Aggro as a Tank

It could just be me, however I recently jumped back into my warrior (one of my longest had characters) and am really finding generating and holding aggro a little tough as a tank.

Granted I was in a group with people plenty more geared than me, and they were attacking everything but my targets.

However I feel like the AoE aggro generation is a bit weak, jump into a group, hit them with a clap and wave, then a revenge and rinse and repeat. Even with the 20% damage skill on it feels like I can’t hold for crap.

My gear isn’t the best as well. Pretty much all Benthic gear with my shield and 3 or 4 other items at 400 ilvl.

Any tips or such to make sense of tanking on a Warrior. Used him to tank most of WotLK & Cata. Kinda moved away from him after that and took a good 2 xpac hiatus.

This is my main toon, my warrior is on KT as well named Dogtoy. Don’t know why my forums were set to my least played toon

Warrior is one of the strongest aoe aggro generating classes but with the scaling of tank damage being so poor this expansion it can happen. A lot of essences are doing so much burst on command damage it can be tricky to get that initial aggro on 4-5 mob pack.

When I came back from my break (March - October) I was very much outgeared by most of the playerbase. I spammed Avatar, Demo Shout, TClap on cooldown. For those hard hitting dps in my group I would Avatar, Charge and Taunt those single target mobs (boss) just to make sure I kept aggro. As you gear up you will notice a difference.

Remember to key bind a (intercept:targets target) to pull those adds off

If you are significantly outgeared, you will struggle to hold threat if you arent getting help from the dps.

If it’s a group, heroic leap in and tclap when you land. Avatar immediately and use it on cooldown. Should be able to alternate between clap and slam/revenge etc every gcd. If people are still snapping off you, you are either severely outgeared, or your dps is blowing everything without regard for threat.

Make sure you have name plates so you can easily monitor which adds you have threat on. Sometimes dps will get an inadvertent crit and pull. Be ready to taunt.

Threat will not be easy with players 15 ilvl or more above you . What you do is right clap , wave revenge , Avatar . At 428 I still have problems when certain classes are bursting , Dh meta , mage , just be ready with the taunt . It’s up to the other class to ease up a bit and switch target If possible or pop a cool down .

Remember to tab around targets from time to time especially during meme beme and the likes to see if an add is targeting a dps