An attempt to explain Alliance players' problems with Vulpera

Allied races are supposed to be like skins for preexisting races.
Let’s go over the motivation/justification (as I understand it) for each allied race:

• Lightforged Draenei - More militant-minded Draenei. Less willing to compromise in pursuit of their goals.
  • Highmountain Tauren - More fierce/warlike/tough than Thunder Bluff Tauren.
  • Void Elves - Blood elves for the Alliance. Gives the Alliance more dark-themed magic.
  • Nightborne - Night elves for the Horde. Gives the Horde more arcane-themed magic.
  • Dark Iron Dwarves - “Evil” dwarf race for the Alliance.
  • Mag’har Orcs - An uncorrupted orc race for the Horde. More pure/primal.
  • Kul Tiran Humans - Big/tough human race for the Alliance.
  • Zandalari Trolls - Male trolls who can walk upright. More civilized race for the Horde that doesn’t have Alliance origins (looking at you, Blood Elves and Forsaken) and has human-like proportions (looking at you, Goblins).

And now we come to the most recent and controversial Allied races. The infamous Mechagnomes and beloved Vulpera. At least those are the popular sentiments that I have heard from the most outspoken people.

Mechagnomes. Their motivation/justification is that they are a more combat-effective gnome who are willing and eager to use their technology in battle in a serious, non-comic relief kind of way. They are kind of like Lightforged Draenei in that they have a different attitude towards battle/war then the race they are based on.

Vulpera. As I’m sure you noticed, all the previous races (including Mechagnomes) were based on a pre-existing race. They are essentially versions of races we already had, just with their physical features and culture tweaked a bit. Vulpera break from this pattern.

They are probably supposed to be based on Goblins. However, the only thing they share with Goblins is their skeleton. Their physical features and culture are otherwise completely different. This is where I believe the accusations of unfairness by the Alliance are coming from.

Even if Mechagnomes were perceived as a “cool” and desirable race (and some people do perceive them that way), they would still be just a gnome variant. Vulpera, however, even if the majority of people hated them, would at least have the saving grace of being a completely unique race (within the Warcraft universe).

Blizzard gave the Horde what feels like a completely new race, while giving the Alliance the standard Allied race (variant of an existing race). It doesn’t help that Gnomes are an historically unpopular race, while people love the idea of small, cute, playable foxes.

If the Horde had gotten Gilgoblins (which are based on actual goblins) instead (I heard this suggested in another thread), there would have been parity between factions, and likely less complaining (I mean, gnomes would still have been unpopular, but what can you do? There had to be a gnome variant eventually or gnome players would have felt left out. And it might as well be now.) Their motivation/justification would have been that they are more physical combat minded versions of goblins (who actually look like goblins), similar to the justification for Mechagnomes.

36 Likes

How’s that Alliance only Bee mount working out?

36 Likes

One mount vs an entire race. :thinking:

68 Likes

Honestly, if they had made Vulpera dual faction the way they did Pandas, I still would rolled Horde.

They promised me scritchies and cookies…

6 Likes

Look, I get the Kul Tirans were not that popular with most (because of OPINIONS), but the Kul’Tirans were an entirely new model.

Just because you don’t like them, doesn’t mean you should diminish that.

Alliance could’ve gotten the furries, and they still wouldn’t of been happy.

42 Likes

No thank you, ya’ll can keep em.

9 Likes

Allied races are supposed to be like skins for preexisting races.

Just because something is doesn’t mean it has to be.

Despite their new model, kul tirans are still just a Human variant. And I’m not saying Alliance didn’t get something they should have gotten. I’m saying Horde got something they didn’t deserve.

13 Likes

Please, explain this.

So because a Kul tiran is “just a human”, it automatically doesn’t matter that they’re a completely new model to the game? Vulpera took the Goblin skeleton, threw some fur on it, and gave them big ears.

Above is one of your justifications that Vulpera are so “superior”. Literally the same comment applies to Humans and Kultiran humans.

14 Likes

The Vulpera are a bit enterprising, are they not?

Not to the levels of goblin avarice, but they like business and trade?

5 Likes

Vulpera stole Moonshire. They did it. Wow blizz, just wow.

I still think the alliance should get Sethrak. While I know the alliance didn’t do much questing with them, when it came to story. The race however, does give off a sense of order and civilization closer in line to the alliance. and I’m sure the race would also be looking for allies in order to help them rebuild their civilization.

11 Likes

OMG, I didn’t need that picture in my head…the scritchin’…the yiffin’ OMG…

1 Like

I’m getting owo’d and uwu’d on the battlefield by these fox things. I didn’t know the Horde lost its spine.

God, help me.

5 Likes

How you doin’ ?

Always had a thing for Gnomes…

9 Likes

Hardly. They actually went in and finely adjusted the skeleton, propped up their legs, resized pants and boots, fixed their walk cycle to match, gave them a tail with a lot of bones to make it flow, skinnier arms, ears, reshaped helmets to fit, and even gave them some unique animations besides their dance.

Hardly a slap on reskin.

18 Likes

Be honest, the problem has nothing to do with this being a “new race”, you just wanted the cute wittle fuzzy wuzzy fox people.

11 Likes

Eh… so were Zandalari - both of them were new reworks of existing races. Humans but fat. Trolls but upright. The shape and silhouette changed more than the other allied races (who are really just reskins) but they’re nothing like the vulpera.

The vulpera feel utterly unique. They come across as the first entirely new race we’ve seen since 2011 when mop and pandas launched. Which is a LONG gap. No wonder horde adore them. No wonder alliance are salty as hell.

It’s not akin to something like a mount (btw - I agree the horde should have had either than or a wasp mount of some sort - it was unfair given its popularity). Your character’s race is a fundamental thing you see each time you load the game. And in thread after thread, in game conversation after in game conversation, every alliance I’ve encountered had felt burnt by the decision to make them Horde only.

Especially as this is just adding to an already increasing faction imbalance.

Ideal situation would have been for Blizzard to realize how popular they’d be and If they didn’t want a neutral race, either make two factions within the tribes or create a small furry counterpart. Like… a race based on Pallas Cats. ^^ (google it if you don’t know what they are… :wink: )

7 Likes

You Vulpera are always asking me if I have a vibration setting? Well, I do… but, I’m not completely sure why you all must know!

9 Likes

Nope, the males are NE and the females are just female trolls.

3 Likes