AMD has FINALLY surpassed Intel in WoW, RIP

haven’t been keeping up with AMD news in depth.
I am assuming they did some magic voodoo rearragement on the chip that allow better communication between the components? Sorry I just keep seeing RAM and Zen 3 together a lot so this is just my assumption.

I dipped down to 60fps on am icecrown boss, there must have been a hundred people.

Actions weren’t even registering at all, it was a mess.

Not sure a ryzen 5000 would have fixed that though

2 Likes

AMD had a HUGE latency issue, it has been resolved. Hence why despite Zen 3 being 25% faster performance per clock they fell behind.

1 Like

Yep, HUB did a test on this

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/anyone-else-upset-about-zen-3-launch/710500/95?u=salhezar-feathermoon

That’s some huge gains. Huge.

Exactly, I mentioned this in a previous post of mine. Most of problems in WoW right now are engine related. Most modern CPUs will be fine for WoW for most content.

I’m getting well over 60fps TM at times but can’t get any actions in.

Zen3 is a new architecture. One of their biggest perf enhancements is 40% improvement in L1 performance, 8 cores on a CCD/CCX and 32MB of addressable cache.

1 Like

I was surprised, because I did something I almost never do - I zoomed in.

Normally I play at max zoom distance, and I thought that would result in lower FPS, but zoomed in actually returned worse framerate than zoomed all the way out.

Normally in those ICC bosses it’s only around 80-90fps.

1 Like

Then something is wrong with your rig because I tell you if I’m standing around doing nothing and I downgrade to 1080p I’m sitting at 412ish FPS on a 10900k with a cache speed of 4900mhz OC to 5.2.

The only person I know with a 5900x that plays wow gets less FPS in WoW than me. It’s not his fault though it’s because my Ram is 4400mhz and he can’t go that high. I also surpass him and just about every game we play. Only by a few FPS though.

When all these Benchmark comparisons were done they’re not done with the best Ram and often when they are compared against the Intel counterpart? It’s not overclocked and if it is the cache speed isn’t adjusted. Also the RAM used is under 4000mhz. I’ve actually talked to GamerNexus about this and they said the reason that’s not done in their comparison chart is the common consumer is not going to do it.

Now don’t get me wrong I’m not saying the new ryzens are not better. In technology they are better in every way shape or form however facts are facts and once you put anything over 4000mhz on the Intel it outperforms the ryzen counterpart on FPS. However the moment you do anything else than game on the computer the ryzen processor leaves intel in the Dust.

With everything said if I could buy a Ryzen 9 5900x right now? I’d return my 10900k without even thinking. I kind of settled for that processor because I couldn’t buy a 5900x.

1 Like

I’m going off what Hokushin posted as that’s all I have to go off of

My numbers will be a lot lower than yours because I need the system to be at stock. It’s a workstation and not a gaming rig. When I convert the 10700 to a gaming rig, I still won’t OC. I’ve OCed the 10700 and the game is just as enjoyable as stock.

The 5900X traverses the fabric to share data across CCDs, similar to Ryzen 3000 series. In theory a single CCD should be faster high higher memory clocks.
This doesn’t matter unless one tries to get every ounce of fps for benchmarking bragging rights though.

Hardware numb3rs is doing a lot of the testing you’d enjoy. He’s doing some extreme overclocking/heavy tweaking on the 10th Gen Intel and Ryzen 5K. Hardware numb3rs initial numbers has Ryzen 5000 faster in the scenes he’s testing. It’s a fun academic exercise for sure but it’s like saying CS GO runs 850fps On Ryzen 5k vs 800fps on a 10k Intel, game is more than playable on either platform. His tests are still going on. I suspect when the new 4000 CL14 RAM comes out, he’s going to have a field day.

Unless someone is getting a 2000 series Ryzen at stock we don’t have much to worry about on the CPU front.

That makes sense.
There are more people getting Ryzen 5K now and we’re getting more data as time moves along. As with anything in WoW the scene/settings matter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqwVQ7GIlJM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgoZWETh0o4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeoJGF6soZw

Honestly, at this point, I don’t know if there’s any point in upgrade CPUs, unless you simply are a PC enthusiast or just like to run benchmarks.
(Or maybe someone who does lots of video encoding)

GPU’s are a different story though.

2 Likes

There’s always a reason to upgrade. Sometimes it just to spend money. Sometimes it’s big gains.

I agree on the spending money part.
I know some people just like to spend money.

But performance gains? I dunno.
I’m strictly talking about gaming (since this is a gaming forum afterall),
but were in the 200fps to 300 fps territory.
Not sure if there are actual monitor which can display that amount of frames and also if we humans can actually see that much fps.
So in that regard, not sure if CPU upgrades are worth it anymore, IMHO.
(I guess power efficiency improvements is a reason to upgrade though. I’m personally interested in power efficiency at this point than increasing performance/clock speeds etc.)

Me personally, I’d rather see more photo realistic graphics in games than like 300+ fps.

1 Like

upgrade when your hardware is no longer giving you the performance you want and you are willing to spend the money for the upgrade that will give you the performance you want

2 Likes

Biggest gains I’ve had in gaming the past year or so:

Monitor upgrade
peripheral upgrade
expanded ssd storage upgrade for more games
case/cooling upgrade for visuals

I want to say my 5700 XT was significant gain over the Vega 64, and it is in some games (especially AC games), but outside of noise/thermals, it really isn’t.

If my wife didn’t need a new GPU, I would never have got it last Christmas.

Woooah there now common sense and reason.

Yeah, basically that.

It’s your upgrade. Upgrade when you want to!
-JG Wentworth

1 Like

If your talking Nathanos I did him this morning I was about 100-110fps on a 5900x and 3080 with most of the settings maxed out at 3440x1440.

I’ve never tried I can’t stand 1080p any more. At one time I ran 4k but 1440p is ok for me and now I’m at 3440x1440. Also I cap at 142fps so I’m not sure how high it goes. Problem is WoW has really heavy swings in fps its hard to compare…

EDIT: The 3080 isn’t the best for really high fps 1080p anyway its better for 1440p and 4k. So if you friend has a 5900x and RTX 3000 it could be netting him 100fps less…

1 Like

no, icecrown boss. musta been over a 100 people