AMD Black Screen Crashing

Opening the game, character creation, and logging in are no issue. However, once I have control of my character, after a few seconds I’m getting a full black screen crash of my entire PC, requiring me to hard reset. At one point, I needed to use DDU and full reinstall since it borked my drivers. Reducing graphics settings seems to make the crash take longer to occur, but my PC isn’t struggling at 8/10, it’s getting 90fps. 6950xt / 13600kf

9 Likes

same issue, earlier today it was working fine, then after server reset i made an undead warlock and it crashes after loading. fully crashes the GPU requiring hard reset.
9070 XT / 7700X

update: lowered all gfx settings to 1 and swapped card from auto detect to my card and it worked. will update if more info. works fullscreen (windowed) and windowed

more updates: played without any crashes for the rest of the night, was able to bump the gfx back up as well once zoned in with no issues. i did keep knocking them down for login just to be safe until this is addressed.

Same issue apparently changing screen setting to window mode might help

2 Likes

Can confirm changing screen setting to window work!

2 Likes

I also have had several crashes and I am using 6950xt as well. Drivers disappeared, pc froze and monitor just gone. Wiped and reinstalled driver only, amd clean up utility, etc. It was only happening when in the new high elf zone but when I was playing a night elf, I had no issues for 6 levels. I will do the recommendation listed above but had to post to bring awareness.

1 Like

Ok replying in hopes that we get this resolved. I am in the same boat and spent an hour working on this and resolved it…hopefully. Either way I have a work around if it happens to anyone else.

First, your GPU is not dying. Run FurMark and you’ll see your GPU can handle that just fine.

This is a shader issue. I was able to trigger it by going through the entrance/exit of Ruins of Lordaeron. The torches in there triggered it.

I undervolted my gpu thinking a power spike might cause it because that can happen in newer games when it’s not optimized. That didn’t solve it. Proceeded to cap FPS and that didn’t solve it either. Tried windowed mode and that didn’t work either. At this point I decided to turn every setting down to minimum. That worked. No crash. So, I raised them all back up one by one. I was able to raise them all to max without any more crashes. Very confused until I realized this resets your shader cache…that’s it. It just needs a shader cache reset.

TL;DR

So, in short set all your settings down to the lowest to reset shader cache and then raise them all the way back up.

Here’s to hoping blizz can narrow this down and resolve because this is a scary one.

1 Like

The secondary lighting is causing this issue with with DX12, set secondary lighting to fair and it should help.

Can confirm that after changing secondary lightning to fair it works again. Before this I couldn’t even see the first drawn frame post loading screen.

This is happening to me on a 9070 xd, when i log in screens flash black and then logs in without textures then screen flashes black, and amd detects a bug/disruption.

note checked a couple other games, including retail and regular classic them seems to be only happening with forever.

Edit-

changed lighting to fair seems to have fixed it.

1 Like

same issue here.

intel 270k plus

windows 11

amd (xfx) 9070 xt

this is the crash log:

ASSERT(clipMap.state == ClipMapState::COMMITTED || clipMap.state == ClipMapState::IDLE)
Engine\Source\ShaderEffect\VirtualShadowMap.cpp(339)

Seems like a C++ assertion inside Blizzard’s virtual shadow map clipmap state machine issue.

another issue (a render-target pool size mismatch) is:

ASSERTSAFES(texture->GetSize() == C2iVector(texturePool.resolution))

seems like an issue with MSAA being set to 8x in the graphic settings. I’ll try turning lightning back up to high and reducing shadow quality down from ultra high to ultra and setting MSAA to 4x instead of 8 since I am running 4k to see if that also fixes it.

edit:

so there are two types of crashes.

MSAA causing crashing if CMAA 2 is also enabled. Disable MSAA completely and just run CMAA 2 to fix that one.

The second crash is from secondary lightning. After testing every single graphical setting, one by one, it truly is secondary lightning. Anything higher than fair causes it to crash. Theoretically it could still crash even at fair. It just “works” because its reducing the number of lights requesting a VSM clipmap. Reducing the chance of it triggering because its overloaded. Why even at good or high, it doesn’t always crash. Those values just increases the odds of crashing.

So if you are crashing, disable MSAA if you have it on, and set secondary lightning to fair if you have it set to a higher option.

2 Likes

This is exactly what is happening for me as well(running AMD RX 9070 XT). I will add that this completely crashes my PC’s GPU usage and I need to hard reset. I have posted a lengthy reply on two other AMD Crash posts. I’m only here to bump the thread.

I’ve turned secondary lighting to fair, and CMAA 2 on. But my option to change MSAA in the multisample techniques drop down is greyed out, so I’m not sure how to change it. Still crashing.

Edit: turned off all anti-aliasing and turned secondary lighting to fair, still crashing and making me have to hard reset. I really hope blizz is aware of this.

Temporary fix is to run DX11 instead of 12. Stupid fix but its stopped it for me. Problem is I can’t get above 60fps on 11.

2 Likes

Huge appreciation for this post, helped me be able to log in! Been playing as a Tauren and only had major issues when entering and leaving dungeons or hearthing from one zone to another: Example Undercity to Mulgore. I couldn’t even log into the starter zone of the Skyelves until I changed the settings as suggested here.

wife is on high end amd card. to get this same issue fixed we switched her to windowed AND DX11 instead of DX12. hope this helps someone else too

1 Like

We shouldn’t have to be forced to use these work arounds. Especially when the game was running very well at the Beta launch. I understand it’s a Beta, but I doubt it will be fixed before launch(disheartening for us who pre-purchased Forever Collection).

The Ray Tracing does this same thing in Retail for me, and that ticket has been open for months. The mod said it was AMD, but it only happened when Blizzard did an update. My AMD RX 9070 XT is fine on literally every other game.

3 Likes

Just chiming back in to say I had to also switch to dx11 and keep secondary lighting to “fair”. Sucks…this is a severe problem though. Last crash forced me to do a DDU clean driver install. They’re going to end up breaking our rigs.

1 Like

Great work by everyone involved in this thread, fixed the black screen/AMD crashing and tripled the FPS i was able to get when it didnt crash.

It happened again today. In Org…blizz. Please. Contact AMD and address this. We can only do so much as users. I’ve submitted reports to AMD as well.

Anyone using NVidia cards, if you have GeForce Experience installed, check it. I suddenly started having issues with Fallout 76 crashing to desktop and when trying to figure out why, I discovered that GeForce Exp had “optimized” the drivers. I reverted them and have not had an issue since. So check there & try reverting the optimization.

AMD I’m not sure on though, that’s a Radeon card, right? It’s a card, not integrated into the CPU? I’ve seen other cases where the integrated Radeon graphics caused similar problems. Does AMD have a similar partner program to NVidia’s GeForce Experience? If so, maybe check to see if that’s doing a similar “optimization” for the game.

You can also check your WoW settings - try Borderless Windowed over Fullscreen. Also I think there are some other graphics settings either in the launcher or in the game prior to launching that might affect your card and how it’s being used. OH! Turn off any Ray-Tracing, if you have the ability to use it. It’s currently turned off in the Beta because it needs more tweaking, but Forever has its own Ray Tracing and you won’t be able to use your card’s settings for that.