All character items removed\deleted!

One of my characters had ALL of her items, including armor, weapons, consumables, bags - literally everything in her inventory, including the bank and reagent bank, deleted. There is NOTHING! The account was not hacked, as I was switching characters when this happened (plus I have the token), also, she still has all her money.

I was selling items from the guild bank, switching in and out of my 12 characters to make new equipment, and Astraya is the ONLY character impacted - again, EVERYTHING is gone. I checked the “Item Restoration” site and nothing from her actual inventory is in there.

This happened around 2:00 PM CST 11/29/20. She’s the only level 60, and my main. Why would I either delete or sell her stuff? And again, if I would have… wouldn’t t be available in the Item Restoration option?

Finally… I did submit an in-game ticket… but the average wait time in 11 days 22 hours!!! UNACCEPTABLE!

The average wait time is an estimate based on the oldest ticket in queue, which is not necessarily the ticket at the front of the line. Most contacts are still averaging 3-4 days right now.

That said, what you’re experiencing is actually a fickle, rather uncommon display bug with no rhyme, reason, or motive that has teased and tormented Blizzard for a couple years now. Keep your ticket open and a game master will get back you in due course, but this issue usually works itself out within 24 hours.

If it does and your ticket hasn’t been responded to, please remember to close it.

3 Likes

We also saw a person in these forums get it to display correctly by trying to put a new bag in one of their empty-looking bag slots. That might work for you if you try it out.

2 Likes

Tried your suggestion on the empty bag slot… logged out of the game and back in and it just shows I have a new bag.

In response, to both you and Ekon… I don’t think it’s a display bug. Neither the WoW companion app nor the blizzard.com ‘toon selection’ shows this character with anything. Could still be wrong, but this is nuts.

Well, better to try than not. It definitely sounds weird!

The only other thing I remember from the forums is to try deleting then undeleting the character.

1 Like

Indeed, this may do the trick.

This is a pretty rare but known issue. The QA team has been trying to chase down exactly what causes it but cases are few and so a pattern hasn’t really been established.

Usually we’ve seen folks report back that things fix themselves after a few hours but like Jodariel said, sometimes deleting/undeleting the character works.

4 Likes

I did NOT like that feeling of hitting delete… but, you’re right… it worked. I will admit I waited a bit, just because I was so uneasy about it, but she is back to full health with all her stuff, including the bank.

That should not be a fix.

Thank you, none-the-less.

3 Likes

Glad that fixed it. I know it’s nerve-wracking to delete your character, but fortunately it doesn’t hurt anything.

While it did fix it… that shouldn’t be a fix. I understand the problem with tracking down bugs, but it’s hard for me to believe a team as large as Bliz, with their resources, can’t find this fix no matter how rare it is. It is a very unsettling feeling to tell someone to just try deleting their character to resolve an issue… and on top of that have such an extended response time to tickets. Create priority queues - yes, people will abuse them, but this is the equivalent of game-breaking.

I couldn’t work around it - it’s not like one thing was gone… it was everything. I hope you guys find an actual solution.

It’s a temporary workaround, more than an actual fix. As I mentioned, Blizzard has been plagued by this display bug for a couple years now, and because it’s so picky with its targets and unpredictable with its timing, it’s going to take a bit longer than one might expect to get completely ironed out.

Welcome back!

2 Likes

They already have these :wink: But when a new expansion drops and has a plethora of players returning and putting in tickets for everything under the moon, ticket times will still go up despite priorities.

Glad to hear that the workaround was successful!

2 Likes

I don’t think it’s really possible for anyone to understand the problem with tracking down bugs until they are in the thick of it. I hover on the outer edges by my work in support, so I get glimpses.

It’s not always about the size of the organization. Resources are still finite. You have people trained up on the complex interconnected systems that make up the monster that is this game. You really can’t just pull someone over from another team and say “What do you think could cause this”.

I can understand that may seem unsettling but we would not officially recommend something that could make the problem worse for you. Delete sounds so final, but we know that there is an in-game character restore system.

Yes, we have those. And yes, people do. But what players define as critical and a priority we may not agree on. That’s a larger philosophy topic though… Find me at a blizzcon when I have hours to ramble :smiley:

In this instance, there is a workaround and the problem is known to self resolve after a period of time. Could a Game Master come in and delete/undelete your character for you? Yes, but you were able to do that on your own and the Game Master team was able to assist someone else instead.

Same! I know how scary it is - a lot of the reports are people who think they have been hacked. And getting hacked is a much scarier prospect - is your email safe? Do you have to change all your passwords? It’s a relief to find out that it was only a hiccup and that everything is actually fine but I’d love this to stop happening so those scares stop as well.

But! I echo the sentiment shared by others - I’m glad it did work for you. And I’m sorry it was an issue at all.

8 Likes

In the time that this bug has been showing itself I’ve seen a maximum of seven threads on it. Out of millions of players. It is like looking for a specific needle in a needle factory.

There are thousands, possibly millions, of lines of code involved. The size of Blizzard’s team would not make this a smaller number. What resources they have would not resolve it faster. The rarer the bug the harder it is to find. A bug affecting so few players would be harder still.

1 Like

I absolutely assure you, Blizzard agrees that should not be a fix. The problem is, this bug is rare. And as of yet it has been resistant to the proverbial can of raid.

In the meantime glad the delute/restore worked for you as the only other option was to wait on your ticket. If I recall properly, when the ticket got answered a GM had to manually restore or mail the items back to the player. Cannot remember which.

1 Like