able to fit all the lore into it, it was a greatly simplified introduction into the wider lore of Warcraft, and that is what it should have been marketed as. It is still relevant to a lot of the lore, because most of it has not yet been contradicted.

I don’t generally buy the books (need money for that!), and I’m kind of glad there aren’t too many of them for the sake of FOMO, but I do agree that they could do better, and they could be more plentiful. I kind of prefer the lore to be accessible in the games first, and in books second. My primary reason for not being too invested in the books is that, I know that the information in there will likely be outdated at some point. Even if all the new story is written without changing any of the existing lore, there will likely be new perspectives, new characters, new storylines built on parts of the old lore that is not detailled enough by itself, which means it needs to be expanded upon - with more books, which you now have to read all of to get the full picture, because if you only read one of them, you have likely missed out on some important details that have to be written into newer books.

… I think what I’m really saying is, I want an official online library with all the information stored in it, rather than having it published in books.

So, this is the real problem with the lore in Warcraft, in my personal opinion. When Blizzard has been openly talking about the lore, it is often spoken with a confident statement of fact. This is likely to do with marketing; people are not going to put so much trust into you if you admit that you have blatantly just changed some of the existing lore to fit your narrative. And while that might sound better to a PR team, it does not sound very cool to the players who are invested in the thing that they’re messing around with. I think this is why many have lost our faith in the writing team, they are not just mad about the changes themselves, but by the fact that it is treated the way that it is.

Finally, I would just like to add: I don’t generally like retcons, and I think a lot of them in Warcraft have been really bad for the game. However, I don’t think retcons by themselves are inherently bad, as long as they have a good explanation, serve a purpose (beyond fitting the story that’s being written) and retain the original magic of whatever it has retconned.

4 Likes

In the overarching story of an unreliable narrator - I think it’s important to clarify to the user what actually happened as well.

For instance, Battle of Dazar’alor. The Alliance players witness the death of Rastakhan firsthand. But the Horde players witness it through an unreliable narrator, a Horde soldier who escaped.

If you don’t play Alliance, you’d assume what you saw as the Horde was true - that Genn told Rastakhan he was going to kill him to stop him from joining the Horde. But that’s not the case, Alliance witness, firsthand wise, that Genn offered Rastakhan the chance to surrender.

But Horde players never have it clarified what happened.

This is also applicable to split narratives, not just unreliable narratives - for instance, we still don’t know what ACTUALLY happened in the Purge of Dalaran. And it’s been years.

Alliance players see Jaina order the imprisonment of the Sunreavers, and tell Vereesa/Silver Covenant to allow Horde civilians to evacuate and only attack if they are attacked, and Alliance players have to go do just that.

Horde players see Jaina waltzing through Dalaran killing everyone left and right.

We had a dev mention on twitter shortly after it was added that the Alliance side was the canon side and it was a bug that Horde were seeing her murder everyone, but then we had moments later in like BFA, where Lor’themar mentions Jaina murdering the blood elves, but they’ve also had other mentions referencing the Alliance side.

If you’re going to do a split narrative, you need to clarify at some point which narrative is the true narrative. Letting us wonder is fine for a bit, but after a few years, it becomes silly.

Another example of this is the Faction Incursions in BFA. We literally don’t know what happened in Vol’dun. The Alliance are explicitly told not to harm the Vulpera. But the Horde see the Alliance ruthlessly murdering the Vulpera. This was made even more flabbergasting when the Vulpera don’t mention the Alliance at all when joining the Horde. They don’t mention the Horde defending them from the Alliance, or anything. So we still don’t know what exactly happened in Vol’dun.

Also, now that I write this out, why does it feel like Blizzard uses this storywriting mechanic to avoid making the Alliance do a bad or good thing, and instead leave it ambiguous?

14 Likes