Alternative Solution to Layering

Sorry, you only quoted a small part of what he said.

So, that is the only part I took into context. He is right, anytime a layer collapses within my awareness and I didn’t expect it, that would destroy immersion.

If you don’t want me to comment then take it to private messages.

i’m not trying to debate how money works, i am saying as a matter of principle it is how game companies should operate, or how artists/content creators should operate in general, make the product as good as you can get it to be for the sake of it being a good product for the customer to enjoy, and the money will come second, it is better to be a good game that sells less copies, than to be a mobile game which is fundamentally awful but employs tricks to spend more money on microtransactions, there is a long list of triple-A companies which put business before gameplay and it does not end well for them

a) There’s no such thing.

b) If you intend to butt in, ensure you have a clue what we’re discussing first.

There’s an extremely short list of companies who put the game before the money and were successful, and for many years Blizzard was on that list, and to some extent still are. If this was purely about money, Classic would have never happened.

But you can’t make a game without paying all those artists, developers, managers, testers, server technicians, server infrastructure providers and every other piece that is required.

Classic is a shoestring effort and they’ve done an amazing job. You’re arguing the 1% while pretending the 99% is irrelevant.

I did know what you were talking about, considering the context you presented.

On the other hand, you’re right as I thought you were commenting on the actual thread you are commenting in. How silly of me.

i think they can manage a short amount of negative media attention for login ques for the first 3-4 weeks if it means maintaining such a sacred + important aspect of the game, this aspect is quintessential to classic wow and it’s very important nothing is done to take away from it even a little

Yeah, half the posters on this forum disagree completely with this hyperbole.

Those same posters will probably defend whatever is given to them just because.

Tell us what you think layering should look like? Not what someone else told you to want.

You mentioned only changing layers in safe zones. How about only at the innkeeper and for a fee?

If it takes a few more days for some tech at Blizzard to hit the merge button than it does for layering to automatically merge layers, then who cares? You can live with a server at 1k-1.5k for a while.

Also, there’s nothing stopping Blizzard from merging a fraction of the servers instead of all of them.

Finally, his solution basically turns each layer into a server, so having black lotuses on all three+ layers won’t matter because each layer will have a vanilla server population size, and players won’t be able to exploit layering for resources.

Why? Aside from a smug sense of self-satisfaction, what would that gain?

A good living for poor inn keepers. Have ye no heart?

well, the end result of this myriad of small changes is retail wow, where nobody cares about anything and it feels like a mobile game designed to drain your money, this would just be one of those changes and only for a limited time but it still doesn’t help the game, of course it’s not actually “sacred”, but when dealing with things like feeling a sense of community or being immersed in the world, they are more “sacred” than the other parts of wow involving just stabbing or shooting stuff, again it’s why people appreciate vanilla over retail

Slippery slope fallacy is a slippery slope.

Layering is a launch-only solution to a unique Classic launch problem. And when Classic launch is over, it will go away too.

Layering is not a gateway drug.

It’s not really a fallacy if it’s the game’s projected timeline. Classic becomes retail over time.

In this case they are jumping the gun and injecting some retail further back in the timeline.

No, its a fallacy that Layering will open the door to introduce more retail elements into Classic.

Once Classic releases Content Patch 6, there will be no more changes except for exploit and bug patching.

Layering has never existed in Retail. So no, its new technology for a unique launch condition, not “early access” to retail.

i didn’t say it was, i’d say it’s like if the game were to feel like an actual rpg, mechanics like layering would be like adding a droplet or two of the toxic stuff in the glass of water, the effects aren’t immediately noticeable but it will disperse throughout and eventually the whole thing will feel like a non-rpg anymore, that’s why temporarily damaging people’s patience to wait to login is better than damaging immersion/player socialization, one is temporary and the has an internal effect and is harder to repair

No. It won’t.

You’re not raising new arguments or actually discussing the points being raised. You’re just saying “WoW is sacred and can’t be changed”. I’m not going to engage in discussion with religious zealots when I already know I’m getting what I think is a better solution, so I’m out.

Now this is a fallacy. Layering is the direct evolution of Instancing/sharding/megaservers. They are the same thing. It’s like peeling an apple and then trying to say it’s not an apple.

But since its an “evolution”, it’s not following the retail path. It’s introducing a concept for a temporary solution to a temporary problem.

So yes, claiming that Layering will turn Classic into Retail, is MASSIVE HYPERBOLE and a slippery slope fallacy.

Slippery slope is only a fallacy when the scenario doesn’t reflect the possibility of a slippery slope. The cash shop is an example of a slippery slope that is reality.

Blizzard is a business. If they think that adding an inauthentic feature to Classic will make them more money than what they’d lose in customers, you can bet there will be meetings to discuss those features. The less outcry against such features they see, the more likely they are to think that the benefits outweigh the costs. Welcome to loot trading, RCR, and layering.