After Waterstrider will Blizzard nerf all older mount functions?

If they would let the striders keep their functionality but ignore gear so I can actually choose what equipment to use rather than be locked in to the water walking equipment on most toons so that I don’t lose an ability I’ve had for years, I would love it if they would also add herbing equipment (without removing the function from the Sky Golem so, again, I gain options rather than losing them).

I’ve been wanting for years for Blizzard to add something, anything beside the Sky Golem and its recolor that actually lets you herb while mounted. Ugliness and noisiness aside, flying in the Sky Golem gives me motion sickness. That’s not an aesthetic complaint. The blasted thing makes me nauseous.

(And since I’ve heard it before, no, the solution is not “roll a druid”. I have a druid. She’s my main, and an engineer. Making her an herbalist would be stupid, and wouldn’t help the four herbalists I already have. Stirrups don’t fix the problem either. They’re expensive, and requiring me to use stirrups to get the functionality of a mount I already have is basically a motion sickness tax. I was so desperate for a permanent solution that I even bought the Nightmarish Hitching Post, but the transformation removes the Sky Golem’s herbing function.)

4 Likes

I very rarely see players on striders outside of Nazmir, or perhaps taking a shortcut across Tiregard Sound.

3 Likes

I’ve seen people complaining about how they’re “forced” to use the water striders. What I don’t actually see are a lot of water striders being used in game, unless people are actively crossing water.

1 Like

What game have you been playing because clearly it hasn’t been this one…

2 Likes

Because of the dominance of Water Strider, they are removing its ability to walk on water according to T&E. However as Blizzard clarified, if you have the mount equipment system unlocked, you can use the equipment on level 20 characters.

T&E announced that if you have a Water Strider on 8.2’s launch, you will get a free [Inflatable Mount Shoots] item which lets all your mounts walk on water. In addition, if you head to the vendor where you bought a Water Strider, you’ll be able to buy more of this item for a greatly reduced price as an advantage for those who already have the Water Strider.

In short, Water Striders won’t be able to walk on water any more. If you want that functionality, you can use an item on each character to allow all mounts to walk on water. If you already have the water strider, you’ll get one free item and can buy more at a discount. The item is BoA and can be sent to alts.

There will be other mount equipment things that provide other functionality (like a parachute so you can jump off high places without taking fall damage) but you can only use one at a time and it’s destroyed when replaced, like gems.

1 Like

this makes me assume there is someone they didn’t lay off, with worse OCD than mine, who really really really really wants the toothpaste put back in the tube

1 Like

It’s not “overboard” at all to see this as yet another step toward removing even more features, conveniences, and content from the game. This expansion we get “equipment”, next expansion it is removed and replaced with nothing.

Where did my Findle’s Loot-A-Rang go? It was nerfed into uselessness after I paid much gold to buy it on 40 characters.

7 Likes

Thanks a lot! :smiley:

A few clarifications…

1. Water striders are not getting nerfed. If you have one, you will be mailed the waterwalking item the day the system goes live. Equip it and your strider can still water walk just like today. In addition, so can your moose, horse, wolf, or hippo mounts.

2. No mount special abilities are being taken away unless they are being converted to the new equipment. In that case all your mounts will be able to use that ability.

3. No mounts currently in the game will lose any functionality compared to what they have now.

This is not a nerf. It is a net gain for everyone.

Haha, good point. What’s that? Too many people using the transmog yak? Guess that means the mounts will…ugh…mysteriously disappear. Oopsie daisy!

Don’t think it won’t happen.

2 Likes

Im seeing too many people used Sky Golem, Yak, and Brutosaur right now.

I hope Blizz addressed this soon.

Water striders are indeed getting nerfed. Yes, we could turn around and upgrade them after the nerf. But it’s still a nerf.

Who in their right mind would use that to upgrade their poor pathetic water strider that would probably be rejected by its own people for being a sinker when they could use it to make their spider mount walk on water as God intended?

Oh, yeah. You. You don’t have a spider mount.

2 Likes

Pretty much this. These two were legit the only mounts I ever saw out in the wild. That and Druids.

1 Like

How so?

It’s a shame when bad things happen to good sentences. I think you fouled this one off. Care to take another swing at being coherent?

I hate spiders!

It makes perfect sense. The first thing I thought of when they listed off the equipment was I would equip the no daze piece to my water strider and have both. Then they said water striders were getting nerfed and I knew exactly why.

It’s just common sense imo.

Sure, just pee all over the fact that millions of people spent weeks farming the rep to even buy the water strider to only have it become useless because of another concept item that also has to be purchased to restore its initial functionality.

5 Likes

They’re removing waterwalking from waterstriders and giving us a piece of “equipment” we can use to upgrade some mount. That’s nothing whatever like the waterstrider not being nerfed.

I’m sorry if you don’t understand English, or if you can’t take the time to read. Not my problem to spoonfeed you.

Why am I not surprised that you hate spiders? I suspect you’ll be seeing more than a few of them walking on water as God intended.

1 Like

I know it’s only 'RocknRoll" but I like it …
like the philosopher Jagger once said, “You can’t always get what you want.”

The water walking equipment is still sold by that same Anglers vendor. We don’t have any word yet that it’s rep requirement was also removed, other than having the mount in your collection drasticially decreases the price of buying future pieces. Maybe complain AFTER we get any indication your scenario might happen?

The rep farm doesn’t take “weeks” either. There’s plenty of quests for it, and then the double rep gain from Revered onwards. Not to mention you could essentially get it within a single day during MoP Timewalking week via rep tokens you buy via badges.