Activision vs. CA UPDATE Employees Planning Walk Out

Because allegations are not facts.

Let me give you an example. As an NCO in the Army in the 70’s there were many sexual harrassement allegations against NCO’s and Officers. It was so bad that I had to leave my door open and usually have a female NCO with me in the office whenever I’d talk to a female soldier.

Now many of the allegations proved to be true and action was take against the guilty parties. However, I even had one allegation placed against me when I disicplined a female soldier. Fortunately I had a witness (A Female NCO) and the allegation went nowwhere. In fact the solider involved was separated from service.

So I have personal experience with the issue of assuming guilt based on an allegation or allegations and why I’m am very hesitant to pass judgement without having all of the facts.

3 Likes

There is a 30 page legal filing with some pretty specific allegations btw. Its beyond disingenuous for yall to keep acting like this all originated from a twitter post…

2 Likes

I wish I had as much faith in the court system as you do.

Aaaaand there it is.

I don’t think anyone is saying that, just that allegations are not facts and judging a company guilty based on them is a step too far, at least for me.

4 Likes

Here is what, a reason to want facts rather than allegations? Guilty, anyone can make an allegation, true or not.

2 Likes

Great argument Bearhands. Let me paraphrase it for the audience:

“Nu uh. ur a woman hater”

Real big brain take to add to the greatest hits you’ve displayed in this thread lol

3 Likes

It isn’t perfect, but it is probably the best in the world right now.

Unfortunately being moderate is the equivalent of “against us”.

How dare you wait instead of hate.

1 Like

USMA had a “no shared horizontal surfaces” rule to further insulate cadets and officers alike from even the HINT of impropriety. That meant if I was sitting on a couch, no female cadet or officer could share the couch with me. Same went for benches, beds, countertops, etc.

Hyper awareness of these sorts of things just absolutely undermined cohesion in the ranks. Making any kind of snide/joking remark about the rule was enough for the EO Officer to launch an investigation into why you want to create an unsafe environment. I won’t say the presumption of innocence was gone, but the way investigations often went about doing their business certainly didn’t make anyone feel like they weren’t already pre-judged.

“Believe or you’re an evil person!!!”

I’ll take false dichotomies for 1000, Alex!

2 Likes

Guilty again :wink: I’m old enough that I’ve learned that a rush to judgement can often prove embarrssing. I’d rather withhold judgement until all of the facts come out.

1 Like

Oh for pete’s sake.

Talk about blowing things out of proportion.

There is using discretion… and there is deliberately trying to downplay an allegation because you have a predetermined perspective based on your history of being accused of harassment yourself…

The more you read, the worse it looks for Blizzard. They flat out name Afrasiabi and Brack, in addition to alluding to a “former CTO.” AND Blizzard retained TWO seperate firms to analyze compensation data… but failed to act on any of their findings. In addition to just dozens of pretty specific complains and stuff like this…

Defendends own internal investigation into their human resources unit noted there was “a big lack of trust” and that “HR are not held in high regard.” Multiple employees also noted that their complaints were not kept confidential.

No objective person can really look at this and conclude theres just nothing there…

I called your comment toxic. All you did was act like I would be mean to my wife if she came home claiming sexual abuse. Then wished me luck with the divorce. Just because I differ in opinon.

You are part of what makes these discussions look bad. You attacking people like that is what blows things out of proportion. Get over the fact not everyone agrees with you. Just like I do.

3 Likes

A truly objective person would wait until the matter has been litigated/resolved unless you are on the jury and have been presented with the facts for both sides.

A more neutral approach, the one I try to take, is that if Blizzard (and not just a few rogue individuals) is all or partly to blame. Then they should be punished and the punishment should be oriented toward compensating the affected individual(s) and correcting the behavior.

There is nothing wrong with hoping the truth will out.

Blizzard being willing to internally investigate is actually a point in their favor. Now what they do with that information will be interesting.

A company I worked for for 20 years (and has one of the highest retention rates in the industry) does quarterly surveys. The results are not always favorable, but they do try and take action based on the results.

I don’t work for Blizzard so I have no inside knowledge of how they use their surveys. Obvisously they do, like any company, want to keep their best employees and you don’t do that by creating a toxic culture.

P.S. Being willing to wait until the results are in (the truth has been determined) isn’t downplaying anything. After all, none of us is on the jury or even participated in the investigation. Pre-judging, rather than simply discussing what we know, and don’t know, about something like this what I feel is wrong.

3 Likes

That’s not how thinking works. You don’t have to wait until someone else tells you what they think before evaluating for yourself. Nor does lacking every last piece of data preclude you from reaching a relatively informed conclusion.

1 Like

You were the one who trotted out “cancel culture” and “woke” right from the start. You made comments about how it “smells of cancel culture” and seems to be “blown out of proportion.” A woman was grabbed and groped in front of other employees, and these other employees had to pull Afrasiabi off.

Would you feel this was “blown out of proportion” if that happened to your wife?? <— the point of my comment

YOU have already come to your own conclusions. You don’t get to tell me I can’t.

2 Likes

Its not a point in their favor because they didn’t act on it… At all. You only get points if you took steps to correct the problem. If you identified the problem (or rather had it identified for you) but then decided “no actually this is fine” it actually looks much worse. They’re liable either way since they’re required to take all reasonable steps to prevent harassment in the workplace, thus even if they didn’t know they should have. But this just shows they DID know… they just didn’t do anything.

1 Like

That is how critical thinking works, refraining from making a judgement until all of the facts are known.

1 Like

What world are you living in? That’s NOT at all how critical thinking works. You’ll very rarely know ALL the facts. Choosing to sit on your brain until you know EVERYTHING just makes you useless… What you just described it pretty much the OPPOSITE of critical thought.

I think all squares have 4 90 degree angles… but I haven’t measured all of them so I guess I’ll reserve judgement until I’ve gotten to every single one.

:roll_eyes: Jesus man…