ALERT! Census data now useless!

I’d receive at least two chat channel invites daily from gold spammers.

They simply wanted to break the census addons that people have been using for over a decade now. Suddenly now, why?

Occam’s razor. Put away your tinfoil hat. It has nothing to do with Blizzard wanting to hide player counts because they can’t accept Classic is doing better than retail, or to hide player counts that are discouraging players from realm transferring, etc.

Blizzard HATES gold sellers. People have been complaining about chat channel invites from gold sellers since week 1. When there isn’t anything in place to combat them (i.e. WoW tokens) they’re left with the alternative of breaking their advertisement automation.

2 Likes

We don’t know why exactly it was broken, but it definitely wasn’t to try to sabotage classic.

If it was even about hiding playerbase count (which I’m doubtful of that) the opposite would make a lot more sense. If it was publicly available that people are quickly quitting the game, a lot of people would bandwagon and also quit.

Escape -> Options -> Interface -> Chat -> Block Random Chat Invites

Occam’s Razor. It has entirely everything to do with Blizzard wanting to hide player counts and population info.

If blizzard hated gold sellers so much they would ban them more than once every year. They let them farm for 6-12 months, while sending hoards of gold off to their mule accounts while damaging the economy.

They don’t hate them enough to actively ban them, they wait and do it in waves under the guise of “gathering information” on how the bots work.

If you wanted to know, you’d just buy the bot for yourself and reverse engineer it and then break it that way.

1 Like

It was probably broken to keep people from layer jumping. Perhaps when they end layering, they’ll re-enable it?

1 Like

You still see the chat channel invite and advertised URL in the chat box, even if you have it blocked.

Stop spreading this misinformation. /who NEVER allowed you to determine what layer you were in, or who was in your layer. Blizz even stated this.

Another popular theory is that you can determine your current layer by doing a /who in a capital city, and comparing the results against the /who your friend does. That doesn’t work because /who returns results from the entire realm, not just from your layer, and if the result set is too large it truncates the results before sorting them. This means every player gets different results, but those differences in result set have nothing to do with which layer you’re on. This has led some people to claim that they’ve discovered dozens of layers per realm, but that claim is completely false .

1 Like

I doubt that’s true.

I’ve never had any problems.

https://www.google.com/search?q=wow+classic+chat+channel+invites+site:us.forums.blizzard.com&client=firefox-b-1-d&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjbvbPRueLkAhUDMawKHb93CJgQrQIoBDAAegQIABAM&biw=1216&bih=612

Look at all the reddit and WoW forum posts.

A worthless addon that doesn’t take result limiting into account somehow gets it wrong?!

Shocked pikachu face.

If you accepted the idea that they’re just trying to hide population counts (which is again, a bit of a stretch) why would they be doing it to sabotage classic rather than to make classic seem more popular than it really is to its players?

Now people can keep spamming their “Look all the servers have queues!!” threads even though they’ve slowly been reducing the scale of layering to keep with their phase 2 promise which in turn lowers realm pop cap.

1 Like

Blizzard does an awe inspiring amount of brainless stupid stuff. I don’t understand anything they do, and I don’t pretend to understand them.

1 Like

This sentence doesn’t make sense.

What are you talking about? The addon, when faced with a max limit result, performs the search again with more specific parameters.

If /who 35 returns fifty results, it will then do
/who 35 human
/who 35 night elf
/who 35 gnome

if THOSE are maxed out at 50, then it will do
/who 35 human warrior
/who 35 human paladin

etc.

Under no circumstances should the above level/class/race search output more than 50 results, not with realm population caps in place.

Weeeeeeeell it doesn’t matter now, does it? seeing as all the data is useless.

Then why bring up your flawed viewpoint in the first place if you’re just going to say “well it doesn’t matter anyways” when someone disproves it?

For personal use it was fine. I was resetting daily data for daily averages. Now I’m a sad panda

It was exactly accurate.

It showed who was online, how many, what race, what class. Do this multiple times over a week and you’ve got a rock solid piece of data.

But I’m sure you have no idea how statistics and data analytics work.

3 Likes

Man, this is a woosh. The person you responded to was implying that the census addon is a contributing factor to people not wanting to move.

You never had any problems? Just because you never had the issue happen to you doesn’t mean that this problem didn’t happen to other players.

I even took screenshots and I was going to make a thread about it. But it was my 1st time trying to post a link on the forums in over a year and I kept getting a forum message saying “can’t post links”. So I sent a support ticket with my screenshots directly to Blizzard instead.

Here’s my screenshot I made 2 or 3 weeks ago.
https://imgur.com/a/3bk7k61

And don’t just take my word for it. Here are other complaints on the forums.

3 Likes

Wonder why they broke it… Oh, I know, because they don’t want to play on a server with 700 people.