Am I the only one who doesn't like Animal Companion?

I’m not a fan of using two pets, it felt like novelty in Legion and I’m kind of annoyed that we still have it and it’s pretty much mandatory. I like the feeling of having a “bond” with my pet and it feels kind of ruined when I have two, not to mention the talent multiplies funky pathing issues by two. Really wish this talent wasn’t so good

6 Likes

Hard disagree, I roll hunters because I LOVE animals the idea of being a outdoorsy person with a wild animal sidekick is was appealing to me. Most people roll hunters because they’re into the combat pets. Being a ranged based class is boring if that’s your sole characteristic. I think being a beast master is better because it is the closest a person can have with having an exotic pet that is not dangerous or illegal.

I like my pet cougar very much, so don’t your DARE make fun of my pets!

Killer Instinct is a decent alternative if you only want to use one pet. It makes you stronger during the execute phase. Also, for doing solo content, it helps your pet hold threat better since it’ll be doing 40% more damage or so than it would if you had Animal Companion.

Totally disagree with you here. The “Elven Archer” is my favorite archetype in games and the pets in wow are ‘meh’ at best to me.

2 Likes

I both like it and don’t like it. I like it because it’s fun to have two pets out at the same time. In PvP, it’s fun because the enemy may attack the “wrong pet” or is simply less likely to try and cc on of the two pets. When I just had one pet out in BG’s, it was far more likely to be focused and killed.

I don’t like it because I’d rather have one pet to hit harder to have more aggro. While I could be wrong, I think the main pet then has less life and is easier to kill. Further, I suspect (but haven’t tested) that leech would be affected, as more damage = more leech for a ferocity pet, and I doubt that leech works on the animal companion (if I’m wrong let me know!).

I enjoy the one pet special bound more.

hate ai pathing so with 2 pets it makes it double trouble. hate that I will be push to having 2 pets if my damage output is linked to it.

I do miss old MoP stamped that used my stable pets.

1 Like

Hard agree. I want to have a pet, not be a walking petting zoo. I’m a hunter not Dr. Doolittle. However I just don’t use animal companion and accept a minor decrease in performance.

1 Like

It’s a talent. If you don’t like it, don’t pick it.
Killer Instinct isn’t far behind, numbers-wise.

Having said that, Animal Companion as it is now, is nothing more than a passive damage boost and an aesthetic choice.

The idea of going with 1 pet or 2 as BM, is a fairly big deal for a lot of hunters as it can very much impact how you define yourself as a player.

IMO, they should scrap the talent and rework it into a baseline passive choice we can make. One that is only a visual choice, not one of performance. Similar to how they turned Lone Wolf into a passive for MM.

Basically, let us manually call out a single pet which deals 100% damage. And if we want, we can manually choose to call out a second pet as well. Doing this, activates a passive which makes both pets deal 50% of normal damage each, but they both use the same attacks.

Done. Anyone can pick whatever they want without it affecting performance.

5 Likes

I dont like having 2 pets either. Never have used animal companion

I don’t like it either, but Im glad its there for those that do.

Killer Instinct all the way

1 Like

Probably minority, but I’m with you! I’d rather my pet just deal extra damage and have the option to have two out it I want. It’s too much crap on the screen following me around. Plus, Benny gets jealous!

I actually like having the 2 blue spirit raptor following me.

1 Like