Allied race: San'layn

The number of players I have seen who are absolutely livid at the idea of Calia becoming the forsaken leader is more than enough to tell me old school forsaken players need a bone thrown to them before Calia takes over.

This is that bone.

2 Likes

I’m not suggesting Darkfallen are more wanted than Ogres. Just Broken.

That is what we, in the business, call an “echo chamber”.

1 Like

And I suppose you have some other metric to say most forsaken players are excited about Calia taking over?

If that’s how you’ve interpreted my response, then you are mistaken. The echo chamber referring to, of course, the fact that you feel that getting san’layn would soothe the hearts of forsaken players. I’d wager a guess that you knew that, though.

1 Like

****ING BARF!

Most people hate that Lightforged undead is a thing that there’s even one of! Nobody wants them as an AR.

They don’t. Any opinion they don’t agree with is from an echo chamber. While their own opinion represents a mysterious silent majority.

If we have to get vampire elves, i’d want the venthyr. they’re at least aristocratically ugly.

I wouldn’t even classify them as elvish. They’ve got more of a Nosferatu look than an Elven look to me.

3 Likes

Every time the topic of playable San’layn comes up, people always try to argue that they’re not really elves, despite the fact we are explicitly told they are in fact elves.

Even OP’s recruitment scenario acknowledges them as being elves.

Your bone ignores the root of the problem: Calia. If Calia is the problem, then the solution should be to avoid having her becoming leader of the Forsaken. Blizzard is only creating another Garrosh situation by forcing that change.

And if Calia does become the leader of the Forsaken, then playable vampire elves make even less sense then they do now.

Calia leading the forsaken will be better for them as a people.

San’layn are just an olive branch before that happens.

Except Calia’s possible takeover will also bring a shift in philosophy and identity for the Forsaken which doesn’t mesh well with what we know about the San’layn.

I was replying to @Dreadmoore saying he’d rather have the Venthyr than the San’layn. Personally, I’d prefer that option instead, too.

Woops. Sometimes forums don’t make it clear if a comment is a response to someone else or if it’s stand alone. But my comment still stands though for anyone else who tries to argue that San’layn are not elves.

Regardless, my apologies.

S’all good

I hope San’layn becomes playable. It seems right now Blood Elves lack that Vampire/Dark Elf Theme on the Horde.

2 Likes

I think San’layn should have a slightly-tweaked model so it’s not another Blood Elf silhouette race. They should be elongated (taller but just as skinny), with sharp claws, noticeable fangs, flightless wings, and ear/nose options closer to resembling bats than elves.

Racials would be something like:

Frenzy: Increases your movement speed when nearby enemies are beneath 20% Hp.

Hunger for Blood: Increased critical strike chance to enemies beneath 20% health.

Vampiric Assault: Passive Leech Bonus.

Fortified Will: Reduces duration of Charm and Fear effects by 10%.

Dissolve: Active. 2 minute CD. 0.5 second cast. 5 second duration. Turn into a pool of blood, making you untargetable by all players and enemies, but unable to use spells. Snares are suppressed during this time, movement speed is increased by 30% if you’re moving towards an enemy target, but you lose % HP every second you’re dissolved.

I mean, they’re elves to the extent that Forsaken are humans. And only ****s try to argue that Forsaken are just another race of humans.

Isn’t that kinda their point? If Calia mellows the Forsaken, the San’layn will be there to carry on the evil undead traditions of the old Forsaken.

Stop trying to deny me my elf Alucard!

The Revantusk forest trolls are still with the Horde, no weird “technically they are/could be in some way” as with the Amani.

Would love all three of those. Taunka and Mok’nathal already make sense too, since they’re already in the Horde. Yaungol aren’t in the Horde yet but it wouldn’t be hard to have at least some join.

Ogres would also make sense with the Stonemaul Clan.

To OP:
I’d love San’layn as an AR, but I’m seriously doubtful of it, I feel they’ll just be left in the dust after BfA. It’s possible but I’m pessimistic. Kael’thas could have something to do with them during/after Shadowlands, but again I’m doubtful.

Don’t forget the Hozen. Oh, and Gilgoblins now.

1 Like

The Horde is already overflowing with so many potential races that have either worked closely with, or has members already in the Horde, or would be easy to incorporate them into the Horde.

As for ‘already members’ the Horde has: Ogres, Hozen, Tanuka, Mok’nathal, Forest Trolls, San’layn (before they all died?), and other varieties of ‘Undead Elf’

For races that have worked closely, or could be easily added: Gilblins, Yaungol, Desert Trolls (as per Shadowland customization), and Frost Trolls (Which share the physical form of Forest Trolls)

There are plenty of allied races (or just additional customization options for existing races) that could be added to the Horde, and of these … I’m of the personal opinion that San’layn are pretty low on the list of races I would be excited about seeing as a new allied race. I feel that they are very small in number, even more so than the Void Elves, and do not really have any culture, territory, or unique aspects to bring to the Horde other than just being vampire elves.

Of course, if they were added, I’m sure they’d be a popular choice regardless due to the looks and cool factor they bring on their own. Though I feel other races would be more interesting to be added. Such as the Gilblins (and the potential aquatic allies they bring to the table if a faction like the Unchained joined the Horde with their Sea Giants, Murkala, and Murlocs they bring with them.)

3 Likes