About the new M+ and certain achievements

So, there were two thoughts that occurred to me last night, running mythics. Both of them related to achievements, and not the biggest issues in the world, but just something on my mind, wanted to see if anyone else had sort of had the same thoughts.

First… so, the Glory achievements were set-up tuned for the old version of M0, right? Fine, fine. Other than the continuing bemusement over it still being called “Glory of the Dragonflight Hero” while requiring mythic, no issue. And, again, that “issue” is just one that makes me chuckle, not a complaint. But, with new M0 being equal to the old M10, and Heroic now equivalent to the old M0… am I the only one who feels like maybe the achievements should be adjusted, to allow them to be completed on Heroic again? Just because that keeps the difficulty more or less at the same level as intended?

Second, and this is even more minor, but related - the old Legion achievement to unlock one of the artifact appearances. The one that requires an M15 clear. Before? Potentially challenging, but nothing outrageous. Now, though, its basically asking people to clear an M25 which - look, I’m not saying that’s impossible, either. But its a much bigger ask, right? So… yeah, old content, I get it, not a priority, but maybe that ought to be dropped down to completing an M5?

Again, so there’s no confusion - this isn’t like, angry or petulant or even, necessarily, a complaint. Just a realization that came to mind and thought it was worth mentioning.

3 Likes

For the glory achievement, I don’t see them changing it to be quite honest. Expansion is almost over and people can just come back to it in TWW.

As for the Legion appearances. The changes to M+ are only for this season (as of right now) so until they make it permanent thing, we can expect the key levels to return to their normal numbers with TWW Season 1, so it can again be achieved then.

Maybe they’ll change them, maybe they won’t. I’m leaning towards they won’t.

I thought they said thus was the template they were using going forward into TWW. So id bank on no. Get used to the increased difficulty of M0 (players request).

I personally enjoy it
(RIP my low.ilvl alt army)

This isn’t so much the issue. People will gear up and get it done. The +15 BoP artifact appearance kinda is, though.

I’m not sure to be quite honest. I thought it was just a season 4 thing since everyone was just flying through key levels in Season 3?

I’m fine with whatever they choose.

1 Like

Yeaaaahhhhh. To be fair, that was something meant to be done in era. And ive nothing against going back and doing content later.

But it’ll have been 6 years since it came out. I feel like thats a fairly large window of time for something before a change, changes it.

Even back then, +15 wasn’t that difficult. I’d maybe lower the key to a +5 if they continue forward with the scaling. Or make it like 10 or 20 M0s or something.

It’s not even a MT coloration. Just BoP.

I’d also gotten the impression that this was the new normal, for what its worth, and TWW would be basically the same thing. Overall, I mean, you’re not wrong - for the Glory achievements, its whatever. People will either gear up enough to do them, or come back in the next expansion (though hopefully Blizz at least makes sure they can all be soloed - will admit its still sort of annoying how some achievements that say “while the entire party” does something actually mean “while five people in a party” does said thing, but that’s another issue).

If they change back, and M15 goes back to being M15 (which is an awkward way of saying things, but here we are), then they don’t have to change anything for the other one. Though if they don’t… yeah. If this change stays, they probably should change the old Legion artifact achievement, at least.

I just feel like, in the past, when a change has changed things, they’ve taken steps to adjust things. With the somewhat glaring exception of Ordos. And again - huge issue? No. But it seems like such an easy thing to fix. Granted, I don’t know how everything works on the backend, but it seems like they could just change the 15 to a 5 and it all works again?

I mean, they let people unlock the “Dynamic Duo” achievements for hitting 70. If they didn’t change achievements to reflect changes in how systems worked, you’d need to hit… what was the last one before they squished? 140?

Kidding on that last one, obviously. Just illustrative of how they’ve changed achievements when they changed the rules before.

Thats my point. There were 6 years worth of “easy time” they could have done it in. As such, im okay if it stays with the current systems +15

“Times change, old friend”

But they didnt change anytbing in that scenario. The level was just a place holder for “X” where X was current max level

And here the requirement was, functionally, a placeholder for “5 levels below the point at which the rewards stop increasing.” Its somewhat comparative because it was the same sort of squish - both saw a reduction in the overall number of levels between start and finish.

Again, it isn’t the hugest issue if they don’t change it. But arguing that they shouldn’t change it seems kind of… gatekeeper-y. And we don’t want that, do we?

Achievements going account-wide should help with the M15 Legion issue. If you’ve ever done it, you should be good on all characters.

I couldn’t. The character that has the BoP weapon unlocked is on a different server in a dead guild and hasn’t been leveled since.

Lots of people also didn’t play during Legion and are getting it done now.

Times do change. Sometimes old things need to change with it.

I do have to agree that if the new M+ scaling is here to stay, the achievement should be modified. There’s no reason why 6yr old cosmetics should be locked behind +15s of the new system.

2 Likes

Shadowlands big meta got removed so that may not be possible.

With said, m0 are gonna go back to being cake before you even realize it. Just get gear. Same thing most of us did when we attempted the dungeon meta in 10.0.

SL meta was re-added with a new reward.

They don’t remove Glory Meta achievements. They only ever removed the rewards from the Naxxramas ones in Wrath, but never the actual achievement.

The SL Meta they removed was the expansion one, not the Glory of the Dungeon Hero. It was also re-added with a new reward in 10.2.6 when they added the DF one. I don’t think they’ll be removing expansion metas anymore.

I did mean not the glory one… otherwise would have mentioned that. But good that it came back.

I was never arguing that they shouldnt do it. Just that its perfectly acceptable, and why, if they dont. And its not really gatekeeping when its still there and still able to be done.

This is like saying because you have a level 10 warrior on another server, you cant make and level a new Warrior and do it…which is contradicted by:

They are retroactively turning old content into FOMO. You should expect to see more and more of this. They want players who might have been able to do it with the old scaling to feel bad. And buy lots of tokens. LOTS of tokens so the chosen players can earn real money from this change.