Account bound essences would be a net positive for the game

?

1 Like

You’re assuming people are actually going to repeat the essence grind infinitely for every alt they want to play. People aren’t going to do that, eventually they’re going to stop playing their alts because they don’t want to do the essence grind yet again. Making essences account-wide would encourage people to play their alts, because they wouldn’t have to worry about yet another essence grind.

Being actively discouraged from playing alts is a punishment in some form. Sure, it might be how the game works right now, but that doesn’t mean it’s a good system. How many alts have you actually done the essence grind on, and did you continue to enjoy it every time? If you did, I don’t think there’s any point to debating with you because you’d be incapable of understanding people that don’t like it.

If you didn’t, you should be able to understand that it’s a form of punishment, intended or no. If you didn’t do any essence grinds on any alts, I must ask: Why not?

5 Likes

I’ve asked this guy the same question in two separate threads but he doesn’t say :crying_cat_face:

Well we had the neck levels go to boa for guardians of azeroth rep in one of the patches (8.15 I think)

You mean like heirlooms and catch up gear like benthic?

Like unlgcking world quests more easily on alts?

Yup FFXIV. Where the grind is deterministic, the true end game is buying a house and getting mogs, hunting for treasure chests, where the power progression is not tied at all to doing daily quests. Rather the daily quest system is there to provide players with really awesome mogs, mounts and items that provide no power progression but are really fun to have. Where they curate the class rotations and class fantasy to make sure every class feels great. The game where the devs are holding 2-3 hour press conferences every 2-3 months to let you know how they will respond to your feedback. Yes FFXIV.

6 Likes

The use of the word “content” while technically true is a stretch here.
There are other things I would rather do with my entertainment time and money that rep grinds for the 6th time.

I’m not necessarily saying they should be fully boa but imo the game would be better off with something fairly significant to make alts more enjoyable to play.
That could be boa, or alts having 1 level lower, or another way to acquire them so I don’t have to get 30000 honor and farm the same half a dozen world quests for another 8 months, or it could be something I havnt thought of yet.

3 Likes

I mean sorry if this bothers you but when the opposition literally act like boomers would do and also chose to hide his personnal context so we can’t evaluate if what they say is worth reading or not…

if you tell me boa essences are a bad thing while you’ve done the essence grind several times like I did, then sure I’m ready to listen to what you’d have to say, but that’s the thing, you haven’t really said anything in this post that has close to 170 messages now

So until then…

OK Boomer

4 Likes

If that’s so, it just leads me to believe that they’ve either:

A) Not done the essence grind on any alts
B) Did it but didn’t enjoy it and don’t want to admit it

Could be something else, but those are the two things that seem the most likely to me.

2 Likes

Who is derailing the arguement now? They listed their reasons so you’re the idiot for asking a question already answered

3 Likes

Not necessarily. Lots of people do actually enjoy that old style model, where every toon is its own separate form of progression. I don’t doubt that he, and others like him, enjoy that progression.

Where I differ though… is that the game has strayed away from that model for literally multiple expansions. I’d say wrath was the last time (and the start of Legion admittedly) that I felt that model at play.

All I can say is that I enjoyed my first play through, I was fine with the second play through, the third and fourth were just aggravating. Now I’m almost on flat out refusal to do this again… Accept it… retail isn’t a traditional MMORPG anymore… It’s an ARPG with a consistent world hub. If you want that old MMORPG, classic is waiting for you (I say that with no derision in my voice… I really really like classic).

I’m not opposed to the idea that they actually enjoy it. It seems they would’ve mentioned they’ve done it multiple times now and explain why they like it if they do, but I digress.

One big issue with the game at this point is that, in Blizzard’s drive to bolster the game with sheer numbers, they’ve created an unwinnable situation for every type of player involved in the game. They’ve tried to cater to too many types of gamers and it’s become more and more obvious that it’s not sustainable.

Does it matter? It doesn’t change their argument that they enjoy progression at a character level as opposed to an account level.

I mean, I agree, but I’m not sure there’s a way out of this pickle. We’ll just have to see what SL brings.

Depending on how someone wants to approach debating with them on this topic, it can matter. It’s easier to understand another person’s side when they explain themselves.

There’s a way out. It’s just not a pretty one, and it would upset whoever doesn’t reap the benefits of whichever side they decide to focus on.

Blizzard used to have methods to encourage people playing alts without forcing them to do filler content like dailies.

Heres a suggestion, a class specific challenge-mode armor set that you can only get by timing all 15’s on a class. I’d go out of my way to get as many as i could. I regret not doing all of them in MOP.

There you go Blizzard theres a freebie, will encourage people to play alts until end of expansion and all it cost you was a few armor sets.

If this expansion is considered a write off then what’s the harm in unlocking account bound essences and letting people go wild? Lemme run 9 mythic TEPs a week, whats the problem?

Well said. If the content was enjoyable, not time-gated, and not repetitive, I’d see his point.

But slogging through the same junk over and over again isn’t challenging or fun in any way.

2 Likes

“”"""""""“content”"""""""""

1 Like

Not really. The argument is the argument. Tackle the ideas, stop trying to tackle the person.

You misunderstand me. I’m for BoA essences. That doesn’t mean that I think they’re going to do it.

The extra quotes is on point.

I don’t understand how they can truly see it as content - but to be honest, I see that person constantly trolling the forums when they should just play Classic where they belong.

Oh i know, I’m not attacking you - I’m just piggybacking off your comment.

I’ve asked the guy a dozen times to show any proof he’s done the essence grind once, even a second time to weigh in on the topic but he refuses. Just considering him a low effort troll at this point who keeps the thread bumped.

1 Like

Sounds about right.

We’d all be better off if he just stayed in the Classic area.

1 Like