An interesting development

They messed the lore so much up, if anything I want a reboot and a true telling of the original story.

The lore changes are warranted, as its an AU. AU draenor from WoD also don’t work exactly like MU draenor.

I said nothing about it being warranted or not. The fact of the matter is that the so-called fans of the game pretty much passed on the film, complained bitterly about the changes, and those who were not emotionally invested in the game were not drawn into it. a movie centered around green-skinned orcs had little general appeal to the public who doesn’t play the game.

Their loss, i guess from now on the Chinese audiences decide what movies get made, since they shell out the cash now. Your dollar vote matters, and if you don’t vote, some one else will.

Which you shouldn’t mind if you go with their tastes. Think of it as a new anime source, given how the artform is fading in Japan.

Their tastes are the like of Mulan remake, which was meh, and involved irl internment camps.

Id rather people here and in the west watch more movies, that way our views get heard.

The problem with that is that they don’t share your tastes.

Their views were heard… their view was NO.

Well you’re not wrong. But i still think in a general sense, my taste is more similar to the average person in the west, than to a person from a totalitarian regime, with a completely different culture.

Either way, I have to point out that you have to at least tolerate the first warcraft movie in the hope that the next one learns from its mistakes.

Actually the audience numbers confirm that your tastes DON’T match with that of the average American.

Wait patiently… we’re working on seting up our own totalitarian regime complete with Theocratic Fascism.

Then again if you’re a person of color you may have reason to feel that we’ve already accomplished that.

That’s incorrect what 1619 aims to show just how crucial slavery was to building the early economy of the American colonies and the infant nation. this country got very far on unpaid labor… then it got farther on underpaid labor.

But unfortunately, ask anyone who doesn’t meet the dual criteria of being white AND male, and you’ll find that it’s not the practise.

Since they are in genres you should appreciat,e I highly recommend both the Watchmen mini series and Lovecraft Country which have the bonus of giving a much needed perspective.

And yes, that again… and again, and again… until the lessons sink in.

1 Like

More people would’ve seen the first Warcraft movie if it was advertised better. The only effort put in by Universal was a small trailer with annoying dubstep in it that didn’t explain what the movie was about. The studio didn’t care about the movie, if not hate it. There’s a director’s cut out there with an opening scene of Medivh fighting the Gurubashi Trolls when they attacked Stormwind along with other deleted scenes that aren’t on the DVD, which was shown when the movie first premiered, but they won’t put in the little effort to release it. Duncan Jones even wanted the Universal logo to be a globe of Azeroth for the movie but they wouldn’t allow it, despite Universal being fine with other franchises doing that.

1 Like

The U.S. didn’t pop into existence out of nothing in 1776. it was formed from pre-existing colonies which were founded in the 17th century. Those colonies when they were first formed, quickly ran into a labor shortage. They tried a mix of indendtured servants and enslaving the local population. When that did not suffice, they turned to the African slave trade which dropped off it’s first load of slaves June 19, 1619. Hence the title.

Other fun fact… did you know that we had ten Presidents before Washington? He’s counted as the first as he was the first to be elected under the Constitution, but there was an equivalent office referred to as President of Congress under the Articles of Confederation.

2 Likes

Why do people want a live action so bad? From wow no less?

I like seeing versions of fiction be made to look more realistic. Something about that is exciting to me. I got that from the Warcraft movie, with the only issue graphic-wise for me that needed to be improved being how the live action actors and the CGI actors could’ve meshed together better. I saw the movie in IMAX 3D and was amazed every time I saw a spell being cast. I got excited each time I saw a location because I recognized all of them.

1 Like

The rights may be still tied up with the movie studio.

Audiences liked it much more than critics did. (Those who went and weren’t scared off by the bad reviews, anyway.)

1 Like

If you’re white, you’re reaping the benefits of what slavery built. If you’re black, you’re still dealing with the parts of the colonising culture that survived the Civil War, flowered during the Jim Crow era, revived as a backlash to the Civil Rights movement, and encouraged to step out of the closet by our current President.

Being white means occupying a privileged position. You’re less likely to be targeted by police. You’re more likely to be hired, to be considered for advancement, and to live in a neighborhood that’s not being redlined by banks.

This is discussed at length elsewhere, I’m pretty sure that if we keep this dialogue up, someone is going to post for a locking of this thread. And I have limited interest in debating this topic when it’s clear that your mind is set on it.

3 Likes

That’s unfortunate. I’m not talking about individual cases. I’m talking about the numbers and the numbers bear me out.

Privilege has nothing to do with how poor or rich you are, but how skin color influences your treatment in society when all other factors are equal.

Racism is so pervasive in society that even Norman Rockwell illustrated it in his paintings. And if this bruises your heroic self image, that’s the breaks.

4 Likes

Well, to get back to the news about a potential new movie, I’m cautiously interested, but will wait to hear more details before I get too excited. I really think they should have just continued with what they started.