Alt grind for returning player , how bad is it?

So I’ve played a little here and there since 8.2. I would really love to come back to the game but I’m worried It will require doing uldum and vale quests daily to play on anything besides my main ( which I already am doing them on) don’t get me wrong I don’t mind grinding but how many daily quests will I have to do if I wanted to gear an alt ?

That being said I have all essences to rank 3 except the newest ones. What do I need to do for an alt to be able to do high end M+ / PvP

If you want to do higher end content, you will need to max out your cloak. (Corruption is powerful, so getting that corruption resistance up is important.)

If you’re looking for maximum benefit for time spent in Uldum/Vale, I’d focus on assaults and mini-visions vs. doing the dailies each day. (Pick up the dailies when doing an assault as you’ll often be able to get them done while doing it, but otherwise, skip them.) You may still want to do all the dailies the first couple weeks for extra Vision runs for the earlier cloak levels, but you’ll quickly get to a point where you’re getting more then enough coalescing visions from the assaults/mini visions to sustain you.

1 Like

In addition to what Udiza said, don’t forget that you can buy vessels in exchange for Echoes from MOTHER as well. I agree that getting the cloak ranked up is priority, and then you can start worrying about getting any extra corruption (aside from random drops you get along the way) from there.

As far as actually making an alt viable these days, gear catchup isn’t an issue at all, and if you already have all rank 3 essences, it sounds like you’re in good shape on that front. A week or two of visions, world bosses, WQ’s, and lower level M+ will easily put you in the 450+ range on gear, so focusing on the cloak and corruption acquisition after that will really be your only hard stopping points along the way.

1 Like

I believe doing the weekly heroic warfront will also not you a piece of 460 gear

Maybe there is stuff that I didn’t skip but I found that in order to unlock the the cloak’s quest line you first had to unlock Nazjatar and to me it that was a drag. It really is my most disliked place in BfA.

Then the cloak questline itself is also a drag. At least on alts you can skip the scenarios (there are 3 I think). Just talk to a guy, he gives you a quest that you know will go into an instance, talk to him again and select “done this before”.

My post above was essentially a reaction to the very early stages of gearing up an alt. If I made it sound like a bit of a slog… well it is. But its one that you eventually get past. If you have a weekend to burn on gaming, you can bang all those stupid quests out in 1 go.

Once you’re past that you can focus on gearing. For me I did,

1. Mythic dungeons. Many people make this activity sound like a loot pinata, I really don’t see that. I did at least 6 M+ this past week + 7 regular mythics and came away with 4 usable pieces (1 of which replaced an earlier version) and burned through 4 re-roll seals too.
  2. Some casual pvp and wpvp (got 1 item from hitting conquest cap)
  3. Emmissaries, Darkshore Warfront quests, Weekly Event quest (several more items of gear).
  4. Ulduum and Vale Assaults and all the dailies. The Assaults can reward gear which is nice but the main objective is grinding coalescing essences
  5. 9 Horrific VIsions (grinding echos). Failed 2 because I was stupid but I did succeed on
    NOTE: in a moment of frustration I also wasted some gold on the AH for 2 items.

Right now the objective for me is to grind echos of nyalotha on my alt. With those I can buy the Rank 3/4 essences from Mother that I’ve already unlocked with my main and, eventually buy specific corruptions that the alt’s spec needs.