Alchemy or Leatherworking for Druid?

Since I’ve made this guy, he’s always been a LW/Skinner. I came to think I’d be using his LW to make much of his equipment.

However, as most know by endgame, crafted equipment never can compete with mythic KS/Raid/High end PVP gear. So most of his crafting is focused on making drums, which I only use if there’s no shaman, mage, or hunter with a fero pet in the group.

Drums are still useful, but I’ve wondering if I should just drop leatherworking (and skinning by connection) and go for Alchemy/Herbalism. It seems like the potions can be far more useful, but I still want to see what others would say.

True, with LW, I can make the base equipment for legendaries, but it takes a while to level them up to be comparable to the high level gear I mentioned before. And I can simply just buy them on AH.

So should I stick with LW or go for alchemy?

Alchemy is amazing in general, having longer pots is clutch.

Professions are pretty crap this expansion, really I can’t think of a reason to go anything other than alchemy+engineering (for the Oribos auctioneer).

2 Likes

That’s what I figured. Basically most crafts are only good for pre-mythic dungeon gear and getting pets and mounts you couldn’t buy on the AH anyway.

The only way they’d be competitive if Blizz worked a system that made them able to craft wearable gear that is comparable to the big end game gear. And beyond just “one legendary per gear set limit”.

I was thinking of switching, but I wanted peoples’ opinions first.

There is no point in having a gear crafting profession in the current iteration of WoW.
Once you start running heroic dungeons, or even getting your covenant set for just existing you will have no need for any crafted item in the game.

This is a terrible state, but it’s where they decided to take crafting to this expansion. Compare it to TBC and Wrath where you can make useful gear all expansion long and crafting actually mattered. In current retail you can make 46 of an item to finally craft your own good tier legendary? For a million plus in mats if it’s LW? NTY Ill pass…

Go with enchanting or alchemy if you want a useful crafting trade… that’s about it I think. Then the only thing in your way is the Auction house bots and automated AH mods that repost within a few seconds. Good luck Hero!

2 Likes

Agree, professions are crabs in sl. Alchemy would be the best bet as you will use a lot of as higher mythic plus or raids. They are valuable and decent to sell in ah.

Alchemy if Tauren (for Herbalism bonus)
Leatherworking if Worgen (for skinning bonus)

Otherwise, choose what you want, but alchemy probably is a more useful generalist profession.

1 Like

if you plan on raiding at all I’d go with alchemy. two hour flasks are real nice.

Crafting professions have been terrible for years now. They were so bad in BFA that I had high hopes for SL, but it’s back to alchemy being the only one worth anything.

I agree with everyone else. Alchemy if you want 2 hour flasks, engineering if you want an AH in Oribos.

Enchanting isn’t a complete loss because you always need to be updating enchants. You do get something useful for end game and it doesn’t cost an arm an a leg to level since we get a lot of garbage gear from WQ, table, callings, and M+.

Given the drums nerf, very few is willing to sacrifice 10% haste buff. #LONGLIVEMETA lmao. So, it’s not worth it. There are plenty of lego bases on AH. With 9.1, perhaps, new upgrades will follow. Can make some gold out of it I suppose.

Alchemy is good due to potions. 70 main stat will always be in demand. Looking at AH, they cost about 500-700g. But I had alchemy and the farm of herbs didn’t seem worth it to me, as I am not like a crazy gold maker or anything. It is easier for me to buy it.

So I just went engineering on all toons for brez and wormhole. Except for this druid cuz I was too lazy