Alliance Elves really needs better treatment

I know story logic is at a premium these days, but isn’t the simpler current explanation that Tyrande was just burning herself out by using up the last of her life force knocking Sylvanas out of the sky?

Putting this in spoilers since I think at least one person here (Kaileena?) doesn’t want future content revealed ahead of time:

It doesn't make sense that Elune would depower Tyrande at the last moment, allow her to come close to dying, just to let her power back up and almost go nuclear later on and only THEN choose to save Tyrande anyway.
5 Likes

EDIT: oo, it only just occured to me that this post may be the equivalent of replying to someone saying 'Black Lives Matter!" with 'ALL lives Matter!" which was not my intent AT ALL. Night elves especially have been pretty slammed in BFA and still not gotten any decent resolution so far. And Void Elves could use some more love, but they ARE quite new. I think there’s still time for them to shine.

Blizzard has been especially guilty telling racial stories using only their leaders for the past few expansions.

Most races outside of Stormwind Humans need better treatment.

Kul Tiran Humans and Zandalari Trolls just got a whole (well, half-ish) of an expansion about them, and they were almost inarguably the best part. They’re fine.

Night Elves got the worst kind of attention/treatment. In SL we only see Tyrande and Shandris get any development. This is partially justified by it taking place in another world and those two being among the only nelfs who followed in from Azeroth, but we need in-game stuff about the rest rebuilding- actual quests and such, not mission tables or lines of npc dialogue- we need to SEE it!

Forsaken are stuck in the same ###### place that Nelves are, possibly even worse. At least the Nelves still have their own leadership. Voss and Calia got jammed in there because… the writers forget there was anyone else? They want the Forsaken to be more like bland humans?

Darkspear Trolls have worse in-game representation than the nelves, though at least they didn’t get all blown up. Vol’jin’s storyline has been decent, but it’s only him and Rok’khan that only ever show up.

Panderan might as well not even exist after MoP.

Gnomes got some love, and we just got introduced to their cousins the Mechagnomes.

Magni got crammed down our throats, but does he really count as representing the Bronzebeard Dwarves anymore?

The Dark Irons got some play both story-wise and as PCs now.

Tauren are wasted- we got the eagle guy from Highmountain helping in a few BFA Horde quests. Baine continues to be Useless, existing only to Suffer and Be Good (aka taking sides with the Alliance over the Horde at every opportunity- to be fair, the horde keeps getting Villain-Batted).

Orcs show up a lot, aside from Thrall and Saurfang Cringe, are all stupid villains. WoD had a whole lot of orcy stuff, even though yes, they were mostly the villians.

Draenei got good stuff in WoD and the end of Legion. The Lightforged are still too new to get much- one good character already got wasted in BoD questing sadly.

Worgen have really had their noses ground into their own poop and told 'BAD DOG!" by the story. They loose their second home, and get a racial quest line telling them how wrong they are for being worgen and how much they should prefer to be human.

Vulpera only just showed up, and got most of a zone- about half?

Nightborne got all of the best zone in Legion, and a couple good character moments in BFA. Void elves got some good moments in the War Campaign. They’re both still pretty new though.

Goblins tend to only ever get bits here and there but they’re so damned fun when they do! Plenty of good goblin fun to be had in BFA for Horde players.

6 Likes

This doesn’t add up with the following Night Warrior questline, where Tyrande absorbs even more of the NW power.
And the dialogue that clearly implies Elune withheld the power “Once again, she denies you victory” and “Mada Moon, do not forsake mee”

I’d love it if they made a new nelf city, imagine an update Darnassus. Not sure where the High Elves would build a new city though, I suppose the void elves could construct one on their void space comet.
Also blizzard please add a friendly phase of Suramar, It’s a shame that city is unusable.

1 Like

That’s a headcanon so far that contradicts what is known from the other night warriors. And the comment of the Tyrande VA.

It’s rather telling about the personalities of the people in the writing team when they focus on the emotions and character of the abuser (Sylvanas in this case) that the victims (those who survived / lost someone dear / or is gone forever).

If that story of their suffering was the center of the marketing, it should have a central spot in the narrative too.

I get that some are fans of Sylvanas and such, but those who suffered deserve to be portrayed as no less valid or important as the abuser.

(unless the real story is “well, if you’re a friend / favourite of the right people, then those pesky creatures can be ignore”. I’ve seen it somewhere. In the interactions with the players. About the feedback for gameplay and story. And recently - somewhere else. What a surprise (no) ).

They could all settle next ot the Well of Eternity. For the void elves that would be a place to research the remnants of the Void presence as well as the nightmare. High elves as well as the highborne might have quite a bit of interest in the moonwells, and the Well itself. For the night elves it’s a place of high importance for a while.

Just need to find a place for draenei somewhere. It’s rather sad to run in TBC and see a mix of the night elven and draenei quest givers, only then this theme to be dropped.

gl hf

1 Like

It was always funny how people in this forum complain about night elf posters when anyone whose ventured outside of the story forums can tell you the High elf super-fans are far worse, if not downright deranged.

