Am I Playing Brew Wrong Or What?

So I’ve tanked 14s on my 350 Blood DK and I’ve tanked 12s on my 320 Guardian, but my Brewmaster that is 380 I feel like it’s harder to tank 10’s even though I’m 30-60 ilvl higher. Is this a player issue with me not being great at monk or is it that Brew just isn’t as great at being tanky?

I could probably use Diffuse Magic and Dampen Harm more, but I don’t feel like that is a big enough issue to where I am doing so much worse than another tank that is 60 ilvl below.

1 Like

What exactly is your issue?
I can say some of the best ways for the last several xpacs to to tank as brew is to kite as much as possible. You can avoid a lot of dmg that way and still do pretty decent dmg still as well.

Well the problem seems to be that with Guardian I felt safe with knowing I could use a cd for every pull so I wouldn’t have trouble with damage in take and Blood you are basically invincible unless you get 1 tapped or get a lag spike. But for Brew I know that I have a ton of defensives, but it seems like when I use my defensives I’m just becoming as tanky as Guardian/Blood without their defensives.

Yea kiting seems like one of Brews defenses, but it just doesn’t seem right that the other two tanks that are severely under geared compared to Brew don’t have to kite as much, if kite at all.

I mean I haven’t done much this xpac in terms of keys, but it may just be a misuse of resources a bit. How much spinning crane are you actually doing for example, you can energy starve yourself pretty badly with that.

I usually only spinning crane kick once or twice at the start of a pack to get aggro on everything.

Smash should do that all on its own. But really it comes down to when you actually use your celestial brew and other minor abilities really.

Yea that seems to be my problem if I had to guess. I mostly try to save Celestial for when a big burst of damage is coming, but I feel like I am wasting the cool down reduction from keg smash by not using it off cd.

I mean you don’t necessarily want to use it on CD, but yeah you do want to definitely use it pretty often. Especially with the stacking buff from your purifying too.

Remember, tigerpalm also reduces brews cd too.

Idk Tigerpalm feels like there is barely any time to fit it in and not worth unless you are doing a boss.

1 Like

Sounds like you’re soinning crane kicking too much, also you’re not running rushing jade right?

Idk how I would press it too much, I just use it once a pull if mobs are too spread for keg.

No I’m not using jade, I hate using it and having to constantly keep it up.

Honestly sck is a trap for survivibility and with 2 keg smashes and resetting breath of fire every smash you shouldn’t need to use sck for anyway aoe.
Pressing it even once isn’t that beneficial since you can get shuffle from other sources just fine and the energy is better used for brew cd reduction.

Wouldn’t the 2 piece be worth using it since it reduces damage taken and increase damage done?

Notice the set bonus procs off palm too

Not sure if I’m right about this, but wouldn’t SCK give full stacks off of 1 use while Tigerpalm would require 4?

Honestly I don’t think so as it comes from activation, but I am not 100% on that right now.

Nvm just reread it, I guess once just for the 4 set makes sense, but I wouldn’t bother outside that if you don’t have the 4 set as the 2 set isn’t as consequential

Brews are one of the best tanks around right now. I would head over to the Peak of Serenity discord and drop your logs so they can see what you’re doing. 99% sure your rotation is off based on this convo and you aren’t rotating your defensives properly. Some other tips:
1.) SCK once does not activate all four stacks of the 4pc. SCK is filler. TP is filler on ST. The 4pc bonus is also underwhelming. I wouldn’t waste energy on spamming sck to get it.
2.) BOK on cooldown, to get hit scheme going always bok before Keg smash except during opener, Equinox has a video on Damage
3.) Get a weak aura to track celestial Brew stacks so you can use it when your stacks are around 6-9 stacks.
4.) Did I mention go to the Peak of Serenity Discord and drop logs? Also google Peak of Serenity to go to the website and take a look at the PVE guide.

Brew damage should be smooth and rolling in. If you feel better on a Druid (The worst tank class right now) you are doing something wrong. Brews prio system and amount of buttons can be intimidating. Once you get it down, it’s the most fun and engaging tank.

1 Like

I already do everything you listed (except for the peak of serenity and SCK)

Are you properly incorporating improved purifying brew right into an improved celestial brew and following up with an expel harm when needed? Black ox brew will make a huge difference. Healing elixir for when healer is struggling. Would be easier to help if you posted on your monk. It is harder work than other tanks but a higher ilvl is what you need. 380 is like week one of being max level. most people who struggle arent weaving purifying into celestial brew.

1 Like

~https://worldofwarcraft.blizzard.com/en-us/character/us/stormrage/knock Here is my monk

I usually keep 1 charge of purify on CD unless I know I am going into a pack that will send me to full stagger, if that happens then I save 2 charges for when I’m full stagger.