Addons can no longer use /who functionality

well that explains why I couldn’t use /who earlier. I had census enabled and it kept trying to queue the person I was looking for, but just looped forever.

1 Like

You mean things people can simply go and toggle a check box already built in to the WoW UI to stop? RADICAL, thanks for fixing a non-issue!

2 Likes

Yep, there re addons that do /who and automatically pst and guild invite guildless people.

Like I have any intention of joining a lazy, non-social guild that relies on an addon for recruitment. yes I turned it off in settings… but I still get the chat spam.

Also they prob want people to stop pointing out realm population imbalances, we can all just pretend its not happening!

4 Likes

they don’t want you to see the faction imbalances

Quite a few tinfoil hats in this thread.

Seems people missed that part.

3 Likes

It does affect them. If I’m searching for a group, I have to use the exact terminology that classiclfg uses or they won’t see my post.

I can’t say

“Need one more person, probably a tank, have enough dps for deadmines”

When did ClassicLFG come into this conversation? I don’t think it uses /who. When I tried it, it was just parsing chat. I may have to reinstall the darn thing on Herod because the chat scrolls so fast.

3 Likes

ClassicLFG has 113K total downloads on Curseforge. 113K players spread across how many realms and regions? You’re overstating the addon’s usage and your need to reach the fraction of this addon’s users who are online at different times in your realm.

Yeah, that’s because blizz said they’d ban it. What if it had 5 million downloads? Or 50% of the population used it?

Didn’t miss it, don’t see the relevance. Instead of “tinfoil hatting” like so many, I downloaded ClassicLFG and searched through the source code. It calls SendWho in order to get the information on a person when a WHISPER is received. It’s not a hugely critical piece of functionality for the AddOn, so I’m guessing that it’s not due to this specific addon. But again, this is all speculation that could be easily resolved by Blizzard actually providing patch notes associated with this “hotfix”

No addon, even the addons with 50M downloads, has captured 50% of the player base. It’s a fantastical hypothesis.

You don’t see the relevance of “in an upcoming patch (in the weeks following launch), we will be adding restrictions to the Classic add-on API that will significantly limit this add-on and others like it”? :thinking:

1 Like

50% of the player base wasn’t doing late game dungeons at the same time.

Yeah, because as I explained, this function that was restricted doesn’t critically impair the functionality of the AddOn. I am starting at the source code, I write code for a living, but yes keep telling me how it’s relevant.

1 Like

What you find significant and what Blizzard finds significant can be two different things.

I can’t help but speculate that the /who call was broken to combat layer hopping.

2 Likes

It’s pretty clear that blizzard isn’t trying to impair ClassicLFG with this.

4 Likes

They’re trying to impair functionality that’s “incompatible with our social design.”

1 Like

/who isn’t incompatible. We had it in vanilla… with CensusPlus IIRC.

I think this still has to do with layering.

4 Likes