Alliance Internal Conflict

Yes the well is already poisoned, complete apathy when something pops up about the factions is the only thing left come to the dark side.

But… They don’t?! They may drop the story on occasion but any “distancing, justifation, or absolution” is just your perception of it. Hell, they try to justify Horde aggression FAR more then they ever do with Alliance.

This is absurd and clearly just your own biased interpretation.
And it’s even debatable as to that even had any effect whatsoever on the events in Silithus. I mean, the Alliance didn’t even KNOW Saffy was kidnapped before Gallywix started trying to weaponize Azerite, for which was the real reason the Alliance attacked.

1 Like

I agree and disagree.

There isn’t much that the Alliance does that it aggressive towards the Horde, but the biggest one I can think of is Genn attacking Sylvanas in Stormheim. Granted, I do think it was justified from a story perspective because to Genn the Horde betrayed them and left them to die, BUT after the fact Genn was never punished for this.

We were at war with the Legion first and foremost, and as justified as I think Genn was it was an aggressive move towards the Horde.

Having said that, I do agree with you that they absolve more Horde crimes than the Alliance. How many times has the Horde attacked and destroyed an Alliance settlement and then it just gets scapegoated onto one person? It’s been a lot when obviously that one person wasn’t the only one at fault.

1 Like

The justification used for why the Alliance attacking Bilgewater miners in Silithus was the Bilgewater’s attack on the Explorers League. Which only happened because Gallywix had to kidnap Sapphretta for Grizzek for Grizz to work for him. Outside of this single event, there was no other justification given for why the attack on cartel civilians wasn’t a direct act of war by the Alliance leading up to the WoT. And even then BtS really confuses the timetable of these events.

Also, no, Blizz doesn’t justify the Horde. We’ve never been allowed any real justifications for attacking the Alliance that were allowed to matter. What happens is that Blizz creates a McGuffin to save the Horde, because they can’t really allow one player faction to destroy the other. No matter how many reasons the Alliance is given to do so. They straight up validated Daelin’s image of the Horde and its races in BfA … how is that invalidating anything?

3 Likes

Well, There wasn’t a whole lot Anduin COULD of done to punish him. He was a Sovereign King who acted on his own. Yes, he did it on board and Alliance vessel and while commanding Alliance Troops but the most Anduin could do was chastise him and take him out of the fight. The Former he did but the latter would be denying the Alliance a Valuable ally during a World Ending threat. Sadly, the damage was done and there wasn’t anything Anduin could do that wouldn’t shooting himself in the foot. The only thing that could of been done was to carry on and hope that it didn’t have lasting consequences …

1 Like

You’re right, he was limited in how he could have responded to Genn’s participation in an attempted assassination of the opposing factions Leader; with nothing concrete to go off of either before or after. No one really knew what she was doing, and she could have easily made the argument that she had found a way to improve her people’s livelihoods considerable … and no one could have called that bluff. Because, yes, Primes could do that.

He could have however punished Rogers, and was well within his rights to do so. But he did not. He gave her a slap on the wrist and sent her on her way.

To be fair, Genn didn’t know she was the Warchief, how would he have known that?

Also Genn knew she was there looking to steal some kind of power, as we saw with the journal you find in Azsuna and take to Genn.

Because it was a self-fullfilling validation.
The Horde and the Alliance alike are capable of great and noble deeds as much as they are horrible and tragic ones. The Act of Daelin ensured that the Horde would follow the Horrible and tragic path. But it’s also part of the Horde’s fault for doing the same to the Alliance.

The way the Alliance and the Horde treated each other led to this outcome. It was inevitable.

Yes he does. If he has that book, he knows she’s warchief, because we held an extremely public funeral outside the gates of Orgrimmar immediately following the Broken Shore. Where it was clearly shown that Sylvanas was the new Warchief. Even having Vol’jin’s Alliance friend Tyrathan Khort secretly in attendance not far off from the pyre. How could they not have known?!

