Addon for casting ground-targeted spells

There’s been a few threads lately about casting ground-targeted spells. Some ask if it’s possible to press a key down to summon a targeting reticle, and release the key to cast.

I’ve put together a small addon to do this if any are interested:
https://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/info25878-Grounded.html

It’s been submitted to curse but not approved yet. And yes the name Grounded is awful sorry! Naming stuff is one of the most difficult parts of programming.

6 Likes

Thanks for putting this together, this will be incredibly useful for many people and I look forward to using it on my alts (already built it for Hunter).

Quick request: can you add (optional) [@player] casting to this as well?

In my personal variant of this, the OnKeyDown macrotext looks like this:

/use [mod:alt,@player][]SpellName

With the OnKeyUp macrotext like this:

/cancelqueuedspell\n/use [@cursor]SpellName

I have this overriding the keybind that I have set on my regular actionbar, where I have this macro:

/use [mod:alt,@player][@cursor]SpellName

If I don’t include the [@player] portion in the addon-generated macrotext, SpellName doesn’t fire @player until OnKeyUp, while with the [@player] in the macrotext, it fires OnKeyDown.

I can consider options to edit the down and up macros; though I’m a little concerned at exploit-y possibilities this would create.

A safer possibility is radio buttons to choose a modifier for @player, with “none” as an option. We’ll see.

If anyone prefers curse, it’s approved there finally:
https://www.curseforge.com/wow/addons/grounded

1 Like

Yeah that’s basically what I was thinking.

Do you use the same modifier for all of these ground-targeted binds? I’m deciding whether to make it a global setting (a new options frame), or a per-bind setting (added to bind frame).

I use alt for @player across all ground target spells (and generally across all classes, for other kinds of abilities like heals or cleanses).

This is sometimes in conjunction with other modifiers - e.g. I have Tar Trap @cursor on Ctrl+PgUp, so Tar Trap @player is Ctrl+Alt+PgUp.