Adding WoW Raid Experience to Job Resume

Do you think adding my raid experience to my job resume would add enough personality to increase my chances of getting hired? Or would it be a total embarrassment?

2 Likes

Well you can’t say that you’re a WoW raid leader, that’s just silly.

However, you can probably say something like “Guided 20 people through team-based problem solving exercises, six hours per week for two years” which looks a little better.

15 Likes

You should add professional troll/spammer to your long list of qualifications, outcome of embarassment will be the same

6 Likes

This is one of those situations where you’d really, really want to know your audience. The right person – i.e., another raid leader – would know what it meant and why it might be relevant. Anyone else would see zero value in it and likely think less of you for including it. Personally I wouldn’t do it unless it’s a hail mary on a resume that was likely underpowered to start with anyway.

3 Likes

“8/8M, I’m basically ready to be CEO thx.”

3 Likes

Team skill, conflict resolution, dedication, and loyalty all good things to have in most businesses, Blizz could use a lot of these traits atm.

" thrives under pressure"

2/10 troll post but I’ll go with it.

When I was trying to get an internship to be a software engineer a couple summers ago I remember that the interviewer asked me some of the experience I had programming, and I was nervous af so I talked about how I wrote a small addon for myself in WoW using LUA then I got really cringey and talked about making macros in the game to do things lmao.

I mean, I wouldn’t write it on your resume but you could use it in the non-technical interview.

1 Like

“Works well in group settings.”

“Punctual, understands the importance and significance of time tables.”

“Situational Awareness. Ability to quickly adapt to dynamic situations and shifting goals.”

“Fast thinker, cool-headed. Will not stand in fire.”

“Can type over 60 WPM.”

“Follows orders, understands the importance of their role in the group, does not attempt to overstep their boundaries, but willing to pick up the slack for under-performing members to achieve team goals.”

“Will murder opposing factions to win.”

6 Likes

In 1990s, a top corporation in Japan actually did their job interview with a turn-based strategic game called “The Romance of the Three Kingdoms.” They had their job applicants play the game for 1 day and hired based on the players’ performance.

1 Like

why are you on such a trolling roll tonight?

2 Likes

One of the guys I interviewed a while back did. It was impressive with his Mythic progression and we did hire him but not because of that. Honestly we see it more than you’d expect. Maybe 2 per month?

We also do checks and ask for their character names / references. I pinged this guy in game at one point to verify he was who he says he is. My company also has a mid sized WoW group that I dont play with. It’s nice it’s their, but I like my own friends.

Depending on what you’re applying for and who’s interviewing you raid leader experience might be good on a CV. Hard to know for sure though.

Depends on the job you’re applying for and what the interests of the employer/hiring agent are.

If you lead a fairly well-known/competitive guild, are part of one, or just accomplish a lot in the game, it might jive well with the hirer. I personally know a person that works as a systems administrator that included it on his resume because he knew the hiring agent played WoW, so it created fidelity that led to a more friendly interview (and eventually a job offering).

For the most part, though - not a good idea. It’s an entirely situational thing. You should be tailoring your resumes for the job position, though.

I’m assuming they’re trying to get through as much material as possible before the incoming banhammer.

1 Like

If this wasn’t WoW GD, I’d automatically assume this was humor/trolling

Please tell me this is humor/trolling, lol :no_mouth:

If you literally specified WoW and I was an employer I would literally hire somebody else just because you are stupid enough to think that playing a video game would get you hired, even with my knowledge of WoW and what goes into leading a raid.

That said, if you worded it like Gaahr said to I would be a lot more optimistic.

Amelia,

if you are applying for a job in an IT place, you should study a course in IT to become familiar with the tech industry, and add those specific skills to your resume.

For instance, if you are going into something that requires programming, and you did a programming course, you should put that on your resume. I did a course in C#, and although I consider it a soft skill it’s in my resume.

What you are talking about is simply ‘gaming’ which I put in the hobbies section of my resumes.

The REAL question is

Do you even apply for jobs that don’t require AOTC?

If you do, sounds like a waste of time imo

“Im not some filthy casual truck driver/police officer/office worker/kindergarten teacher! Getgud employers kthxbai.”

that’s a big yikes.