Accepting whichever models we get

This is sort of a PSA for those who don’t keep track of Retail at all, but have strong opinions on WOW Classic having either old models or new models.

No matter which models we get, be prepared to live with it. Attempting to change those models is a violation of Blizzard’s EULA/ToU.

Retail recently had a ban wave, one that had 6-month suspensions that were later reduced to a warning, but a strong warning that continued use would lead to heavy penalties.

we found that some suspended accounts appeared to be only using the detected exploit to do client-side character model alteration. That is an activity that we would prefer to respond to with a warning, rather than a suspension, this time.

The use of third party software that modifies the World of Warcraft game client is against our Terms of Service. We expect players to remove such third party software, or their accounts will be subject to further action. Any future use of software that bypasses the security of the game client, regardless of intention or gameplay advantage, will be detected and sanctioned with increased penalties.

Source is Update to Recent Suspensions
Bolding is mine.

2 Likes

Umm, it’s been confirmed that we are getting original models.

1 Like

He is warning people not to alter their models to the new ones because they will get banned.

I say the opposite. Alter them away boys!! I want reading material in the future to laugh at

1 Like

But I want to look like Ragnaros…

3 Likes

I worded it that way mostly to (try to) avoid the arguments of which are better, as they aren’t relevant to the heads up / warning here.

There have been past threads (here in Classic Discussion) where some linked to instructions on how to alter character models, and not everyone keeps up with Retail and knows how hard Blizzard is willing to crack down on this particular kind of violation.

1 Like

I suspect that if not all, then most ppl who’d try to alter classic toons, do not really care about Classic itself. Therefore, meh.

I like how the original night elves looked.

2 Likes

I don’t know about that. For example, I love Dwarf Fortress, but my love for the game isn’t tied to the graphics.

Yeah authentic vanilla graphics are sorta out of the window already. They’ve enabled better options than what we had in classic. Plus we’ll obviously all be playing in much higher resolutions. Everything will be much smoother.

Might as well just make the character models optional. It being a client wide change, so no matter what I pick you’ll see me as your model choice.

I agree with accepting the models, but I wanna point out that they reversed a lot of those bans.

1 Like

Correct. They reversed a lot of those bans,

this time.

If you fully read what the OP quotes, they’re warning people to not do it anymore.

I know that. My statement isn’t somehow incorrect.

It is, however, a little bit beside the point.

The point that you shouldnt alter the models? Not entirely. Blizz didnt really intend to ban those users. Thats my point. OP seemed more as though they were trying to say you shouldnt cause youll def get banned, hence why they cut off half the reply and emphasized the rules instead.

1 Like

Agreed, I argued this exact reason with OP in a different thread. They have no excuse to give us a system to swap models or even as far as graphics on the fly like halo combat evolved remastered.

I can think of two big reasons to not include modern graphics.

1. this isnt a remaster.
  2. it would mean more work and could delay classic

In a business setting, ideally if you’re going to rework something to use modern technology, you should implement cosmetic eye candy systems like this to appeal to a broader range of players, because unfortunately now a days graphics sell and if its entirely optional to choose between classic and modern graphics that will appeal to a lot of people.

1 Like

And im telling you, if it delays classic updated graphics can bugger off.
Dont like that oh well.

If having multiple graphics appeals to a wider group why dont i have old models in bfa?

1 Like

I used skyrim as a prime example of this, skyrim was slated to have co-op multiplayer as an optional feature but it was removed because half of the fan base would not like it, adding optional features like this won’t will have zero impact on ones enjoyment of the game as it is you know optional and its not forced upon players.

As for that, it won’t draw old players back in, many have stated that ability pruning (which in my opinion was needed as literally 80% of your existing abilities went unused as they were extremely situational), the story telling and content weren’t up to par, but again in my opinion while the story in itself may be lacking just a tad bit but the content itself is the same as any other expansion the only difference is that people consume it as fast as a fat kid sucks in an entire cake.

And like i said, so long as giving you the option to have your precious updated graphics doesnt delay classic go ahead.

But if classic will be delayed so modern fans can have there graphics options i find that to be unreasonable.