Now if you’ll excuse me, I have to stuff myself back into a fridge for cheap victimization points.

1 Like

Main difference is that we don’t get a million “High Elf Legacy” or “When will the High Elves get to go home?” threads in the story forum, all just repeats of the same topic and doomposting, and generally we would much more likely just get another Purge thread or change of topic.

At least with Night elf posters I fully acknowledge they’ve got every right to feel slighted by the BFA story even if I disagree with many of their solutions and tendency to downplay other fans’ issues with their stories during the same timeframe.

They got screwed in BFA and are unhappy about it. Makes sense. We can disagree but even with the most extreme Nelf posters, I can at least see the cause of their complaints.

The High elf crusade is just one big circle jerk about a race that was never shown or explained to be more than a tiny, tiny fraction of the alliance outside of the Kirin Tor delegation. That alone isn’t too bad but their toxic/insatiable attitude is just the worst.

The Void elf compromise wasn’t perfect, but realistically Blizzard was never just going to hand one faction’s race off to another, at least without balancing it out. Blizzard gave them further concessions when it came to cosmetic changes, and yet it’s still not enough, and will never ever be enough for them.

12 Likes

The High Elf discord tried to raid and mass-report the Story Forum Discord as a “terrorist organization” because their megathread in the General forums got locked due to a forum bug. They got it in their heads that we were mass reporting them. They then raided the discord, got laughed out or ignored, and they banned everyone originally from SF server from the Helf discord in some childish lash out.

You know a community is toxic when MMO-champ of all websites has containment threads for them.

3 Likes

Confession: I read through that entire thread just to enjoy the near endless back and forth.

One thing I don’t get is acting like the rangers are some separate culture from Silvermoon, rather than being similar to basically every culture in having more outdoorsy people away from the capitol or larger towns. There is literally two veteran rangers in the leadership trio, for crying out loud.

4 Likes

The point Reallyhappy was making was that the recent additions was an effort to fix the horrible things they did in BFA to the NEs.
If that is the case, then why write a storyline where to defeat Sylvanas requires Tyrande to die and then build a cinematic around the whole concept of Sylvanas and Tyrande going blow for blow as equals until Tyrande uses Self-Destruct and it wasn’t super effective.

Here is what they could have done.
Tyrande completely over powers Sylvanas in the fight where Sylvanas appears injured and on the verge of defeat (rather than a momentary surprise blow) and Tyrande’s powers begin to be too much for her. Sylvanas escapes and Tyrande tries to regain control before Ysera flies in to help.
There. No undead asphyxiation necessary or another smug Sylvanas getaway.

This is all assuming the recent NE developments were supposed to be an apology for BFA.

5 Likes

Was this somewhat recent? Back before I stopped reading those threads (around when the allied races were all announced?) there was talk of them being toxic but nothing that awful.

I sincerely wish people would step away, take a breath, and realize this is all just a game/story and that we don’t need to get this invested in it.

There’s also a huge ranger presence in much of the Eversong/Ghostlands questing too.

Also outside of the city itself Eversong is basically nothing but outdoorsy forest. It’s not like it’s one big metropolis/suburb…

2 Likes

It’s basically fan fiction of a more LOTR alternative to Night Elves, which is especially amusing considering their largest group is literally based in Dalaran, which is basically a human led mini Silvermoon.

2 Likes

My guess is that they wanted to brush up against a possible worst case scenario ending for the Vengeance Is Bad arc without actually going all the way. Nothing would really top having someone sacrifice everything for revenge, only to fail at the final hour and die for nothing.

Putting her into a dream coma is probably the closest they could skirt the line for that without actually killing Tyrande.

2 Likes

I’m gonna go onto the Lord of the rings online forums and demand they add in playable orcs and Bull-men so I can fufill my Warcraft fantasies in their game.

Oh wait, no I won’t, because that would be stupid.

10 Likes

Ok but they are still the ones writing this drivel. They are the ones that made the “vengeance is bad” narrative, the unstable night warrior and all the little things that point towards the “Well garsh I guess we just can’t beat sylvanas and we can’t kill her either because we need her” conclusion.

If their intention was for this Tyrande story to be some sort of apology or rebalancing of scales then they failed miserably.

5 Likes

I didn’t say it was good. Frankly, if anyone’s still surprised by now, I’d wonder what game they were playing.

1 Like

:man_shrugging:
Yeah maybe but if the meta consensus among players becomes that this Tyrande arc is the BFA apology tour then I guess BFA was Blizzard apology for sidelining the Horde in Legion but making an expansion where the Horde is the primary focus.

Don’t some people say that already?

They’ve been asking for proper Alliance High Elves since Vanilla. So I find your complaint in this regard misplaced and your follow-up hypothetical complaints built atop that basic failing.

I don’t think Alliance High Elves are in the cards anymore since Void Elves exist now and have some High Elfy aesthetics, but the situation is akin to asking for salmon and being dissatisfied with eel.

Is that why your skin is such a lovely blue?

4 Likes