🏔| Alterac: The Fallen Kingdom

:question:At First Glance:question:
In the past I glossed over Alterac as just a frozen land full of some ruined buildings and a few bandits and ogers. When building the backstory for Dawn I took a closer look at this lorderon winter-wonderland and found out that it has some really interesting and sad lore.

:small_orange_diamond::european_castle:Prosperity:european_castle::small_orange_diamond:
Alterac was once a beautiful land, ruled by nobles in cities, and was generally prosperous. The humans who lived there probably had a germanic/swiss theme behind them.

:small_orange_diamond::derelict_house:Desperation:derelict_house::small_orange_diamond:
During the second war the humans of Alterac secretly joined the Horde out of desperation to spare themselves from a similar fate to stormwind. Eventually found out as betrayers, the alliance allies of Strom enforced martial law and crippled the kingdom. After the war was won the withering land was cut up and given to various kingdoms (including deathwing).

:small_orange_diamond::fire:Destruction:fire::small_orange_diamond:
When the undead rampaged accross lorderon, the remaining people of Alterac were left to defend themselves and forced into the shadows. Around this time Arthas actually assembled most of his undead armies here before fighting against the remaining orcs, ogers, and trolls nestled in the hidden valleys.

:small_orange_diamond::large_orange_diamond:Rebirth:large_orange_diamond::small_orange_diamond:
Once the undead were scattered, the anarchist humans crept out of the shadows of their ruined homes and formed the syndicate. Living on the edge in their war-torn kingdom, having a hatred for the Alliance, Horde, Scourge, and Forsaken.

:small_orange_diamond::large_orange_diamond:My Thoughts:large_orange_diamond::small_orange_diamond:
To me the broken people of the Alterac are victims of short sighted politicians, greedy alliances, and several wars. Dawn grew up in these cold mountains before moving to silverpine and eventually falling to worgen then the scourge. Dawn’s story is similar to her homeland. I hope in the future, Blizzard can let these people redeem themselves and unite their kingdom to reclaim what was once lost. Perhaps they could use the worgen curse as their own path to redemption and help unite western lorderon as a Gilneas/Alterac conglomerate.

:small_orange_diamond::wolf:Conclusion:wolf::small_orange_diamond:
I will have Dawn become friendly with the syndicate even if she wont gain anything from it. I hope you all can see this mountainous land as more than just a few ruins and theives. But instead as a symbol of the tenacity these people have to not outright just abandon Alterac and move on.

1 Like

There is a couple of things wrong with your analysis.

We’ll start with the more minor of the two: Arthas did not marshall his undead in Alterac (not “Altrec”), he marshalled them in the various territories of the fallen Lordaeron. Moreover, he did not pay the orcs, ogres, and trolls of Alterac and its surroundings any mind. He could not care less about the desolated kingdom, his focus was wholly on uniting “his kingdom” under the Scourge. The only time he paid Alterac any mind was under the orders of the Burning Legion, in order to usher Archimonde in. And, really, it wasn’t because it was Alterac, it was because there was a functioning Demon Gate in the mountains. That was the extent of his interest.

Secondly: no matter how you slice it, the Syndicate are nothing more than a confederation of thieves, highwaymen, cutthroats, murderers, and worse. They aren’t victims, not by a longshot. Certainly, the late Aliden Perenolde would probably have loved to have you think so, as he robs you blind, but the reality is that the Syndicate are not victims, they are predatory criminals who make victims of other people.

Also, literally every legitimate successor for Alterac is dead. Unless they magic into existence a new Perenolde, the line is deader than a doornail. The Syndicate was also led by morally dubious nobles who once commanded Alterac’s people. Note the words “morally dubious.” They were not benevolent lords. Also, the Syndicate may have been manipulated by a Shadow Council group known as the Argus Wake. I don’t remember getting any confirmation. But, they were also terrorists and slavers. Two orcs, one a warlock, who are hostile to Horde and Alliance both are confirmed members, and I feel it’s safe to presume they are Old Horde orcs, rather than just renegades.

Thanks for spell correcting. I was going off of memory for the names. However the syndicate has roots as the people Alterac, their behavior was the result of all these problems. Also if you played the warcraft3 campaign you know Arthas had a hatred against the orcs even if the main goal was to take the demon gate you could wipe out the horde in the land including their dragon nests. These mountains was also where Arthas and KT convened and most doubtably brought a huge number of scourge with them. Yes the humans were manipulated by the orcs and shadow council but I feel they can be redeemed even as a group of anarchists. I don’t know, Alterac just seems to not be improving or moving forward in terms of story progression wereas the rest of the world is or at least in some way has healed or changed.

