“Actual Rares” in Mechagon

Mechagon Island - Official Blizzard Zone Preview

Actual rares with long spawn times are making a return in Mechagon, which gives even more of an incentive to grind.

As opposed to rares like in the Warfronts.

Thoughts? On one hand it means that you can try downing the same rare multiple times a day on one character (if it works the same as MoP & WoD). On the other it means actually having to stand around waiting for it to spawn if you want a chance.

1 Like

I like that the rares also don’t show up on the map. Or so I’ve heard… the idea is great, rares should feel rare. They shouldn’t just be a check mark on the chore list but something you can come across while traversing mechagon.

I just hate their design philosophy for mechagon is to ‘‘grind’’. I don’t think actual rares with long spawn timers give more of an incentive to grind lol, but that’s just me.

2 Likes

Timeless Isle was a “grind,” too, but it felt way different than, say, Argus, because everything felt organic instead of “here’s your fifteen WQs for this Argus island, enjoy!” like Argus had. Sure, not every rare on Argus was always up, which was at least better because you didn’t just ride out and kill the exact same mobs every single cycle like the warfront ones, but if the emperor wanted me to kill 20 rare mobs or something, I never knew which it would be. I could go to any part of the island and look for trouble.
Or I could go grind coins from frogs, or from the yaungol. Or from the spirits. I could hunt for chests, do jumping puzzles, or fight the raid boss in the center. I could go fishing, or thump some turtle shells. It was a grind to get coins or gear tokens or anything else, a lot of camping to try for the mounts, a lot of time invested. But it was fun and self-directed. Not every rare has to have a long spawn timer, but it’s far more engaging to hear that a rare everyone always wants to down for a mount chance is up instead of just flying over that part of Darkshore where the bear spawns to see if it pops up on my map (meaning I haven’t killed it this cycle). Rares that are not just named mobs with a fresh coat of paint are a great start. A completely optional “grind” in a sandbox with stuff to do is a great continuation.

Makes me wish I was playing during MoP… I also love that aesthetic. But makes sense with the points you made. I really dislike the way they’ve turned things into ‘‘chore’’ lists so having things randomly pop up, and not just check map, do closest thing and done for the day seems to be the right direction.

They are definitely trying to fix somethings with this upcoming patch in my eyes and I appreciate their effort (finally).

I think they’ve had a lot of self-realizations on the part of their current design philosophy to notice the pitfalls they’ve created to want to finally do something about it.

Kudos Blizz.

1 Like

more like certain rares like in timeless isle.

Ohhhhhhh Gawd…

Is there going to be another Tanann Jungle like daily quest where you have to go kill 10 spawn camped rares on 30 minute timers?

Did they make another Tanann? I did that grind for flight this expansion with a 120 character, seriously one of the worst experiences WoW has to offer.

When you think they couldn’t get any more tone def and just plod along on some 4 year old road map they can’t deviate from due to bureaucratic gridlock.

I’m seriously beginning to suspect they’ve managed to take the worst aspects from WoD and Legion’s x.2’s and combined them.

I like that they’re doing a mix.

rares should be rare. It’s in the name

1 Like