Achievements: Adding Incentives to Old Content

With WoW having been an MMO for nearly 19 years now there is a lot of old content already existing in the game. I think the achievement system can be used to add more incentives to doing old content in the game for things like mounts, pets, titles and toys like hearthstones. By using existing assets in the game I think there are easy ways to make doing old content more enticing.

To do this I think major meta achievements that I will call “mega” achievements now are the way to do this. The Veilstrider achievement added in Shadowlands was something I found really cool and I think the game would benefit from adding retroactive meta achievements for old expansions to encourage players to dip their toes in older content. It may not get everyone going achievement hunting but I feel it would make things more fun and get some more people to try content they may never have before.

I propose adding these mega achievements to each expansion. They are not meant to be difficult but for a player to try out a little bit of everything in the expansion. I think a general list for the meta could look like this:

• Exploration for the expansion’s continent
  • Loremaster for the expansion
  • Completion of all dungeons and raids of the expansion on any difficulty
  • Max out skill points for one profession in the respective expansion
  • Exalted reputation with all factions of the expansion

Additional achievements would vary depending on the expansion/ For example Scenarios for MoP, Garrison for WoD, Class Hall for Legion and Warfronts/Islands for BfA. I also think it would be great if the legendary cloak and ring quest chains could be added back in since those quest chains have a lot of story in them and newer players who never got to do that content should be able to experience it.

Of course with big meta achievements it is good to have rewards to create incentives to encourage players to try going for them. So I’ve brainstormed a few that can be done, some using existing assets and some new ideas. Not meant to mean all should be rewards just some suggestions of what could be:

Classic:

• Aspiring Champion title
  • Arcane hearthstone (arcane animation instead of the nature-leafy one)
  • A simple brown bear mount

Burning Crusade:

• Champion of Outland title
  • Naaru-themed Hearthstone
  • Ashes of Al’ar recolor

Wrath:

• Champion of Northrend title
  • Frosty Hearthstone
  • Bring Festering Emerald Drake from Wrath classic maybe?
  • A shoveltusk mount (just throw a saddle on one of those guys)

Cata:

• Defender of Azeroth title
  • Volcanic Hearthstone
  • Another recolor of the Obsidian Worldbreaker mount

MoP:

• Champion of Pandaria title
  • Misty Hearthstone
  • The Magenta cloud serpent but a thundering or heavenly variant
  • A son of Chi-ji mount like the Yulon mount, just throw a saddle on em

WoD:

• Champion of Draenor title
  • Iron Horde hearthstone
  • That cool Black Kor’kron Proto-drake that was a boss from UBRS

Legion:

• Champion of the Broken Isles title
  • Fel Hearthstone
  • Green variant of the Antoran Charhound

BfA:

• Champion of the Seas
  • Watery Hearthstone
  • Brutosaur mount but without being a vehicle mount
8 Likes

First of, this sounds like a great idea. It would be fun with more “interesting” titles but I like that they keep a common theme. A few more examples for expansion specific content is archelogy for Cata and the Tiller’s Farm for MoP.

While I generally agree with this, I would suggest some exceptions (probably more than this):

• Bloodsail Buccaneers
  • Syndicate
  • Ravenholdt
  • Possibly Hydraxian Waterlords/Brood of Nozdormu
  • And all PvP factions
3 Likes

Reviving this thread since the new meta achievements coming are a good example of what I like to see and hope to see more of. Links related to these at the bottom of post.

The Dragonflight version of Veilstrider is here and I’m glad. I think it is a cool idea to have a massive achievement with the expansion in mind and hope to see those done retroactively for previous expansions. The Taivan reward is interesting. On one hand I think it is a unique mount so good. On the other hand there are multiple Bakar mounts of various colors that have not been added. Maybe a unique dragonriding skin like a full-transformation would have been more apt for Dragonflight but it is hard to be disappointed with Taivan and I hope he maintains his gigantic size.

The smaller meta achievements revolving around the renown of each zones is cool. I love to see them and my only issue with them is that they be added earlier, which I hope is the case going forward with the Worldsoul saga and beyond. From what I can see all the achievements involved for the launch renowns are obtainable from launch so it is not like the Veilstrider-level meta that should wait until the end of an expac. Otherwise I think adding mount recolors this way is a good idea.

3 Likes