An interesting development

I know not everyone liked the Warcraft movie, due to it being an AU and not part of the main timeline, however, I still loved it, and at least a sizable number of people did as well. Well there is this news i think you all would be interested in. Maybe one day the film AU and the game MU will intersect, like WoD, except maybe this time it wont be terrible.

https:/
/wegotthiscovered.com/movies/world
-warcraft-movie-reportedly-works/?
fbclid=IwAR2h9T2uiAboUfn3ASkqb8LCyImbZX9IAs-ZO58DPRGnc37vbdiXZkA5TQ0

If you’d rather not go to a different site, the summary is another Warcraft movie may already be in development.

Lothar killed Blackhand denying Doomhammer the chance of taking over the Horde.

WC2’s Plot Points for right after the fall of Stormwind are: Gul’dan creating Death Knights who command true Death Magic(not Fel tainted by Nathrezim Death Magic), the Forest Trolls joining the Horde, Dragonmaw getting the Dragon Soul and Faol establishing the Paladins.

All this happens simultaneously!

The events after that are(in order): the Dragon Soul subjugating Alexstrasza, Alterac joining the Horde, Gul’dan creating Ogre Magi at the border of Quel’Thalas, Gul’dan going to the Broken Isles and finally the Horde being routed.

Gul’dan being the leader of the Horde during this time changes everything! The Horde lost because there was someone other than Gul’dan leading the Horde who was willing to divide his army to punish Gul’dan when he went to the Broken Isles.

Gul’dan can go straight to the Broken Isles as soon as he has invaded Stormwind! The Alliance will be too busy building it’s defenses to realize Gul’dan’s exact target! he seeks the Scepter of Sargeras and Eye of Sargeras!

I’m sure he will be just as disappointed as Illidan with the Scepter and Eye’s true power and have his spies scramble for other relics. Since there are automated recordings he will discover the existence of the Pillars of Creation and send out spies to find them which considering they are on the Broken Isles will be easy.

Once Gul’dan obtains the Hammer of Khaz’goroth and the Tidestone of Golganneth the destruction of Suramar and seizing of the Eye of Aman’Thul will be easy and once Gul’dan has it and the other Pillars of Creation alongside the Scepter and Eye of Sargeras he can easily invade the Alliance!

The logical flow of the story resulting from Lothar killing Blackhand ensures that Gul’dan has all the cards rather than be the underdog who ultimately gets defeated!

If the Old Gods enter the fray creating the Twilight’s Hammer then Gul’dan becomes even more of a threat.

Wonder if they’ll use the movie to add more context to the First Ones to see how people vibe with the idea in a live situation that is an AU of the Game Universe.

I’m not sure if they can do that without over complicating the whole thing. One of the big problems with the first was just how hard it was for non fans to understand. I can’t imagine the First Ones would help with that.

Just read the thing and it implies they are not doing it in the Duncan Jones Movie Universe…

They are apparently starting the whole thing from scratch…

What this is a Movie of is unknown.

1 Like

Interesting if true. I enjoyed the movie but I think there were a lot of things about the approach they took to the material that were misguided.

And I wouldn’t blame Jones for all of them, because from what he’s said about the production process, it was basically a three-way tug-of-war between what he wanted as director, what Blizzard wanted as intellectual property holder, and what Legendary/Universal wanted as producers and distributors.

Either way I’m not sure about films in general. Like a lot of people I think I’d rather see a series of some kind, to avoid the problem of runtime. Though that problem I suppose could have been solved by not filling the runtime with extraneous characters and distracting subplots, and not limiting the length to only two hours.

1 Like

I’m honestly surprised they haven’t tried already. The top comments on nearly every hi-res or animated cinematic they drop is some variation of “they should make this a series”. And as competitive as the streaming market is, someone is bound to pick it up.

2 Likes

Making a series of the same visual quality as WoW cinematics would be quite expensive. Even their cinematics that last 2-3 mins cost tens of millions of dollars.

A series is doable, but they’d have to tone down the cinematic quality a bit, or find some one who can put down many billions of dollars for it.

