About Earth-Mother, An'she, Mu'sha, Lo'sho and Shu'halo

Earth-Mother i assume its Elune for the Taurens Mythology.

But what about the others? They are still a thing or got Retcon’d / Forgotten?
It’s been a while since I’ve seen anything related to them.

Shu’halo is the name for the tauren in their native language. The Earth-Mother is creator being in tauren mythology, with An’she and Mu’sha being both her eyes.

Mu’sha is likely a reference to Elune herself, since Mu’sha is described as The Pale Lady and Mother Moon. Which is what the Kaldorei sometimes refer to Elune as. An’she is likely related to light, and I believe was said to be mortally wounded in ages past.

5 Likes

There is also the fact that Mu’sha is referred to as the mother of Cenarius in Tauren Myth. With Malorne still being his father. The difference between Tauren myth and Night elf myth around Elune and Malorne mating is the involvement of the Tauren. In Tauren myth, they hunted the elusive ‘white stag’ until it took refuge with the moon. Where the two fell in love. Night elf myth makes it so that Elune and Malorne simply fell in love regardless. (this is a massive oversimplification though).

3 Likes

The Earth Mother religion is nonsense. Thanks to Shadowlands we know the only religions that actually matter is Elune and the Light.

1 Like

Earth Mother lore as presented in the Folk and Fairy Tales of Azeroth is weird, and honestly at times, incompatible with the rest of Warcraft’s world building.

Every bit of speculation about her story that I’ve seen essentially just boils down to associating existing names to characters in the story such as Mu’sha being Elune, which while she is canonically deemed as such, feels as if the Tauren just looked at Elune and said “yeah, that’s totally Mu’sha” without regard for how this would make any sense in relation to the Tauren myth or the existing lore.

(Unless you’re suggesting that the Earth Mother is a First One, it makes little sense for the mother of Elune to be anything else, given that the Winter Queen is her sister and her body was made in Zereth Mortis)

The best bet for who the Earth Mother actually is would either be Azeroth, Eonar, or a currently unrevealed member of the Life Pantheon.

Everything else about her makes very little sense as we know it currently, from her confusing story, to the fact that it makes significantly more sense for the Tauren to originate from a Bovine Wild God than from someone depicted as looking human-shaped in Folk and Fairy Tales of Azeroth.

That said, the biggest issue here is that it’s kind of a weird look to say that every religion on Azeroth has varying levels of legitimacy to them, except for the Tauren, who got pretty much everything wrong about everything.

1 Like

I know it sucks, but thems just the ropes. Tauren mythology is wrong. Sometimes it happens, where a culture needs to grow up and face the realization that their belief system is outdated and has to get thrown in the dustbin as discoveries about the true nature of reality come to light.

The world isn’t supported by flying turtles in space. Science doesn’t bend over backwards to support that nonesense.

It’s uh, a weird look when the culture that’s aesthetically similar to indigenous people’s is the objectively incorrect one, but the religions that are more aesthetically similar to say, Christianity turn out to be actually right, don’t you think?

7 Likes

Pretty much my point, just didn’t want to explicitly say it like that as I highly doubt anything was meant by it.

That said, to be charitable to the writers, nobody really got the FULL picture right, mostly just aspects of the bigger picture.

While the Tauren seemingly got 99% details objectively wrong historically speaking, it’s clear that they have spiritually connected with something, as the Grimoire of the Shadowlands notes that (much to the confusion of the Broker writing the book) the Tauren are able to delay having their souls ferried to the Shadowlands by the Kyrian, remaining in the mortal world and watching over their loved ones.

This leads me to think that there is something that has a pull on their spirits, likely An’she based off of the added context in the blurb at the top of the page discussing Tauren funeral pyres, so the real question is “Who/what is An’she (and the other Tauren gods)” as their actual mythology is wildly off base and they seemingly attribute these roles to any similar being (such as Azeroth being the Earth Mother or, again, Elune being Mu’sha), even if it doesn’t make any sense.

1 Like

I should note that Xal’atath has a Moon symbol on her face and used to be an Eye…

She might be Mu’sha in which case An’she is An’shuul who is currently separated from his Eye body… Most likely because he fell into the Void due to excess bleeding where it got stolen even as Mu’sha was shoved into a Dagger.

As for where the Void put the Eye… Probably gave it to C’Thun whose Eye was apparently sold to someone… Probably Xal’atath…

shadowlands wasnt real
change my mind

1 Like

It is canon just like everything else. Sadly. Otherwise I would ignored WOD and Bfa.

WoD and BfA are canon too, you can’t ignore them just like this :dracthyr_tea:

Earth-Mother actually has more correlations with Azeroth itself, especially with the reveal that she is in fact a Titan, and at least according to third party sources is a “she”.

Mu’sha is the Tauren name for Elune.
An’she in turn is the Tauren name for the Sun
Both in Tauren mythology are “eyes” of the Earth Mother, and is actually pretty important to their mythology as a whole.

Lo’sho is the name of the Blue Child, Azeroth’s second Moon.

Shu’halo is the Tauren endonym, their name for themselves. Think how like Germans call themselves Deutsch.

1 Like

Their ymthology is not backed by facts. Their godess never showed up unlike the Light and Elune who aides the worshipping races many times before.

Ok but this isn’t real life and Blizzard can literally just make the Tauren right about something whenever they want.

I, for one, choose to believe that all sources of the Light and its power comes from An’she. The Naaru are just tears of An’she shed across the universe and they all draw their power from him.

4 Likes