AIGHT. im doing it. Tell me how to tank

Tank rotations are very easy. Tank’s challenges come in the form of pacing, group management, and mitigation, and I fail to see how normal dungeons with AI can offer any degree of training on any of those fronts. Normal dungeons are best pulled wall to wall, because they don’t impose enough mechanical challenge to force effective gameplay.

In the current game, Heroic Dungeons are the first time basic tanking principles are required.

I just press random buttons as DH, seems to work out. Maybe try that?

go to your local class cord, be wary of streamer “guides” or tank streamers in general. press your buttons and do your rotation. dont fall for “max pillow builds” theyre almost always less defensively sound

Unironically, those first three steps aren’t a terrible start depending on the trash.

If it’s all melee, staying just long enough to build threat and then running away while spamming blessed hammer, consecration with the slowing talent behind you and word of glory to heal yourself from stray hits from maybe a caster or two isn’t the worst thing in the world.

Pull the entire dungeon, all at once, make sure to break LoS to the healer… then blame the healer for the wipe.

2 Likes

What’s an orc warrior? Are those the zugzugs with the big axes? :blue_heart:

Whoever told you blood is the easiest they were trolling you lmao

Bear is the noob’s tank 100%

Blood is the pro’s tank. All the other tanks require knowledge for pushing high keys. Of course any tank (besides maybe brewmaster, and blood if you pickup big packs) works for low end content.

But if you’re new and plan to push keys or do heroic raid then bear is your best choice.

It’s a long learning curve. But it’s fun and everyone respects you if you know what you’re doing.

You’ll make a lotta friends too as a decent tank.

1 Like

Point frontals away from players.

Positioning of bosses. (See normal boss #2 in the new raid as a good reference as to the importance of positioning).

Know which mobs need an interrupt when gathering groups of mobs.

rotate your defensives.

Know what your defensives actually do! Is it just magic? Is it only physical?

Know tank buster mechanics.

Read taunt swap mechanics in raid before going to raid. Some bosses have a Tayshelach type of taunt swap.

1 Like

Isn’t this the meta right now?

1 Like

One thing you have to decide on is do you want active mitigation like a Prot Warrior (Pro-Active) or DK (Reactive) where you heal most of your damage back.

So my biggest piece of advice, and It’s what I wish I had when I started tanking:

Learn how to tank in Follower Dungeons. This is an absolute godsend of a tool. Do big pulls, practice cooldowns, practice aggro etc. Dump aggro (if NE) and react to party taking damage/swooping in to help.

Plan routes, be efficient etc!

It’s truly a great tool.

1 Like

Grab your Warrior, pick a mob, click “Charge”, turn the mobs around so they face away from the party, and then start pressing whatever button seems shiniest.

Same with the bosses. Charge, turn 'em, button button button. If they start casting something long, or something appears beneath your feet, move. You can also try interrupting the bosses, but you figure that all out organically.

Don’t worry about what route to take, the party will cheerfully and politely inform you if you’ve taken a wrong turn! :+1:

Have fun! Kick ***!

someone told you the exact opposite
you’re looking for guardian or prot pally as an easy tank to slide into

those are pretty much the stock tanks to learn how to get into tanking

1 Like

check your tanks ‘active mitigation’ e.g. sotr for paladins or shuffle for brew, whatever that is for your tank, keep it up as much as possible (details addon can show you uptime)
pop cooldowns proactively e.g. at the start of big pulls
make sure all the mobs are as close together as possible and attacking you

if you can do those things you’ll be set up for working on more complex things like route running and optimizing pulls…but honestly if you’re pugging there’ll be some variance in that anyways (e.g. pulls that require coordinated cc, or patrols etc can be a complete crap shoot in pugs)

My experience with tanks. Haul butt gather everything up till a boss. Aggro the boss. Yell at the healer it’s not doing it’s job and blame the dps for pulling things off of him and dying. Yell that everyone one that they are useless and leave the group.

1 Like

If you want to tank the biggest piece of advice I have to have is to shore up your IRL mitigation more than your in-game mitigation.

That is to say, be ready to get criticism from other players and online while you learn how to tank properly, and try to gain from it rather than take offense.

You’re gonna screw up and people are gonna die and that’s okay. Number one it’s just a game and number two is you learn from making mistakes.

Develop some tough skin IRL and you’ll eventually figure it out. No amount of written guidance is going to replace the on-the-job training.

Get your basic toolkit memorized and then just learn on the job as you go imo.

Please don’t haul butt lol, you take your pulls based on how the group kills. If i have some murderers with me, I pull a little more, if I have dps/healer on the weaker side, I grab less.

If its M0/M+ speed is based on how many cds you need for packs. Control the flow, don’t let anyone tell you how to do your job.

I think it’s a good lesson IMO. As others have stated, normal and heroic don’t pose any real threat or even the mechanics necessary to really “tank.” It’s just doing a really long instanced WQ.

M0 is where it starts.

If you try to pull big in those dungeons you’ll actually learn something. And probably wipe, but still.

Your job is to stand as still as possible and not die. Don’t try to get fancy until you’re doing those first 2 things well. There’s nothing worse than a tank that moves alot when they need to plant and press their buttons.

just run around