Am I in the wrong?

Farming 13-14s for crests. I main marks on my hunter.
I ask if they want me to lust, they say yes. I said sigh, alright fine. Get removed for “not playing the better spec”. Am I like… wrong to be mad at this?

Hello,

I don’t think you are “in the wrong” to feel the way you feel, but in my personal opinion, if you were the only lust capable class in the group, they group also isn’t wrong for wanting you to lust- its likely the reason they invited you to begin with. Also, I don’t think that Marks is a great M+ spec either due to the lust being tied to the pet and your main damage dealing ability, Aimed Shot, also has a lengthy cast time which disincentivizes you from interrupting if you were in the middle of the cast. Just my thoughts. Also, in my experience, most Marks Hunters come into the group assuming they will be the lust unless there is another class that can do it and they will generally throw out some form of confirmation statement so that the other lust class knows they will be handling it like- “Mage, you got lust” so there is no confusion.

I don’t think it’s a fair mentality that you have to be a certain spec to do X content. At the same time, pre-run communication is key to avoiding some issues like the one you ran into. For example, making sure you know ahead of the run that you’re the lust allows you to bring a lust pet to call out when the time comes. You can still MM, just have the lust ready for that boss fight.

As for groups who insist you be this one particular spec to run with them, in my opinion I say don’t bother. None of my alts even have their off-specs set up unless I have to use them for a certain old instance (namely my acrane mage requiring frost to solo that slime boss in one of the Qiraji raids) but if I ever felt like switching it up and gearing one of them for a season I’ll ask about any expecations and insist that if that group in particular just needs that spec, sorry but they’ll need a new DPS.

If you’re not pushing then they’re being unnecessarily picky. Don’t let it get to you.