An interesting Encounter

I was visiting a cafe out in the country this morning, about 40 miles east of Temple, Texas. It was Green Sausage Market and Cafe. A lot of farmers and older folk visit the place, as it has a good breakfast plate for about $6.

I came there to pick up an order of 5 dozen Kolaches, when I got there, the order wasn’t ready, they was on the racks cooling. So I grabbed a stool at the bar, sat down and ordered a cup of coffee. I looked over to my left there was a older black gentleman, must have been in his 70s. After some small talk, I come to find out he’s an avid Modern Warfare player. He was telling me his kill stories. We was laughing, having a good time.

Then I felt a tap at my shoulder, it was an another older gentleman with his wife. He sported a white Santa Claus beard, wearing blue denim overalls, the wife was wearing a house dress with a jacket. They must have been in their mid 60s.

He asked me. “Diablo, Hearthstone, World of Warcraft, or Overwatch?”

I looked at him, puzzled. I responded “World of Warcraft”

I large grin came over him “Ah! You play!”

“Yup, what faction?”

"Alliance, you?

I smiled “Horde”. We laughed, then the wife made the comment “Ew a Hordie”

It turned out the shirt I was wearing was my Blizzard T-Shirt with a giant Horde symbol on the front.

We just started talking about the game and how he met his wife.

Every few minutes, she would click her lips, give me the side eye and say “Horde”.

We had a good time chatting, then the the lady behind the counter had my order of Kolaches ready. I bid the couple “Safe Travels” and looked at the wife and said “For the Horde”, as I walked out the door.

Made my morning.

20 Likes

10 Likes

With all the negativity on these forums, I thought my encounter this morning would pick someones mood up.

12 Likes

You know, normally it’s either “cool story bro” or “Dear Diary” but this story warmed my heart!

Thank you for sharing!

4 Likes

Great story!

This reminds me I should quit slacking and finally get some WoW shirts…I don’t know why I have never bought any. It’s time…maybe I can tell the wife to get me a couple for Christmas…hmmm

3 Likes

I too need to get a few more, probably not til next year. Just bought a new gaming rig and an a Anycubic Mono 4k 3d printer (my second one)

1 Like

You will be shocked pikachu face to find out that those not from our wierd state of Texas don’t know what a Kolache is. So I will explain and post pictures.

A kolache is like a pig in a blanket but on a grander scale. The most sought after kolache is the cheese and sausage kolache of which you must be there first thing in the morning or else they sell out before you know they’re out of the oven.

Kolaches can be filled with anything, it’s literally like a bear claw with jelly but you can have anything from jalapenos to something sweet and sugary put in. Meat based kolaches are the most common tho.

Kolaches are also called Klobásník by the Czech.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/1165317130078666823/1176951175124357140/anBn.png?ex=6570bc32&is=655e4732&hm=d09fd74ae0ae66f46ec5ad1050569ed5e4b05719a8782defd587ffb09e78d51f&

2 Likes

These are what I got.

Klobasneks are much more commonly known as kolaches in Texas, but should not be confused with traditional Czech kolaches, which are also popular and are known by the same name. Klobasneks are similar in style to sausage rolls, but the meat is wrapped in kolache dough.

4 Likes

The best place to get them are from the Czech Stop in West, Texas. But Greens in Zabcikville, Texas is pretty good. Right off Highway 53.

I’m in the south portion of Texas, think Houston area but not quite in the city limits. We have a very good kolache shop simply called “Donut Shop” in a triangle part of my town and they tend to give you more than you pay for. Free donut holes or anything you want with your order!

I think that is standard with any Mom and Pop donut shops.

I am just North of Austin, about 50 minutes away, West is a hour or so drive from me down Highway 35. And yes, I will venture on the treacherous 35 for good kolaches.

1 Like

Thanks for the story, OP, it was a good one :slight_smile:

That’s not sarcasm. I know it’s hard to tell around here, but I genuinely enjoyed it. For the Horde!

2 Likes

I demand you two go meet up and eat these foods together somewhere next year. FOR THE HORDE. And kolache.

2 Likes

Honestly, I have done that before. Me and another forum goer met for lunch a few years back. We are good friends now.

2 Likes

5 Likes

Guild meetups are even way more fun. I think it was the ONLY time I flew on a plane. It was interesting bringing Homemade Smoked Brisket and getting past Homeland Security at the Airport. Initially they was gonna impound it, until I produced a couple brisket sandwiches for the security guy and his boss. Then it was say no more and fast tracked through security.

I wish i had more money… I am from Europe. My guildies (besties) are Canadians. XD

I have been there once, first ever time flying too. 9h flight with a crying baby? thank Primus for noise canceling headphones. Stayed the whole month of December. -30 celcius and actual mountains is FUN.

1 Like

I so want to go to that part of the world at some point before I kick the bucket. I want to visit my uncles, aunts and cousins in Warsaw.

1 Like

Great story…thanks for sharing !!
/bow in respect

1 Like

While this would be a whole boat load of fun I am deathly afraid of being behind the wheel of a vehicle. Sure I have my drivers license but I never actually use it in its intended purpose. So I don’t venture out much.

1 Like