AIGHT. im doing it. Tell me how to tank

thank you for the advice i love you

3 Likes

Blood dk is the most fun tank. The easiest is Bear druid with macros that cast iron fur when you thrash, mangle, or moon fire.

/cast thrash
/cast ironfur
1 Like

Prot Pally and yes, Blood DK are almost always the best options. Boring to level, but crazy good tanks.

Icy Veins has a decent write up on tanking for newbies, so check that out before running any sort of group content. The biggest thing with tanking is knowledge. You need to educate yourself about every facet of every encounter you intend to tank. Dungeons are pretty simple to understand, but raids can get tricky with mechanics and it is vital that you understand all of it, even if it’s a mechanic which applies to DPS.

So, learn dungeons first and if you can, run with friends or people you trust that know you are new. You can do follower dungeons, but they won’t help you learn how to manage groups which is what you need with raids and mythics. Once you can run dungeons smoothly, take a shot on LFR (once you have studied the fights) and take the off tank (OT) role at first, being sure to let the main tank (MT) know you are new.

Once LFR is down, you should be good to go. Just be patient and in no time you’ll be a solid tank that people enjoy having in their groups.

Other perk to Druid tanking
 Flight Form. Never fall to your death again outside if you dismount, AND be a jerk like me who hovers over clickable items in the open world and never has to fight trash mobs :smiley:

It’s easy until you do high end content (Mythic+, Heroic or Mythic raids) and then the damage spikes start coming in and inexperienced healers get a heart attack :slight_smile:

I’ve been also playing a Prot warrior and the damage they take is alot less spikey then it was on my BDK.

2 Likes

salutes.

1 Like

#1 thing; don’t do that YPYT garbage. If someone pulls, just pick it up. If it’s causing problems for one reason or another, you’ve either got a bricked key or you’re in a 0 for some reason. No point in having a hissy fit over it, so just do what you can to recover from the added pressure and move on.

If they’re off in Narnia, though, you probably let them die so the mobs reset.

you made the first and most important step: wanting to tank. And the second most important: wanting to get input. If you’re making a new toon, level up through dungeons and you’ll get a relatively low-stress environment where you can play with some of the pointers the other’s here mention.

Hope you enjoy it!

Pull all the things, use your cooldowns, and then blame the healer if you die.

You’re the first person I’ve seen mention that artist in this game. I’m proud of you. :metal:t3:

2 Likes

Fast pace low rations.

But the serious part of this is that when trying to figure out what your limits are, it’s generally faster to go past them, then pull it back.

All I gotta say is there are two wonderful sound effects while tanking

1. Thunder Clap/Blast
  2. Exterminate
    didn’t mean to reply to you, sorry

You pull what you think you can tank, use your utilities properly and most importantly: CYCLE THROUGH YOUR DEFENSIVES. Don’t save them for a rainy day, use one when you are about to pull and get hit, then you start to feel like you are getting hit a bit too hard, use another, by the time the trash die, your first CD will probably be back, so that’s the basics of it.

For M+ you gotta do your homework to learn dungeon routes and stuff, it’s kinda boring, but it is what it is.

Raid tanking on the other hand is a hell of a lot easier, way less mechanics to deal with than DPS, just more awareness stuff, knowing when to taunt, when to use defensive, where to move boss, etc, just keep in mind, getting into a core raid team as a tank is uuh
 It’s borderline impossible. You either get lucky when they are forming a new raid team or you join a newer guild forming their first core.

Orc Warrior is the only way to tank.

Pull as much as possible without killing yourself or your group.

Tempo is the most important thing to the role as it currently is. Mitigation matters, but it’s honestly much better to overpull and die in order to learn your limits, than it is to play it incredibly safe and never die. Work your rotational mitigiation into the back of your mind, your primary role as a tank is macro-level stratagy, and the sooner you can relegate your rotation to your lower brain, the better, because it really doesn’t mean jack compared to making the correct pulls and maneuvers, and popping appropriate defensives to handle the incoming damage load. If you are never pressuring yourself in dungeons to the point where you need to use major defensives, that’s a good indication that you could be making larger or much larger pulls.

You are the group’s leader and primary playmaker. Part of that job is realizing that you yourself do very little damage (this may not be the case for some tank specs, bDK does mega dam rn, but the principles stand), but you also have total control over the party’s overall damage profile. Advanced tanking involves weaponizing your entire party, not just your own kit. If you pull big when your DPS have major cooldowns, they can do massive, massive amounts of damage, where if you pull small while they have majors, even the most skilled DPS players will have their potential extremely limited.

In raid, tanking is literally braindead.

1 Like

I feel that 99% of tanking is dealing with the other players depending on you to lead the pulls for them. Some are impatient, some can’t keep up etc.

I remember my guild master once telling me “we’re not a pug, you don’t have to ask before each trash pull if we’re ready”. it was in a 5man.

Dont read that wall of dumb, you dont need to sweat m20s, just go slow at first and see what you can handle, do some rotational work in the world on quest bosses and the like.

2 Likes

It’s always best to learn things the correct way the first time, rather than learning a subpar form initially, that needs to in turn be dismantled over time.

1 Like

Primacy can be a pain!

best way to practice if u are 80 is go follower dungeons until u get the hang of it

1 Like