1 Like

The reason Alterac is not moving forward (besides Blizz being Blizz), is mostly because, well, the Syndicate aren’t anarchists. Again, their main leaders were Alteraci nobles, and even the Crown Prince, Aliden Perenolde himself.

The fact of the matter is, the Syndicate doesn’t want redemption. It wants blood. Arathi blood, in fact. They blame Stromgarde, a kingdom practically dead by this point, for all their falls and stumbles. Alterac, as a nation, has no sense of personal responsibility. It’s always someone else’s fault.

They’re not anarchists- they’re psychopaths.

You said

How can there be nobility if they are all dead. At this point they are anarchists and yes they do seek the blood of Strom because they essentially crippled their kingdom as I already stated. However I still feel they can be redeemed. You see psychopaths, I see victims of unfortunate outcomes.

With no more corrupted politicians now seems to be the best time for them to try and right their past deeds and like I suggested they can do this by taking the worgen curse. They are right next to silverpine and I am sure Gilneas can influence them in some way.

1 Like

The nobility are not dead, but they are also not legitimate successors. As for Aliden Perenolde, well
 we kinda bashed his brains in prior to the Cata reworks.

That being said, even if we killed all the nobles that’re left, well, frankly, the Syndicate won’t change because they have no interest in changing. Again, it is a faction composed entirely of murderers and thieves. There isn’t an honest man among them.

I will still advocate for them being redeemed. Sides this is a fan fiction/rp forum. I could have Dawn gather those with a fire burning in their hearts to see their kingdom restored and redeemed. If illidan can be redeemed these people can also be. Sure they are not perfect, but they are still worthy of a second chance in my eyes.

2 Likes

I can’t find ANYTHING on the ‘Argus Wake’ where’d you hear about that group?

1 Like

Spending my time in Alterac I have ran into human warlocks with that name. They are often near the syndicate, however they do not hold the syndicate titles. Apparently they are allies to the syndicate and are a subgroup of the shadow council, probably a result of the past allegiance between the Alterac humans and the Horde.

I question how much the syndicate are influenced by them now since most members seem to be human and they have a distaste of the Horde not comming to their aid when Strom took control of their lands. The syndicate have Warriors, Rogues, Mages, and Warlocks in their ranks. They also employ mercenaries to help assault areas owned by Strom.

1 Like

Found it! Thanks!

1 Like

Hey there, I really appreciate your attention to the Syndicate and Alterac’s history. The idea for worgen-cursed Alteraci is an interesting one to be sure—and one I’m certain that’s crossed my mind as well, given the close proximity of Alterac and Gilneas.

I myself have grinded the Syndicate reputation as high as it can go on my human warlock Sedryn and I regularly patrol and defend their mobs from horde players in places like Stromgarde Keep and Northfold Manor. You could call it ganking, sure, but I normally only do it if they attack the Syndicate. I also transmogged myself to look like their conjurors in old Stromgarde and use the Syndicate Mask toy to complete the look
if only for an hour to half an hour before the mask disappears. (I really wish the orange mask wasn’t a leather item and instead a cosmetic, universal one for everyone)

In my eyes, the Syndicate are true underdogs at this point and really do have it bad. Yes, I do acknowledge they have had bad leaders in the past and also having made their own personal mistakes along the way as well. Now, here is where our opinions may start to differ, but I kind of like the Syndicate’s identity as a group of bandits and mercenaries. I really admire their extreme tenacity and will to keep going for so long. Now they are almost gone and have almost nothing left to call a home/hideout anymore. It’s why I dedicate my whole being to just defending them, dressing like them and rep grinding with them. I’m actually hoping to get a reputation or be known as “Sedryn the Syndicate obsessed” or something.

(On a random note, I really wish they would canonize Beve Perenolde, Aiden’s oldest child in the RPG. If they did, she would be the last legitimate heir to the throne of Alterac and maybe Blizz could go from there. She has stated she has big plans for the Syndicate and that intrigues me greatly. She could be the next Vanessa Vancleef for sure.)

Now, I also really applaud your desire to see them come back to prominence as well. The idea for a redeemed, restored kingdom of Alterac certainly has its appeal. I also like your ideas for incorporating them with Gilneas and having them cooperate. All in all, I’m glad to see at least some people are thinking about the former citizens of Alterac like me. Thanks for taking your time to write all this as well as to read my comment too. Take care.

In his human guise as Lord Prestor. They did not deliberately give it to a dragon. :slight_smile:

Alteraac kind of put itself into that position with the treachery of it’s ruling nobles.

The Syndicate are cuthroats murderers and scum of the worst kind. Any “redemption” for whatever survives of Alteraac, (and there really isn’t that much) would have to start with the eradication of that group of thugs. They’re worse than the Defias
 at least the Craftmasons started with a legitimate greivance before they let Onyxia lead them down the road to hell.