Activision and Blizzard relationship

I am genuinely confused about the relationship between those 2 companies.

Supposedly I’ve been told they cannot interfere with each other (ex. Blizzard making decisions for Activision and viceversa)

Then I’ve been led to believe Activision is pretty much manipulating Blizzard choices. What also made me think about this was when I was reading some articles about a prediction that OW was gonna go F2P.

What struck me was that the guy said ‘‘Activision is gonna make Overwatch F2P’’ , wasn’t OW a Blizzard game?

So, if any1 could throw some insight into this for me I would gladly appreciate it!

5 Likes

First, I’d be careful about taking outside parties’ takes on internal decisions with a bit of salt. Secondly, just because one company doesn’t directly control the other doesn’t mean they don’t influence each other.

2 Likes

Essentially Activision, Blizzard, and King are siblings. They are all underneath the holding company ActivisionBlizzard.

It’s like how Google is under Alphabet.

5 Likes

oh I assure you many take it with a massive amount of salt.

1 Like

Not enough do, sadly.

Activision is the publisher, Blizzard is the developer

1 Like

Actually I’m fairly certain Blizzard is the publisher too.

3 Likes

I wouldn’t be so sure. enough have that they have lost most of their fanbase over the years.

1 Like

Activision is just a publisher.

Blizzard develops and publishes their own games.

2 Likes

activision and blizzard are partners. They both publish their own games. activision has additional studios under it while blizzard doesn’t. Blizzard makes and publishes the games itself.

The problem right now though is that is seems lately activision is trying to eat blizzard.

3 Likes

Huh interesting, I stand corrected then :woman_shrugging:

Taking an idea from someone outside the company with a grain of salt would cause Blizzard to lose customers?
That’s like taking me saying “FF14 is going to become an FPS” with a grain of salt and quitting SquareEnix over it.

wrong kind of salt bud.

But, what is the authority Blizzard holds over its own company tho? Can’t they just tell ACT to f off

activision has in the past strategically placed people in high positions of blizzard.

So while legally activision and blizzard are equals in reality activision is very much trying to literally consume blizzard.

1 Like

Probably not but all indications are ActiBlizzard leaves Blizzard by and large to its own devices, what with it being one of the most successful parts of the business and all.

Oh that makes a lot of sense

If you want to know who is exerting more control over whom, just look at the officers of the holding company, Activision-Blizzard, and see how many of them were formerly from the Activision company, how many were formerly from the Blizzard company, how many were formerly from the King company, and how many were from outside those three companies.

Also, look at how many formerly Activision officers are now working at Blizzard and how many Blizzard officers are working at Activision.

The results may surprise many people.

/moo :cow:

1 Like

Let me hazard a guess, more Activision working in Blizzard than original Blizz-only employees?

This is why I love Taurens lol

1 Like