Affixes are Unnecessary now

Literally. The original purpose of the affixes was to keep the dungeons feeling fresh each week.

But now there’s over 40 Mythic+ compatible dungeons in the game.

We could just use that entire pool of dungeons and have a different set of 6-8 dungeons each week and you’d achieve the same goal as affixes but with none of the headache.

It’s an outdated design that is meant to solve a problem we don’t have to have anymore. Cut the fat.

2 Likes

They took the M+ idea from Reaper of Souls D3 at the time, for Legion.

I’m shocked they think 8 years later, the system is still just fine as is, and doesn’t need any adjustments.

Honestly, I wish they would try a similar Diablo approach where affixes could appear, and they would be pack by pack. Maybe this trash pack has sanguine, and the next has volcanic, and so on.

THAT would be keeping things fresh

1 Like

Yeah as bad as some are I’m not trading them for this tuning nightmare scenario you’ve created

4 Likes

Dungeons rotating on a weekly basis would provide variety but it would introduce other problems:

• BIS trinkets only available for one week at a time

• Players joining keys without looking over dungeon mechanics

• Blizzard would likely never do dungeon tuning because they wouldn’t accumulate enough data

• This would be completely incompatible with the current IO system

Is this actually true though…?
Surely the original purpose was added difficulty beyond extra health and damage.

Hard disagree.

That doesn’t sound very fun. So much RNG. You could get pack after pack with the worst possible combos while another group gets pack after pack of the easiest.

At the top end you’d have people completing keys way above their skill level because they got entangled and volcanic where another group couldn’t time it because they got bolstering and afflicted or something

Can be resolved by abstracting the looted items not from the dungeons themselves but from a mythic specific loot pool.

Assuming you get rid of the current concept of affixes.

I think you can resolve both of these with rotational pools.

Where you don’t change the whole pool at once and you don’t necessarily change it on a weekly basis though you could.

Conceivably you could have two pools of instances: current expansion and past expansions. Have 4 from each pool active each week. The pool for past expansions is obviously larger and as we get more and more that will mean half the instances will potentially have higher variance in player knowledge (the past expansion).

You could rotate them at different frequencies or the same.

For example every week the oldest on a rotation drops and a new one slots in. So you get 4 weeks of any given dungeon to learn it and progress it.

Indeed.

Every possible affix showing up every single dungeon. That would be entertaining.

I would like tyrannical and fortified to be put on both weeks (or both removed, same effect at a different level) and stop splitting the score between weeks.

1 Like

Affixes are necessary because the dungeons by themselves are crazy easy.

With indefinite scaling mechanics become more important. Affixes though are not consistent in added complexity or difficult and punish specific roles. Mant dont find the current iteration fun but do it for the gear anyways.

I agree with you we don’t need affixes.

But a different set of dungeons every week would be torture for the pug scene.

I could see where they did 12 dungeons and there’s a two week rotation of 6 each.

That’s about it though.

Also vault. We already have about 3000 gear pieces from vault, imagine making that 25000 and hoping you ever get the trinket you want.

And now it’s come full circle. We want to zoom zoom says the M+ crowd. Everything else that prevents us from speed running like it’s a greater rift is bad.

Ugh.

Timers do this. Leaderboards do this. Good gameplay does not the zoom zoom make imo in an mmorpg crowd that craves hyper efficiency.

Still I say leave it as is for the challenge mode pushers that like the higher end keys.

Or just leave them and make them fresh but changing them or adding a better pool. i actually enjoy everything but sanguine and bursting. its not just that they keep the dungeon pool fresh but they change up how you approach it too. they need more that dont destroy you but push you to tackle each dungeon in a unique way to increase variable routes… as it stands most you do the same route no matter what.

be nice to see maybe some replaced by a seasonal again that makes the dungeon itself fresh so every time the dungeon comes up on rotation its not the same.

for example - im excited for the bfa dungeons in tww not having things like necrotic, its going to feel fresh even if its just an expansion removed.

1 Like

Honestly the majority of WoW’s playerbase is just averse to personal failure. MMOs are a power fantasy genre for the most part and being shown you’re bad at something without offering an appropriate scapegoat (Often another player) is something a lot of people don’t jive with so then we see this push for avenues of difficulty to be removed.

It’s not a bad thing necessarily that the playerbase is like this, 99% of this game is very very easy.

2 Likes

The “M+ Crowd” is not advocating for this.

This.

Many people see any form of failure as something worse than it is. Its ok to lose, and try again.

2 Likes

I have been thinking about trinkets. We already have a system that is well received with the Catalyst to switch any item from five slots to set pieces. I was thinking about what it would be like to either:

• Have a catalyst like system where you insert a trinket and it can make it into any trinket available in an M+ dungeon you’ve completed that week.

• Have a currency drop in place of trinkets in M+. Meaning if you would get loot, and it would of been a trinket, you instead get a currency. You take this to a vendor and it works exactly like the curios do from Fyrrak.