Algarian Stormrider Lightning Rush Literally Makes Zero Sense

So like I’ve been riding around on my Algarian Stormrider mount the last couple of weeks trying to figure out how to build up the static charges so I can use Lightning Rush. I finally figured it out.

You really have to ride against a wall to build up charges? This literally makes absolutely ZERO sense. When you’re flying, you’re out in the open world like all the time. Since when did we ever start flying up against a wall in this game?

Riding a dragon you already have the ability to boost up real fast. Why does it take soooo long just to build up stacks to be able to use them?

Blizz, this really was a bad decision. I really very much suggest you change this. I thought this mount was great but after learning this I hate it. It literally makes zero sense. Please change this.

4 Likes

It kind of does make sense that static builds up while flying alongside walls.

But im fairly sure i read somewhere in all the alpha stuff thar youll be able to choose between the surging whirl or the electric spell.

1 Like

The Dragonriding races specific to that mount teach you the mechanic VERY quickly.

It took you weeks to find the specific Dragonriding races or to read a small paragraph on the ability’s tooltip?

Yes.

How?

Except Zaralek Caverns and some zones in The War Within, the expansion in which the mount was designed for.

Zaralek Cavern is only the most recent example.

Until you run out of Vigor.

The Algarian Stormrider is not a dragon.

Then don’t use the mount. Also come The War Within, you’ll be able to choose between Whirling Surge or Lightning Rush.

Nothing needs to be changed.

Then don’t use it.

A spoon probably doesn’t make sense to you.

Again, no.

1 Like

It’s a mixed bag. I like that if you do pull it off that you’ve essentially got a free boost that doesn’t use your flying charges, I dislike the mechanism by which the charges accumulate (like you pointed out).

Yeah, it’s a crappy ability. I get that they made the races specifically for it, but I would prefer the ability just be disabled outside of them. Fortunately in TWW they will just have it be an option on the dynamic flight ability tree. Which is good. I would like to use that mount without it feeling like crap.

2 Likes

Yup! The dragon tree will have a two option node!

2 Likes

i paid for a mount with that special zoom

i should be able to use that special zoom whenever i want

1 Like

The crippling factor, and the reason I never use this mount, is that it doesn’t generate a static charge when flying near the ground. If the premise is the charge is generated when flying close to something, then the ground should qualify.

If it generated a ground effect charge it would be not only more useful but more fun. As it is, unless you’re flying through a valley, you’re out of luck.

2 Likes

maybe its intended to be more useful in the next expansion where there are corridors leading to the next zone

2 Likes

Imagine a world where this mount, or one of those Whelp race mounts, was what dragonflying actually was.

What a disaster. Promote the guy who made sure those terrible ideas stayed limited.

Yeah, this was exactly my thought too. But when I realized it didn’t count for that, I shrugged it off as an ability intended only for the special dragon races designed for just that mount. Which it seems a little odd to have an ability just for those, but it does make those races feel slightly different.

Glad it’s being changed to being able to select which you want. That was a good move.

2 Likes

i hope if we can choose, the normal ability removes the static charge effect

1 Like

The worst thing about the ability is how you can hardly turn yourself after using it. It downgrades the mount severely since it replaces whirling surge or w/e it is.

1 Like

I’m very surprised at how upset people are at this ability when whirling surge is generally terrible unless you go a very short distance and you don’t need to manage your energy at all. Anyone using whirling surge a lot probably hasn’t cleared gold in all dragon races, challenges included.

To me it’s an extra ability that just happens to be situational but doesn’t take away from dragon riding at all.

Edit: I also assume people upset about it don’t have an addon to see their flying speed because when you pull it off this new move is actually very good.

We might fly alongside lots of walls if we were underground, fighting a war within Azeroth if you will.

1 Like

For the Algarian Stormrider, Lightning Rush is horrible. Please give us the option to use Whirling Surge instead. Or just get rid of the Rush entirely. It is really lame in comparison. It’s enough to make me want to not use this mount at all now. :frowning:

Oh thank goodness! I really like this model and was so disappointed with the loss of whirrl.

That was what i was thinking considering its an underground expansion there are likely more walls and corridors to build charges on