Add Ons in Proper Folder Not Loading

The addon I’ve previously loaded through Curse are no longer loading. CurseForge has verified that they are properly placed in the correct folder, and I’ve followed the instructions in the blue Troubleshooting and FAQ post and they haven’t helped. It basically appears that the WoW program isn’t reading the Add Ons folder at all–no button appears, none load, and none are accessible.

Has anybody else had this problem? I have no clue where to start with a solution.

2 Likes

Curseforge only installs addons in the directory you told it to when you installed Curseforge.
If you don’t have the button on the load screen it usually means the addons are in the wrong place. If you have an interface folder in the same directory as World of Warcraft Launcher.exe it won’t see those addons.
Assuming retail the proper path is from the folder with the launcher is _retail_\Interface\Addons then your addons should each be in their own folders within the addons folder.

2 Likes

I am having this same problem… the button is not there at all. I have set up a ticket… waiting for a response.

2 Likes

Let me clarify–I’ve worked with CurseForge on this quite a bit and confirmed that all of the addon folders are in the proper folder (retail\Interface\Addons). That’s how I know it isn’t a CurseForge problem.

@talzi: good luck. The ticket response is going to be to come to these forums and find an answer … But also submit it as a bug report. You won’t get a response, but it lets Blizzard know that this is a Blizzard problem, not someone else’s.

1 Like

Sounds like you might have 2 installations of WoW and are loading the one that doesn’t have the addons. Click the gear next to the WoW Play button > Show in Explorer, and verify that that’s the version CF is adding stuff to.

1 Like

Just in case it’s not forum formatting, the folder is _retail_\Interface\Addons (with an underscore at both ends of retail).

Another test option is to run WoW.Exe that should be in your [WoW]\_retail_ folder and login to see if the Addons button is available.

Alright, I may have the solution for this, bear with me while I try to explain it. I had the same issue, where I know I had the mods in the correct folder, but the button wasn’t showing up. Here’s how I fixed it:

1. put the zipfile in the addons folder. (ex: handynotesv4.zip)
  2. unzip the folder and extract contents in to the addon folder. (ex: handynotes.v4)
  3. open the folder that was extracted. There will be another folder inside of it. (ex: Handynotes)
  4. move that folder out of the extracted folder and paste it in the addons folder

It looks like when downloading a curseforge mod, the actual add-on is in a folder… in another folder, and causing the game to not read them? Or at least that’s what I assumed. As soon as I moved the mods out, the button appeared again and they were working. I hope this helps!

2 Likes

Not if you’re using the client. Though I’d recommend WoWUp’s instead (open source).

1 Like

This will be the same for all addons from all sites you manually download/install.

1 Like

I’m having this problem right now. It happened with Tuesday’s maintenance/update. Only 2 of my addon minimap buttons are left and the other addon buttons are gone and the addons aren’t working. I let Curseforge install, things are in the correct folder, I don’t have 2 copies of the game and they were working fine before Tuesday.

1 Like

Sounds like you clicked the “Disable Addons” button on the character screen when prompted after the patch. Always select Load Out of Date Addons when you see that or you’ll run into this situation.

To fix it, click the Addons button in the bottom left corner of the login screen and re-enable your addons.

This worked for me! I was losing my mind trying to figure out why all my addons were working but one. Extracting the zipfile in the addons folder did the trick. On a mac, I usually manually download the files, unzip, then move to addons folder.

Thanks a million.

I just created my first Addon. Or at least I’m trying to. I followed the instructions in Wowpedia and went to:

C:Program Files (x86)\ World of Warcraft\ retail \Interface\Addons
Note: I had to add the retail level. I left the hyphens around “retail” out because it wouldn’t print on this page

and created
MyAddon.lua
MyAddon.toc

I read above that you don’t put the files in the actual Addon directory but one layer lower so I created a GmAddon folder and dropped the .lua and .toc files there.

My .lua file is:
print(“My first addon.”)

My .toc file is as follows.
“## Interface: 100207”
“## Version: 10.2.7.54847”
“## Title: MyAddon”
“## Notes: My first addon”
“## Author: George”

Without the quotes. I put the quotes there to stop forum editing in this post.

Anyway no addon button.

Where is that button anyway? I looked in
the battle net page
The screen where Alexstrazsa flies in and lands on her tower
The character selection screen
And the page when were you are in world

Your .toc has to tell the game which code files to load and the .toc file has to be the same name as the folder it’s under.

## Interface: 100207
## Version: 10.2.7.54847
## Title: MyAddon
## Notes: My first addon
## Author: George

MyAddon.lua

Having no AddOns button means you don’t have any valid (working) addons installed.

Your folder/file structure would be:

C:Program Files (x86)\World of Warcraft\_retail_\Interface\Addons\MyAddon
C:Program Files (x86)\World of Warcraft\_retail_\Interface\Addons\MyAddon\MyAddon.toc
C:Program Files (x86)\World of Warcraft\_retail_\Interface\Addons\MyAddon\MyAddon.lua

This would indicate you are installing into the wrong game folder.

• Start the launcher
  • select the retail game
  • click the cogwheel beside the Play button
  • select Show in Explorer

This wil show you where the game files including addons are loading from.

I changed MyAddon to MyAddon.lua but I’m not seeing an addon button yet.

I looked at the cogwheel and it appears I’ve got the right directory, the retail directory.

Where does the addon button appear? Which screen? Battlenet, Alexstrazsa, charcter selection or in game?

The screen where you select which character to log into.

Your .lua file can be called anything, it’s just the .toc file that has to have the same name as the folder it’s in.

And the .lua file in your .toc has to be correctly named.

You can copy/paste or create some code in the website addon.bool.no and it will create a downloadable zip with a basic valid .toc and .lua file containing the code.

If you’re going to create addons I suggest you install:

https://www.curseforge.com/wow/addons/bug-grabber
and:
https://www.curseforge.com/wow/addons/bugsack

to help with debugging.

Ok progress, I’ve got the addon button.

Now the .toc files names my .lua file and my .lua file contains:

print(“My first addon.”)

But I’m not seeing that anywhere, even when I select a character and enter the game.

Should show up in your chat box.

1 Like

It will depend on what else is in you chatbox from loading addons.

Because your print() is at the very start of your addon it will be executed just as your addon is loaded (it may not be at the bottom of your chat list). The game will then load any other addons that in it’s internal list that are “after yours” in the load sequence executing their startup code including anything they send to chat eg. print statements etc.

You might have to scroll your inital chat and “hunt” for your statement.