An RPer's reflection on Darnassus - four years after logging out for the last time

Yeah, I think you might be. Admittedly I’m using the term a bit flippantly, but I’m looking for something that makes the Night Elves look threatening again.

I myself stopped playing Horde throughout BFA, in fact at the beginning of BFA I was so extremely anti-Horde that I argued for them to be wiped out.

Because i hated myself for be part of this event. Maybe because i like the night elves but my main was an Undead Deathknight. I can say that the WOT changed my stance towards Blizzard permanently and that continues to this day. A large part of my enthusiasm for the setting died with it and even today, when the topic comes up, I have mixed feelings.

i think, many hordeplayer have mixed feelings until today…about the wot, aswell as the alliance and night elves.

1 Like

Based on how it was portrayed, what do you think would have happened had the Night elf military been present during the WoT?

:pancakes:

1 Like

God I sure hope not lol! Every other fandom I’ve even teased being a part of, the Twitter branch of it was the most toxic, trolly, meme-oriented pile of refuse I have ever seen. Every. Single. Fandom. The only group that seems regularly worse is the Youtube Comments section! :smiley:

4 Likes

Reasonable would be looking for another game that respects my investment and doesnt bait me to buy an expansion on false pretenses.

this is also part of the problem, bfa was so polarizing that the fanbases are so entrenched in their opinions that compromise is no longer possible, however even if it were thats… also not an option since we dont have any kind of control of the story…

not trying to sound snappy.

i agree, grief was on both sides the day the tree burned.

Okay, then what do you mean when you say you want a “juicy” win? What’s that going to look like, and how does “juicy” feel?

1 Like

It’s hard to say because we don’t know the actual size of the Horde force. In A Good War, they were discussing how they would need to outnumber the Night Elves 12:1 if Tyrande was there - which leads me to think that they saw that as a possibility.

I mention this because I get the feeling that we assume that a global faction is even capable of piling its military all into one place, which leaves me to ask “okay, so who guards all of the towns and all of the other fronts?”.

From a strict lore perspective? Saurfang was sure that the Horde cause was doomed if the Night Elf army was allowed to land. It was one of the more depressingly-written parts of A Good War.

This is why i push for flipping the script, as exactly as it was on bfa.

im an avid proclaimer of putting yourself in the shoes of another.

edit: i say this with tongue in cheek since i know this is not happening because the game would die and i wont buy such expansion.

It seemed to drain the power from both sides. One felt incompetent and the other felt manipulated and used again. The horde characters unless they wanted to destroy the elves didn’t win, they were a pawn side piece.

1 Like

You want the forum safe explanation or the NSFW one? :wink:

Edit: I’m talking about

https://giphy.com/gifs/beeffordinner-technique-beef-juicy-gw3NpMPvrN64YrC0

by the way.

4 Likes

I would say that if I could put together a representative trailer of the content that I could set the chorus of Judas Priest’s The Sentinel to - that would get me in the ballpark.

… and if they ever got Priest to do the job, all would be forgiven that instant.

https://giphy.com/gifs/judas-priest-sBD76OnnZdGBq

1 Like

Funny enough, Priest also wrote a song that I feel somewhat captures how I feel now. It’s called Never the Heroes, and while it’s not one of their better songs, the chorus effectively captures the bitterness of the whole thing.

You know, from a company that plays with emotions as obviously as Blizzard, the WOT was a complete success, BFA too.

And do you think you could do that with the Horde side of the War of Thorns? I mean, obviously you can set any footage to any music, but do you think that it would fit–that the music captures the feeling of the quests for a Horde player?

(Also, do you like Judas Priest? I mean, you’re the one who said I was reading the idea of enjoyment into it…)

2 Likes

It may be my own preference, but I’d rather be tricked than incompetent.

It is your own preference.

1 Like

Sure - at least if you’re a Sylvanas loyalist. But I’m also not disputing that making the Horde the villains in a faction war was a bad move.

Again, I am separating the elements of victory from the elements of relatedness. I’m not arguing that most Horde players are or should be satisfied as a whole, just that it was a strong victory - and that such matters when we go to apply that to the faction rivalry.

As for Judas Priest, they are easily my favorite band. I’m very fortunate to have been able to see them live in 2019… and there were few things that could have been more electric to me than hearing an entire crowd of metal fans singing that chorus along with them.

The first song I learned to play on guitar in its entirety was the Priest version of The Green Manalishi (with a two pronged crown).

so, you prefer to be incompetent?