Alterac Valley in Classic

Yes, quite. However they gave thought to the “spirit of vanilla” when considering the 15th anniversary version. Instead of “spirit of vanilla” in classic, we received what gave blizzard “clarity”.

Not a change considering they based “pre-TBC launch” as the reference for the version of vanilla they aimed to deliver. While they have time gated content releases, most other things exist as it did in it’s final pre-expac state.

That said, I would have loved to have the older version instead…despite there likely being longer queue times

Yes, a bit ironic that Classic got nerfed version of AV, where most wanted the original experience, and retail got the original experience, where most would have preferred the nerfed version.

Were they trolling everyone, or were they possibly gathering data on how well the old version might be received?

1 Like

When the poll was, that I missed it?

anecdotal evidence…read just about any given AV topic that’s been created, since the start of the classic forum and there are far more people advocating for earlier versions of AV than not.

This is not to minimize your own personal preference…just what I’ve seen following these forums since they’ve made the announcement

1 Like

Currently this thread has 133 likes , while the “AV 1.12 is a huge, huge mistake” one has over 10x the likes. I think that is polling enough.

1 Like

That’s not how poll work. And even, that’s just forum population, a really small % of player base. It would be easy to blizz make one, that appear when you log your account, but it looks that that’s not how they work.

What was that you saying about how polling works?

Of course it would. But unfortunately it would be tainted by retail players.

3 Likes

To be fair, I’ve not seen them poll anything like that, ever, for as long as I’ve been playing.

You could have made the argument that they just wanted to take the easy way out, and getting AV working without all the other NPCs, was easier to implement and balance…but then they go an release the original version in retail. LOL

The only 2 things I can come up with are…

• They wanted to stick to pre-TBC version of vanilla WoW as much as possible, despite having to deviate in a few places where absolutely needed
  • They may have felt that it was better for AV queues that the nerfed version be released than the older / longer version

As it stands, queues during prime time for Horde on my server are 30+ minutes…and that’s with the vast majority of people signing up for the honor grind. I can’t imagine what that would be if a significant portion of those folks would then be in WSG instead

1 Like

That is the great irony. If they thought 1.12 was good enough for classic, why was 1.12 not used for the 15th anniversary edition.

5 Likes

They said that they don’t have the older data, but well if that is true, its on them.

They said they did not have the older data, but then expended the time, effort, and exhaustive testing of an early recreation of it. Just not for those who actually wanted it, and only for a limited period of time.

1 Like

This leads me to believe that they didn’t feel the older version of AV was sustainable, based on long term projections of population size and rewards (honor per hour). I suppose they felt that version of AV would have eventually had super long queue times that would have been impractical for use.

It would be one thing if you were able to queue up remotely, where you’re questing, but having to get all the way to a capital city to queue for a BG that has a 1.5-2 hour queue time is a PITA and further reduces the number of people joining in.

I really wished they brought back an earlier version so that doing npc quests would be more easier without the game ending.

As you know, many of us don’t see these as improvements, and we aren’t glad. The real kicker was giving good AV to retail, so thanks for that. :crazy_face:

I just hope they don’t do anything to screw up Arathi Basin. Really hoping that one will at least be fun.

4 Likes

But back in vanilla honor per hour ( at least by the time 1.12 came out) was not a concern with AV. People were running WSG and AB for that.

AV really wasn’t designed to farm honor, it was more of a PVE instance that existed to grind rep. Later on it was turned into a PVE boss rush BG to get your honor points quick, then abandoned for years by the devs because they knew they messed up.
1.6 AV is even more important to have in Classic right now, there is zero incentive to do WSG, in fact even if you are a god in WSG, you might lose your rank because someone spammed pre made AV’s.

2 Likes

WRONG. Exactly and precisely incorrect. Those soldiers were hard to kill FOR A REASON. Also resources. Also the turn ins were a good (albeit small, reasonably so) cashflow for pvpers. A lot of faulty reasoning going into the rationale behind this. These are NOT improvements.

One of the best parts of the game. WAR IS HELL. Very bad and the pushback and continuing complaints by the player base only goes to show this was a bad move.

4 Likes

That right there is the absurdity of the system. You get tons more honor by virtue of avoiding PvP.

1 Like