Yeah that’s the main thing, the runtime of a movie is too much for the cinematic team to do in addition to the games work, so a longer series is right out. And you don’t see other properties like Marvel doing anything like that – the CG that would be needed to depict the world of Warcraft is something that’s used sparingly and often sub-par due to budget and production length reasons.

That’s why I like the suggestion of doing something like Castlevania instead of photorealistic CG or live action. Or at least downgrading the CG to something like the Heroes of the Storm trailers, which is closer to what animated series generally get away with compared to corresponding movies.

1 Like

I know some people would be ok with a series in the same quality of Terror of Darkshore. I think something between that, and the hi res cinematics in quality is in their wheelhouse. Or mix live action with cg, again, like the movie.

I know it’d be one more cook in the kitchen, but I suppose they could also hit Daddy Activision up for a few million.

1 Like

The biggest problem in finding investors for a series, vs a movie, is that series take far longer to make the money back than a movie does. Some movies can cover production costs and start making profit within a couple of weeks from release, while series almost always take years to decades to make a profit, if ever.

Perhaps Netflix would be interested? Though, they’d probably turn it into an abomination like the live action death note or live action full metal alchemist.

Personally that sounds like a good way to hamstring a series.

If you want to integrate CG into live action, it must be good enough CG that the difference is minimal. That’s expensive, and time consuming.

Warcraft is high fantasy. It’s not like, say, a comic book adaptation series where it’s like, okay, we film in New York City with real actors and then plug in a CG monster to fight for three minutes of screen time. The whole world of Azeroth is a constructed one, so the environment needs to be lifelike CG. And a huge amount of the setting’s characters are not remotely human-like, needing lifelike CG to depict them.

The live action humans were the lamest part of the movie. Making all of the nonhuman characters so expensive to create would limit their screentime drastically, and you’d get the same problem but worse.

The only hope for a live action series comes from the Mandalorian. That series showcased some groundbreaking technology to help create photorealistic CG environments and integrate them with live actors. But until they have a similar solution for character CG, it’d still be very limiting in what a Warcraft series could actually do.

That’s why I’ve always said it’d be better to ditch live action entirely. If the CG doesn’t need to match real life, then it doesn’t need to be as advanced and expensive and time-consuming.

Well I hope this time there’s more money in the budget for Garona’s teeth.

I hope it’s a movie of the WC3 Burning Legion plotline, it’s easily the most cinematic of them and isn’t just fantasy Star Wars.

1 Like

As I recall Netflix is already doing a Diablo and Overwatch series. So I assume it will depend on how those pan out. And even then, considering those two are being developed the possibility of a Warcraft one is years down the line.

Found it: https://www.gamesradar.com/overwatch-and-diablo-animated-series-are-reportedly-in-the-works-at-netflix/

A greater number did not… the movie bombed on release, at least in the American market.

Unfortunate, I don’t see what there was to not like. We fans need to understand, beggars cant be choosers, a mediocre warcraft movie is better than just no warcraft movies. Especially if the next Warcraft movie is better than the last, and they keep learning from their mistakes.

On the flip side, the film did very well in China. If we keep letting china outspend us like this, it will get to a point where only Chinese audiences will get a say in what movies are made and how they are made.

All human characters besides Khadgar

1 Like

The diehard fans couldn’t abide the lore changes and the movie had no appeal for people who weren’t invested in the franchise.

3 Likes

If they do plan to restart the story. It should involve the events of war3 following Arthas. Even when the first movie came out, It always made me think how orcs just wouldnt out right work with american audiences. Not to mention where the story winds up going.

They needed to start with more relatable themes and easily followed story. Band of humans, investigate mysterious disease in land, following a prince and the terrible choices he needs to make. It can have some romance, drama, intrigue, and what not, but be grounded in a more simple story setting.

It also seems like undead monsters are more easily accepted visually. Slowly orcs, and demons can be mentioned and sprinkled in.

Later on they can do their origin stories as people become invested in the universe and lore.

2 Likes