But, its never allowed to matter. These are high ranking Alliance leaders coopting Alliance military resources in attempt to assassinate a world leader during a Legion Invasion with absolutely nothing concrete to go on. Stormheim was no less a declaration of War against the Horde than Varian outright declairing War against the Horde in WotLK. But in both cases, weak justifications for their actions are given that invalidates them entirely and then the Horde becomes the “ones that start it”. Cuz we need to be the baddies.

4 Likes

We don’t know she wasn’t punished. I mean, we know she was present for the briefing on Azerite, which was when Anduin chastised her for her and Genns actions but we haven’t seen anything of her since then.

Would of been nice to actually know what happened to her after that but we do know she’s not involved in BfA in a time when the Alliance needed every able fighter in the field.
A mere mention of her being relieved of her command was a notable oversight in BtS.

1 Like

It’s tragic that he wasn’t included somehow in the quest chain following Vol’jin’s death. I mean, not even a mention of him in Legion, fighting against the Demons to keep his promise?

Arguably, it was a declaration of War but not by the Alliance as an entity. Otherwise, you’d have to argue that every act of aggression against one another is a declaration of War, which neither side is innocent of.

1 Like

I don’t really agree with either idea for internal conflict you suggest OP. That being said there are certainly ways to present an internal conflict in the story but subtly and directly. For an example of a more subtle sign of internal conflict have flavor text where a Night Elf Sentinel and a Dwarf Rifleman argue over the best way to defend a settlement; with several veiled insults thrown in. For a more direct sign of internal conflict have Genn Greymane decline to send aid to reinforce Stromgarde until aid is sent to rebuild part of Gilneas.

1 Like

Honestly I wonder what happens once Thrall fails to bring Tyrande what was promised. Surely she’d still want justice? Or maybe she dies in Shadowlands, or both of them.

1 Like

They don’t have the journal. Don’t give this claim a free pass.

The Alliance-side buildup to Stormheim specifically has the principal characters mentioning they have no idea what Sylvanas is there for.

5 Likes

That’s because Blizzard changed the way Legion leveling experience. It WAS a linear story where Azuna happens before Stormheim, so Genn knew why Sylvanas was there (well within reason, he knew she was there to steal a power, didn’t know what it specifically was though). But then Blizzard was like “players needs choices!” and made it so that we can pick which zone we go to in Legion in whatever order we want. Because of that they had to give Genn generic dialogue to make it look like he was just there because Sylvanas was.

Wouldn’t the easier assumption to make be that the horde player canonically retrieved the message instead? Or are there meant to be two of the same?

And?

They changed Brennadam to be a Horde attack instead of a quillboar one. We have to deal with that despite it being enormous nonsense.

What was originally intended and then changed has no bearing - what we have to work off of is what is. And that, in this case, is Genn didn’t know what Sylvanas was up to, and launched an unprovoked attack. It doesn’t matter what he discovered later - at the time of the attack, said justification did not exist.

3 Likes

Did you mean Brennadam? <.<

And, you can still find the journal and bring it to Genn in the live version so it is save to assume he still knows she is there for something nefarious.

Honestly I think the story there works better if Genn doesn’t know. It kills off a lot of the flaw of him being potentially-fatally impulsive if he’s given justifiable proof that something bad’s going to happen, and it turns the bit into just another alliance reaction.

4 Likes

While I’d never not enjoy people wringing their hands at the idea of a very stupid and unprovoked attack to justify burning down a World Tree…

Giving that we know the order of the zones, the Captain’s Log was retrieved and potentially delivered to Greymane by the Alliance, or destroyed by the Horde.

Now it’s up to us (or more accurately, the players who did the quest) to decide of if they went in on Sylvanas because she was up to something or just because the opportunity presented itself.

I honestly couldn’t care less anymore if it was justified or not. At the end of the day, the Alliance would have likely gone figured out and stopped Sylvanas’ plans anyway. Just maybe without losing their last airship.